De Atramentis Document White

lgsoltek

Amongst the De Atramentis Document inks there is a White. Fellow FPN-er Morbus Curiositas has reviewed it before, especially on its use for mixing with other Document inks to achieve some pastel colours. Here I'm focusing on its standalone usage.

Document White is, frankly, a mostly useless ink - who writes with WHITE ink anyway and what's the use for that? But it's fun to play with. I love it.

Bottle

fpn_1544958450__white_bottle.jpeg

Splash

(on white paper)

fpn_1544958464__white_spl_white.jpeg

(close-up)

fpn_1544958468__white_spl_white_close_up

(on black paper)

fpn_1544958472__white_spl_black.jpeg

(close-up)

fpn_1544958478__white_spl_black_close_up

Writing samples

As expected from a white ink, the colour is more visible on black paper. On white paper it's basically invisible. The ink writes very smooth and wet. Haven't noticed any feathering or bleeding (but it's really hard to tell!).

(on black paper, Canson Mi-teintes Noir 160g, thanks Inkantadora for the paper)

(with Pilot Elabo/Falcon Soft-Medium)

fpn_1544958824__white_sample.jpeg

fpn_1544958996__white_black_close_up_2.j

(with Pilot Parallel 2.4mm)

fpn_1544958830__white_sample_parallel.jp

fpn_1544959004__white_black_close_up.jpe

(on Tomoe River, with Pilot Elabo/Falcon Soft-Medium. As expected, it's barely visible.)

fpn_1544959061__white_tomoe.jpeg

fpn_1544959067__white_tomoe_close_up.jpe

(on Maruman looseleaf, with Zebra G dip nib)

fpn_1544959111__white_maruman_dip.jpeg

(still wet)

fpn_1544959122__white_maruman_dip_wet_2.

fpn_1544959117__white_maruman_dip_wet.jp

fpn_1544959127__white_maruman_dip_wet_cl

fpn_1544959132__white_maruman_dip_wet_cl

XX-resistance?

As is shown on the writing samples on black paper above, this ink is mostly resistant to water, but water still removes some white pigment. It's also resistant to bleach. However, this ink is not "rub-resistant". Even when it's totally dried, you can rub off some white pigment with your finger (± nail) or an eraser.

fpn_1544959472__white_bleach.jpeg

The more coated the paper is, the easier to rub off the (dried) writing. Here on the inside of the cover of a Rhodia:

fpn_1544959215__white_rhodia_cover.jpeg

Artsy-artsy

As I said, the ink is more practical for playing with than for writing.

Some "landscape" sketch in the Nick Stewart manner:

fpn_1544959581__white_artsy.jpeg

fpn_1544959585__white_artsy_close_up.jpe

Here I paired it with L'Artisan Pastellier Gris de Payne. A colour combo that reminds me of a gloomy snowy day.

(Document White on Gris de Payne)

fpn_1544959684__white_splash_work_on_gdp

fpn_1544959690__white_splash_work_on_gdp

(Gris de Payne on Document White)

fpn_1544959770__white_splash_work_gdp_on

fpn_1544959775__white_splash_work_gdp_on

You can even use it to write an (mostly) invisible message. Here it is on white paper, then drawn over with another ink.

(I give up. I tried all kinds of codes and options and I still can't embed a Youtube video here. Link: https://youtu.be/paEBdKfseTA)

Final remarks

One final warning is that this ink seems to stain. My pipette, syringe, sample vial that have been in contact with this ink all have a film of white pigment left on them. It could be wiped off but not totally.

The pigments in this ink will settle so it's better to shake before use. I have it in a Pilot Parallel, and after not using for two day the pigments have settled and the pen writes a half white half transparent line.

All in all this is quite an interesting ink to play with, even though it's not really a practical ink for daily use.

Edited by Lgsoltek

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• Morbus Curiositas

• Patrick L

• LizEF

...Youtube video here. ...

Loved that video! The artsy uses were fun too. I have a bit of a sample left of this, and may try it on a black ATC. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review. This looks to be an interesting ink, but my experience with some of the other D'A Document inks is that there is a lot of spread -- and that Archive Black (which doesn't spread) is very dry -- and even the ones that do spread are a lot drier than most of the other D'A standard inks (except for Anthracite/Albrecht Dürer, which is also really dry). It actually -- somewhat weirdly -- reminds me of the white-white icing color that Wilton makes (which has a different "feel" to it than their regular paste food colors.

​I understand that there is stuff you can get to help with mixing the other Document inks (basically a thinning agent). Have you tried it with this ink? I was curious as to how well it works.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great presentation! After receiving a sample of this ink I mixed it with silver lustre powder and used it to address and decorate a red envelope with a dip pen as the resultant mixture was quite thick. It wasn't mailed though, just placed in a box with the gift.

Thank you for the great review!

Fascinating stuff! It looks like it would be fun to play with.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Wow you made a work of art :happyberet:

Excellent review I love the landscape you made :thumbup:

Just as with yellow inks this inks is unusuable unless used for special purposes like art work.

White ink seem to be a problem. It is not easy to make as far as I understood from Dr J. The pigment is not easy to use since the particles are pretty large...

My advice do not use this in an expensive pen especially when the nib and feed cannot be seperated.

All other pens rinse regularly!

All artists have fun :happyberet:

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

This is a great look at an ink. I like this one and Whiteness of the Whale for inky artsy projects.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the review. This looks to be an interesting ink, but my experience with some of the other D'A Document inks is that there is a lot of spread -- and that Archive Black (which doesn't spread) is very dry -- and even the ones that do spread are a lot drier than most of the other D'A standard inks (except for Anthracite/Albrecht Dürer, which is also really dry). It actually -- somewhat weirdly -- reminds me of the white-white icing color that Wilton makes (which has a different "feel" to it than their regular paste food colors.

​I understand that there is stuff you can get to help with mixing the other Document inks (basically a thinning agent). Have you tried it with this ink? I was curious as to how well it works.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

No I haven't tried that thinning agent. I've tried the Fog Grey Document ink as well, and that one feathers and bleeds horribly. The White seems to behave much better.

No I haven't tried that thinning agent. I've tried the Fog Grey Document ink as well, and that one feathers and bleeds horribly. The White seems to behave much better.

Will mention these Issues nect time I talk to Dr J.

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

This is one of better whites I've had the pleasure of seeing a review of! It's almost enough to make me want to get some dark papers for it!

Does that make me an “inkfluencer”? LOL

Cool that's better me my self feel more like an Inkoholic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Amazing review! Wonderful photos and artwork. You truly are an inspiration.

If many of you haven't seen this review in awhile, take another look. This thread deserves a bump.

"O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever." Psalm 118:29