Matching Fp Inks To Hobonichi Monthly Colours

Purplecate

I haven't quite finished May but I think it's going to be the Monami Olika Olive. I was really surprised how different it looked in my Pilot Metro (the pen I usually use in my Hobonichi) and in the EF vintage Hero I have - it was almost a different colour. (Sorry - can't get pics to format right side up - they look fine when I take them but seem to randomly align here!)

post-145419-0-43441200-1559137555_thumb.jpg

and here are my options for June, a dark greyish green with slight brown overtones:

post-145419-0-85386000-1559137618_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purplecate

• VivaTerlingua

• amberleadavis

• Anne-Sophie

OK, so got a little out of synch and busy with other stuff. But if anyone's interested, here were my options for May (an olive green):

post-145419-0-70745600-1564659175_thumb.jpg

and I did go with the Monami Olika:

post-145419-0-82147300-1564659235_thumb.jpg

June was dark green and I went with my own mix:

post-145419-0-94463200-1564659299_thumb.jpg

and July is a greyish turquoise. These were the options I had:

post-145419-0-24158900-1564659344_thumb.jpg

and I went with Birmingham Ink's Fountain Turquoise as I love their slightly greyed colours:

post-145419-0-73522000-1564659407_thumb.jpg

Coming up for August: a soft blue black/grey with purplish overtones. Here is my selection to try but I'm leaning towards another custom mix I made as I don't have a full bottle of Birmingham's Midnight Horizon which is probably a better match:

post-145419-0-03797000-1564659536_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So, I did go for my Platinum Mixable custom mix in a soft blueish grey (which I've called Pidgeon) for August:

post-145419-0-92731600-1567256252_thumb.jpg

September had what I thought was one of my least favourite colours for the month, a sort of mid reddish brown, but once I started colouring them in, I realised I quite like some of these colours. I'm leaning towards Monteverde's Joy, a lovely warm brown:

post-145419-0-13812400-1567256387_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So Sept was Monteverde's JOY:

post-145419-0-22660800-1569853092_thumb.jpg

Oct is purple, here are my choices:

post-145419-0-16873200-1569853146_thumb.jpg

Closest is probably Birmingham's Midnight Horizon, but I only have a sample of this so I'll probably use my own mix which I made up from the Platinium mixable inks last year.

Can anyone tell me why my photos are upsidedown? They're OK in file explorer...

• 1 month later...

post-145419-0-75620900-1573566065_thumb.jpg

So OK, I did go with my mix for October, although Krishna's Anokhi was a close second. It's a little cooler than my mix but I liked it so much I used up a whole fill of my Moonman M2 eyedropper.

For November, which is dark green but a cooler/bluer colour than June, I have a few selections including a couple of the Sailor Studio inks:

post-145419-0-08235800-1573566375_thumb.jpg

I leaning towards using Sailor Studio 462 in a wet nib to see what it does. Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine is a good match but I find it a little too clear, I prefer my colours a bit dustier or greyed, and I only have a sample of Pelikan Edelstein Olivine.I'm also a fan of the Beaufort Scots Pine but again, I don't have much of this.

• 2 weeks later...

So, November is a blueish green and I originally had Birmingham's Fern Hollow Creek for this month. I love that it writes blue but dries a blue green but it's still a little too blue to be a perfect match. I invested in a some of the Sailor Studio inks and I really like them all - especially the dual-colour inks. No. 462 is one of these in that the base colour is a greyish blue green but it dries with purple overtones when applied heavily and this is my pick for this month. It's a little greyer than the monthly tab colour but it shades nicely too:

post-145419-0-41791500-1575200693_thumb.jpg

December is a soft faded warm red. I don't have many reds and I couldn't find one I really liked last year so I mixed my own using the Platinum Mixable inks. I still love this - though it may not be everyone's idea of red - but there are some other options. I think the Akkerman Steenrood van Vermeer might be good in a finer pen to lighten it up and I also like their Garuda Rood. Mars Curiosity might work and I Noodler's Rabaul Red is another contender:

post-145419-0-56497000-1575200903_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, last one. December's red is a soft, faded, almost pink rather than a strong colour and I had a lot of fun trying out different inks. I quite liked Akkerman's Garuda Rood but this was a little browner than the month tab (my base for choosing the closest colour match). I do like their bottles though. In the end I went with my mix again as I really like this colour for this month. It's made up using the Platinum Mixable inks which I've slowly been collecting, using the following proportions if anyone wants to give it a try:

0.5 ml Sunny Yellow

0.5 ml Earth Brown

2 ml Flame Red

2 ml Platinum Dilution Liquid

6 drops Smoke Black

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year, best wishes for 2020.

post-145419-0-90376400-1578389921_thumb.jpg

I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at these inks purely as a colour match for the Japanese Hobonichi Planner Daily Pages. I haven't changed most of them from my initial choices and I'm really pleased with the set as a group, but I'm going to keep on exploring new options, including the suggested Pilot 100th anniversary ink, if I can get a sample. I was also given some ink for Christmas so will see how this matches up, however, I won't be posting any more to this thread, so here's the final round up:

post-145419-0-29795800-1578396990_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2020 at 5:38 AM, Purplecate said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at these inks purely as a colour match for the Japanese Hobonichi Planner Daily Pages. I haven't changed most of them from my initial choices and I'm really pleased with the set as a group, but I'm going to keep on exploring new options, including the suggested Pilot 100th anniversary ink, if I can get a sample. I was also given some ink for Christmas so will see how this matches up, however, I won't be posting any more to this thread, so here's the final round up:

post-145419-0-29795800-1578396990_thumb.jpg

Hi! I know this an older post, but I wanted to say thanks for following up with it & updating it for the entire year. I'm new to the Hobonichi Cousin this year, & this is a great reference.