Rubber Plunger Keeps Coming Loose In Vac Mini

eharriett

Anyone else have this problem? I put it in and it stays, but moment I try to draw up ink, the plunger come off the stem. Any ideas on a fix? Should I glue it on?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• JonnyTex

• marcelo

• Redpanda

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my vac700r so I took it to the PIPS Cafe the distributor of Twsbi pens in Thailand and he solved the problem without any charge. :D

So I reached out to TWSBI about it and they suggested coating the plunger with the silicone grease. I did that, and also coated the sides of the barrel with a very light film and it seemed to help. The plunger stayed on. I have not yet filled the pen but I will try again shortly. My only concern is if ink is in the pen for awhile, the silicone grease will come off and that stopper will fall off with all the opening and closing of the valve I'll be doing when the pen is in use.

Hopefully, my fears will be unfounded. If not, it may be grounds for separation between me and my TWSBI, possibly the whole brand.

I think that problem might be connected with small difference between certain series of these pens. Namely , I have to VAC 700's - one in smokey color fro very early series where there is and extra hard plastic ring securing rubber part, and about a year and a half younger amber model that is missing this hard plastic ring.

I'm traveling and a bit far from home where both pens are. Once I'll be back will take pictures and post them on the forum.

I have the same problem with my ECO! I have given up on it as the piston is stuck. The feeder hole enterance in the barrel is so small in the eco that I can only get a needle into it to push the piston down with. The needle is too short though so the piston is stuck half way. Not to mention that my barrel cracked after a month so I had to get a replacement.

I have resolved to not using the piston at all on my 580 AL and filling it with a syringe because I am afraid of the same thing happening. My love for TWSBI pens have turned a bit sour. Too many problems.

round-letter-exc.png round-postcard-exc.png

I have the same problem with my ECO! I have given up on it as the piston is stuck. The feeder hole enterance in the barrel is so small in the eco that I can only get a needle into it to push the piston down with. The needle is too short though so the piston is stuck half way. Not to mention that my barrel cracked after a month so I had to get a replacement.

I have resolved to not using the piston at all on my 580 AL and filling it with a syringe because I am afraid of the same thing happening. My love for TWSBI pens have turned a bit sour. Too many problems.

I have never heard of a piston getting stuck on a TWSBI before. They do include oil for the piston and if the piston starts getting sticky you can use the included wrench to take it apart and oil it. I don't think I have ever had to oil a TWSBI piston. I have had to oil some Pelikan pistons but those were 8-10 years between oiling. If you don't feel comfortable in oiling a piston seal it might be best to stick to pens that use converters. They are much easier to maintain and if you like changing colors a lot are a lot nicer.

I have never heard of a piston getting stuck on a TWSBI before. They do include oil for the piston and if the piston starts getting sticky you can use the included wrench to take it apart and oil it. I don't think I have ever had to oil a TWSBI piston. I have had to oil some Pelikan pistons but those were 8-10 years between oiling. If you don't feel comfortable in oiling a piston seal it might be best to stick to pens that use converters. They are much easier to maintain and if you like changing colors a lot are a lot nicer.

I had changed the barrel due to it having cracked and then used the new barrel. I did put silicon grease on the piston prior to inserting it but maybe it was not enough. It has now come appart and I cannot get it out. I would include a picture but I dont know how to upload one here. It would have been easier to fix had it not coem appart completely.

round-letter-exc.png round-postcard-exc.png

• 2 weeks later...

You haven't taken care of your TWSBI! You must grease/clean the parts to keep it running. First, gently turn the piston about 3/4 of the way down, not all the way out, but far enough that you can fit the wrench in. Screw out the piston mechanism, and do the following steps very carefully. Slowly, with a steady hand, hold onto the piston mechanism to keep it from moving itself and turn the knob to retract the piston. As soon as the piston budges, get your silicone oil and drop a generous amount down the barrel from the piston mechanism side. If the silicone grease isn't coming out, use some pliers and a napkin to squeeze that tiny bottle. After a bit, the piston will be sufficiently greased to be pulled the rest of the way out. Repeat holding the piston mechanism and screwing down the knob until it retracts all the way out.

Don't fear, but you MUST take good care of your TWSBI pens to use them. Don't syringe fill, use and maintain the piston mechanism as it was meant to be.

Edited by surprise123

• 8 months later...

So I reached out to TWSBI about it and they suggested coating the plunger with the silicone grease. I did that, and also coated the sides of the barrel with a very light film and it seemed to help. The plunger stayed on. I have not yet filled the pen but I will try again shortly. My only concern is if ink is in the pen for awhile, the silicone grease will come off and that stopper will fall off with all the opening and closing of the valve I'll be doing when the pen is in use.

Hopefully, my fears will be unfounded. If not, it may be grounds for separation between me and my TWSBI, possibly the whole brand.

