Matching Fp Inks To Hobonichi Monthly Colours

Purplecate

Since succumbing to the Hobonichi Cousin last year, I have been enjoying matching my fountain pen ink colour to that of the daily pages. The Japanese versions of this planner has lovely, slightly dusty, faded vintage colours which change for each month. The whole page is printed in that colour - grid, Japanese quote, date and day markets etc. So I thought it would be fun to write using a matching ink - a great excuse for exploring some of the glorious colours now available and a built in excuse for changing inks regularly. This idea was inspired by a blog I saw (sorry, can't remember who) where the writer had done a similar project but using gel pens.

I know everyone's experiences of ink colour is different, depending on pen, nib, paper, how heavy-handed your are, phase of the moon (who knows? Maybe) but I thought someone out there may be doing something similar and we could share our thoughts.

Anyway, here are my selections so far:

January: burnt orange - Monteverde Fire Opal

February: bronze brown - my own mix using Platinum mixable inks

March: pinky purple - Herbin Larmes de Cassis

April: red pink - Colorverse Sea Europa

May: bright olive - KWZ green Gold Ii or Monami Olive

June: grey green - another custom mix - see above

July: grey turquoise - Birmingham Pen Co Fountain Turquoise

August: blue grey - another custom mix - see above

September: warm brown - Krishna Vaikhari

October: grey purple - another custom mix - see above

November: pine green - Birmingham Pen Co Fern Hollow Creek

December: faded red - another custom mix - see above.

As you can see, I've ended up mixing some colours myself - lots of fun, and I'm less happy with some of the other choices so will need to explore further. For example, I find the Herbin colours a bit watery but haven't yet found a similar colour to Larmes de Cassis; the Krishna Vaikhari is a nice colour but not quite yellow enough... I generally stick to relatively easily available inks and would like to expand the brands but I like this selection as a first pass.

I should add that I'm using a Pilot Metro with a Plumix EF or F calligraphy nib.

If anyone else is doing this, I'd love to see your choices or generally, any thoughts.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purplecate

• VivaTerlingua

• amberleadavis

• critterfriend

Is it the Cousin for this year?

I think some Hobonichi span multiple years.

I have to admit, I don't know most of the inks, you are mentioning.

I believe it is the first time, I have heard of Platinum mixable inks.

So many great information!

Thank you for sharing your journaling path.

I used to journal with one ink per month.

But, I find that a new ink, every day, is more fun.

I use loose leaf paper since I never know, how long or how little I will write, for the day.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I do this too! 2018 was my first year for it and here is what I had:

January: Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun

February: Rohrer & Klingner Solferino

March: Nagasawa Kobe #3 Old Foreigners Ward Sepia

April: KWZI IG Turquoise

May: Nagasawa Kobe #62 Nunobiki Lavender

June: Robert Oster Verde de Rio

July: Nagasawa Kobe #63 Higashi Yuenchi Torch Orange

August: Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

September: Bungubox Clown Tears

October: KWZI Old Gold

November: Colorverse Gravity Wave

December: Sailor Jentle Shigure

And to start 2019 in January I will do Nagasawa Kobe #51 Kano-cho Midnight.

Edited by VivaTerlingua

Anne-Sophie - yes, it's the annual Original and Cousin A5 (though I think the A6 original has the same format). Not the English language versions - for some reason these are all printed in grey only - a real shame. Have fun looking up these inks, they're some of my favourites.

VIvaTerlingua - fabulous! Just what I was hoping for - I'm off to investigate the inks you list. Thank you so much for this.

Hi VivaTerlingua

Just started looking at your colour selections - how did you decide what ink to use each month? I'm trying to find a match for that month's colour but I think your choices are based on other criteria. Haven't found any matches but some lovely colours in that list of yours and I was aware of the Nagasawa inks but haven't used any.

Hi VivaTerlingua

Just started looking at your colour selections - how did you decide what ink to use each month? I'm trying to find a match for that month's colour but I think your choices are based on other criteria. Haven't found any matches but some lovely colours in that list of yours and I was aware of the Nagasawa inks but haven't used any.

I have the English version of the original Techo, so there aren't any color codings to match up with. Everything is in black ink, except for Sundays which are printed in orange. I am also starting the 5-year journal so I can use 60 colored inks all in one book that will span the rest of my education and first year of my career! Usually it is just choosing an ink from a hue that I personally associate with the months themselves.

Sometimes it is a color I associate with a holiday during the month, like Solferino for Valentine's Day in February.

Sometimes it is a color I associate with the weather during the month, like Fuyu-syogun and Kano-cho Midnight for the dark, grey weather of January, IG Turquoise for the rain of April, Kobe #63 for the heat of July, Topaz for clear sunny days of August, or Shigure for the winter showers of December.

