Rubber Plunger Keeps Coming Loose In Vac Mini

eharriett

I am debating between a penBBS456 and a WingSung 699. I’m leaning towards the 456.

I got a couple of the Wing Sung 3013s. They work fine, but they are super cheap. My one gripe is that when you screw the plunger down, they don't seal. They are definitely not in the same category as the Vac700r.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• JonnyTex

• marcelo

• Redpanda

Anyone else have this problem? I put it in and it stays, but moment I try to draw up ink, the plunger come off the stem. Any ideas on a fix? Should I glue it on?

A pain in the (bleep). I love the pen, but experience the exactly same issue, even having the plunger changed. Getting tired of it.

I packed it in. Got a penbbs 456 instead. No problems since. I do not think I’ll be returning to TWSBI anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have this problem? I put it in and it stays, but moment I try to draw up ink, the plunger come off the stem. Any ideas on a fix? Should I glue it on?

I do. Such a shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. In both my 580 and Eco.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

I'm sitting here in front of my Eco with a stem in my hand and a plunger stuck down deep in the barrel. Can't reconnect them and even my fancy dental tools can't budge the plunger. Please don't scold me for lack of maintenance. This pen has only been filled three times and when filled it's been an everyday carry. I have two 580s as well and they've worked fine. If the key to keeping an Eco functional is dismantling it and greasing it every time one cleans it or fills it then it seems to me it's a product not ready for prime time at any price.

Twotracker2

The First Law: "We work to become, not to acquire." --Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915)

The Second Law: "Simplicity is the exact medium between too much and too little." --Sir Joshua Reynolds (and many others)

The Third Law: "Don't believe everything you think." --Bumper sticker (author unknown)

I have three TWSBI's, 540, 580, and mini. All have had various cracks and the two larger ones have had frozen pistons that have come off of the piston rod, several times each. I removed the section and the piston assembly each time and used a straightened large sized paper clip inserted into the opening in the section end of the barrel to push the rubber piston out of the barrel through the open piston end. Ample silicon greasing has restored the piston's functionality. Until the next failure.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the rod around where the seal seats, and the inner ring of the seal?

I've done this on a 580/mini and I did it on my Vac700(until I did the dumb and dropped the seal down the sink) and it seems to cure this, at least for a long period of time