I have reached out to TWSBI about that same thing. I coated everything with piston grease, and it works a little better, but after a week inked up, it falls off the next time I try to empty it, and I have to take it all apart to get the ink out and clean it. It's a pain in the neck. My 700r has been my workhorse pen for over 2 years. It didn't develop that problem until a year ago. I feel pretty good that a new rubber plunger part would fix it. Wish they would have just sent one to me instead of telling me to grease better. That said, I have a 2 other issues, and TWSBI has taken care of those for less than a total of $10. I'm pretty dang happy with their customer support -- just wish they would be as helpful with this dadgum plunger.

• 3 weeks later...

I just contacted TWSBI and let them know I was having this problem (again). I clearly stated that I had cleaned the pen and greased the plunger, and it continued to give me trouble. I promptly received a note that they would be happy to send a plunger if I would paypal $5 for shipping. Now, I have a plunger I will install the next time I clean out the pen.

I just contacted TWSBI and let them know I was having this problem (again). I clearly stated that I had cleaned the pen and greased the plunger, and it continued to give me trouble. I promptly received a note that they would be happy to send a plunger if I would paypal $5 for shipping. Now, I have a plunger I will install the next time I clean out the pen.

Yeah. That’s my issue. I’m not sure the appropriateness of having to pay $5 for that part. A small gasket? A letter costs 55 cents US mailing right now. And even for 55 cents I am not sure I should have to pay for a pen barely a year old that has a wear part, especially think I paid about $70 for the pen.

Dang it...I must be doing something wrong..Having never striped down any of me TWSBI's on a routine basis....Nope...

nor do I grease every time after a good flushing including TWSBI Diamond 530................................However..after readin' above I'm learning....

Fred

Saddict; One who thinks on misery.............

You haven't taken care of your TWSBI! ...

Don't fear, but you MUST take good care of your TWSBI pens to use them. Don't syringe fill, use and maintain the piston mechanism as it was meant to be.

What makes TWSBI piston fill pens need more frequent care than any other companys piston fill pens? This doesnt seem like a regular care issue, it seems like a build quality issue.

If people repeatedly dismantle TWSBI pens that adds to wear and tear on the threads, and increases risk of cracking.

Instagram @inkysloth

• 2 weeks later...

What makes TWSBI piston fill pens need more frequent care than any other companys piston fill pens? This doesnt seem like a regular care issue, it seems like a build quality issue.

If people repeatedly dismantle TWSBI pens that adds to wear and tear on the threads, and increases risk of cracking.

I think when they updated the piston mechanism on the Vac 700r, the removal of the part at the end of the plunger increased the probability of the rubber part sliding off the end. They removed the other part to let ink flow more freely.

I have no complaints. I don't mind replacing a rubber plunger every 2 years.

Here's a video from Goulet showing the change in the plunger:

The 700 before the redesign plunger was just like the Pilot 823 mechanism.

I have decided to not repair it. I'm going to replace. Repairing with overpriced parts long before expected wear times are in just does not strike me as the right thing to do.

even with a new seal in my 700R, when I try to remove the piston for cleaning, it comes off. It doesn't have an issue while filling though, so I just live with it.

my mini is fine.

My old 700R that got stolen didn't have the issue.

I think it's manufacturing tolerances on the barrel or perhaps the rod.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

even with a new seal in my 700R, when I try to remove the piston for cleaning, it comes off. It doesn't have an issue while filling though, so I just live with it.

my mini is fine.

My old 700R that got stolen didn't have the issue.

I think it's manufacturing tolerances on the barrel or perhaps the rod.

Yeah. That doesn't bother me too much. The top of the barrel seems a little smaller than the rest. That's probably where mine began falling off. I wonder if you could get it really clean without pulling it all the way out. I wouldn't think it would need grease every time you cleaned it. Just a thought. You might, also, send a note to Goulet's team. They seem to have tons of experience with the TWSBI stuff. They might have a long-term solution.

I have decided to not repair it. I'm going to replace. Repairing with overpriced parts long before expected wear times are in just does not strike me as the right thing to do.

I guess now that I've moved up to mostly Japanese gold-nib pens, the idea of $5 for a plunger doesn't bother me. Hahaha. I spent $35 and about 14 weeks of my life repairing a Sailor 1911 Large this past summer. (Believe me. I understand if someone has a problem it's me, not you.)

If you like the vac-filler, you might try the PenBBS pens. I like them a lot, but now that I've moved up to Japanese gold-nibs, I'm not really in the market anymore. I really like the PenBBS pens I have.

If you decide to go to a different TWSBI -- I hear great things about the 580 piston-filler -- remember they are a smaller nib. That's part of why I went to the 700r: I wanted a #6 nib I could swap with other #6 nibs. There are so many options out there in #6.