Other times it is a color I associate with the plants of the season, like Kobe #3 for the brownness under the melting snow of March, Kobe #62 for spring flowers in May, Verde de Rio for the green grass in June, or Old Gold for the changing leaves in October.

And for whatever reason I associate reds and burgundy with September, and teals with November. I am starting to make a list of colors that I would like to use in 2019, and this is what I have so far for reference:

January - Nagasawa Kobe #51 Kano-cho Midnight for the short days and long nights

February - J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune for a similar reason as above but with a dusty purple instead

March - Stipula Musk Green or Robert Oster Melon Tea for the muddy greens seen under the melting snow

April - Robert Oster Thunderstorm for the rains

May - Something colorful for the spring flowers, like maybe J. Herbin Diabolo Menthe

June - Something sunshiny like Kobe #33 Rikyuu Moon Yellow or Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus

July - Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki for the summer heat (despite the name "winter persimmon")

August - Another bright blue of some sort for the summer sky

September - Maybe another burgundy like Colorverse Dark Energy

October - Not sure but thinking maybe Monteverde Fireopal for changing leaves and seasons

November - Thinking something like Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho or some other hay-like color for the dying grass and early freezes of November

December - Kyo-iro Soft Snow of Ohara for the start of the snowy season

Edited by VivaTerlingua

Hi VivaTerlingua

What lovely explanations for choosing colours. Makes my wish to match colours with the printed pages seem very mundane but I shall persevere. I wondered if you were using the English-language version of the Hobonichi. I think it's a real shame that they didn't use the same colours in that as they do in the Japanese version. I don't speak Japanese so miss out on the daily quote (I guess I could try an instant translation service) but this is more than compensated for by the lovely colours Hobonichi use in their daily pages in the Japanese version. These are lovely soft colours and make me think of Japanese woodcuts or kimonos. Thanks for your input, I love some of the inks you mentioned and will try out some of your colours in different places. Have a good festive season.

• 1 month later...

Hi Purplecate,

I've just started doing this as well. So far my selections are:

January - Colorverse Methuselah Tree

February - Robert Oster Melon Tea

March - still looking

April - Robert Oster Plumb Nut (very similar to Sea Europa)

May - Bungubox 88

June - still looking

July - still looking

August - still looking

September - J Herbin Lie de The

October - Organic Studio Jane Austin Violet

November - Noodlers V-Mail G.I. Green

December - still looking

I'm so glad I found your post and will be checking out some of your colours. I am having such a nice time getting ink samples and trying to find the best match.

Hey Naydene

Great to hear someone else is interested in this. You've chosen some colours I'm not familiar with so I too will be hunting down some samples. What pen do you use? I've found different pens unsurprisingly give different results with the same ink. And I've sort of cheated a bit by mixing my own with the Platinum mixable inks. Still having lots of fun with this, hope you do too.

Do you all want to do these as CRVs?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hey Naydene

Just inked up my Pilot Metro with some of the Robert Oster Melon Tea I have as a sample, I like it as a match for Feb. It's not quite as dark as my custom ink but I do like these bronze-y colours. Have you looked at the Callifolio inks? I like the dusky colours and Bonne Esperance is a great name for a soft blue grey for July or August. Or I also like Diamine Denim.

Do you all want to do these as CRVs?

Like comparing swatches of all 12 at the end of the year? I've been doing Col-o-ring entries for my (2 thus far) inks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry for delay in getting back to this, been busy.

Still unsure what a CRV is but if I can work out how to post a photo, I'm happy to put up some swatches. I got a great fountain pen stamp (thanks Mountain of Ink) so I'll play around with some formats and show you what I've got. Just found an alternative to the Melon Tea for Feb: Noodlers Rome Burning and I might try out KWZ IG Turquoise as an alternative to the Birmingham Fountain Turquoise...

OK' so here are my inks for Jan & Feb:

Jan : burnt orange

post-145419-0-05152600-1551967069_thumb.jpeg

post-145419-0-48870100-1551967150_thumb.jpeg

Feb: bronze

post-145419-0-65570400-1551967203_thumb.jpeg

post-145419-0-59762800-1551967226_thumb.jpeg

Hope this works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi amberleadavis - sorry, I'm still a bit of a newbie, what's a CRV?

Co-Razy Views Sort of a multi person review or comparison.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300379-random-inkscrv-explanation/

Check out the 2018 threads:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300379-random-inkscrv-explanation/

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

Hi amberleadavis

Thanks for the explanation, will look at the threads and see what to do. Sounds like a fun idea but not sure I can wait twelve months to see everyone's swatches. Perhaps we can do a month by month comparison? Anway, will look into it, in the meantime, here's my April:

post-145419-0-53379200-1554826293_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what I decided on for April: another Platinum iron-gall: Cassis Black:

post-145419-0-46635300-1557241816_thumb.jpg