Can Someone Help Me Identify This Vacumatic I Inherited?

bateneco

My grandfather recently passed away, and one of the items that he left to me was a Parker Vacumatic. I have tried to figure out more about the pen from online articles and unofficial Parker collector sites, but so far have not had much luck. It seems that this particular pen is somewhat different than many of the most common subtypes. I was hoping that someone here might have the expertise to help me identify the when it was made, the subtype/style, and any other relevant information that could help me in appreciating this final gift from my grandfather. While I would never sell it, any insights you had regarding its value would also be greatly appreciated.

I have uploaded several photos of the pen's various elements to this album: https://imgur.com/fpngallery/ne786kA

Some of the features of this pen seem somewhat rare or abnormal:

- the blue diamond on the clip is actually black (perhaps due to age?)

- the band around the bottom of the cap is silver in color and comprised of fine horizontal lines (seems like a different design than most)

- nib has an arrow etched on it, but is gold (not two-toned)

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to any information you can provide!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mitto

• bateneco

• nsalvut

Top Posters In This Topic

Parker Vacumatic in Silver Pearl celluloid made in 1945

Blue Diamond Clip Black Jewel on Cap with Jeweler's Band

Major size with plastic plunger. Your pen will restore and clean up very nicely.

For your consideration a Profile of Parker Vacumatics by Richard Binder

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/vac.htm

And welcome enjoy your time here....

Fred

Thanks for the help! Excited to learn more about this pen. As far as use, do you think I'd need to get it cleaned/fixed before use? I honestly have no idea if any maintenance has been done on it since 1945. If I were to just load it up with ink and give it a go, would it mess anything up?

Same pen, same model/finish and same year of production. See how it is restored/refurbished. There are two parts.

But as you lack experience as well tools, I would advise you send the pen to a professional restorer to repair it for you.

Best.

Khan M. Ilyas

Looks like 4th quarter 1945 from the date code.

The cap band is interesting -- I've never actually seen one like that (I have a 1st quarter '46 Silver Pearl Major, with the "standard" band for a Major, so your pen is just a few months older than mine ;) and a little more unusual.

No idea of its monetary value -- but given that it was your grandfather's, I'd say it's priceless -- I wish I still had the (unknown make at this point) pen/pencil combo that had been my grandfather's....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've never seen one of the third gen pens with a skinny jewelers band. While the pen itself is not rare, the cap band is a little special.

Nothing special 'bout the Stacked Coin band.

Jeweler's bands..just show that the original purchaser had good taste & since they

were in school ( located along the Charles River } in Boston to....Shreve Crump & Low to purchase.

Redacting: Additionally, {for the OP/anyone else} good read on How to Replace a Vacumatic Diaphragm with Illustrations by Mr. Richard Binder.

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/repair/vac.htm

Fred

Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness...............

Edited by Freddy