Ka-Bu-Co- 16B / Osmia 226

EdwardSouthgate

In the mail and thought I'd share some pictures . Ka-Bu- Co according to the seller is the German Office Supply Company Kaut - Bullinger & Co and this pen is made by Osmia . It is the same as an Osmia 226 so is their large pen . The clip is a very nice but uncorrect replacement so I will be on the lookout for a correct one . #6 Broad flexible nib . Here are a few of the sellers pictures .

Eddie

PS: Forum wont let me post the other two pictures for some reason . I tried resizing by 50 % but it still won't accept them .

post-145609-0-37484300-1544739575_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-64319500-1544739599_thumb.jpg

Edited by EdwardSouthgate

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EdwardSouthgate

• Bo Bo Olson

• Christopher Godfrey

• Kaweco

Semi-flex and quite a large # 6 nib.....

There are at least 6 different Osmia clips....4-5 different finals.

So I'd bet the clip is authentic. There are 'pure' generic clips also; at least two types. One's that looks like an Osmia clip, with out the Osmia stamped in it.....and then there are the fancy ones.

Unlike other companies, Osmia allowed the customer a chance not to brag what pen they had. Generic clips, three non-brag Finals................I guess some folks are understated, but still want a fine pen. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It was delivered today . I have some Violet Quink on the way that I may use in this , I like purples and have nothing inked with it right now . Clip says Refograph .

post-145609-0-36292300-1544890921.jpg

Very nice, 'unusual' clip.

Don't know the term or company, Refograph......

There are some semi-vintage Reform 'Refograph' technical pens on Amazon. They are cheap versions of Technical pens, no where near Rotwing technical pens.....stylograph type pens....which have been around before fountain pens.

That pen don't look technical to me.

Perhaps Thomas will chime in on if that is an original clip. I'd expected the Ka-Bu- company on the clip.........but I am not as knowledgeable of course as Thomas or Illan or one or two others.

I just have my half dozen or so, with some differences of clips and finials. Sometimes I can find D Cell batteries for my flashlight.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Only markings on the pen are KA BU CO on the cap reading bottom to top and 16 at the tail end ot the barrel by the blind cap.

B

Osmia did make pens for others....like Akkermann department store in Holland.

The pen does look to be mid-late '30's and is a button filler which Osmia did favor then....in there were only so many ways a piston pen could be made....and Pelikan did have a patent it bought.

;) Another pretty pen, with a very nice nib.....nice big nib. :)

Nice fancy cap ring too.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

Unlike most of my other button fillers this one is not balky about drawing ink , one push of the button is really all it takes . I filled it last night from an old ink well Skrip bottle , filled the well to the top , inserted the nib , pushed the button and it sounded like somebody flushed a toilet ! Pretty much sucked the well dry . It is a good sized pen , along the lines of a streamline Duofold . It has become attached to my pocket and will probably root out one of the Montblanc's that live in my every day etui . Condition is very nice but not so much so that I will be hesitant to carry it .

Eddie

I saw this beauty in the auction site, good catch! I hope you will post a writing sample for us?

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I was a bit slow that the company name was also on the nib.....

It was delivered today . I have some Violet Quink on the way that I may use in this , I like purples and have nothing inked with it right now . Clip says Refograph .

Refograph was part of Reform

Look at this page:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/28721-reform/

Te example shown is a piston filler, but most manufacturers (Kaweco, Osmia, etc) also made button fillers in their earlier models.

Edited by whych

One can be very forgetful.....easily. I'd forgotten what Thomas had said about Reform.

There was a time when Osmia/Degussa not only made nibs for other companies, but made pens too.

Still a pretty pen, with a great nib.

I'll have to get down to the museum, soon.

If I drive instead of taking the streetcar, I can avoid the the B&M with it's inks, and the Subway cookie trap.

OH, yes............got to get down town. :) :thumbup:

I've shown pictures before of Thomas's pen museum...it's all his stuff, perhaps 1/3 is all there is space for. He really had to twist townhall's arm to get use of a Art Nouveau 1900's fire station...across from the oldest castle in the Heidelberg area...one from 12-1300.

Once Heidelberg was the pen capital of the world.

Had he been able to put in an industrial gitter second floor, he'd have lots more exhibits. But some drunk climbed up on a city square monument and fell off killing himself, so the city wasn't going to let Thomas build something high enough that a drunk visiting the fountain pen museum would climb on the railing and fall off.............drunks don't visit fountain pen museum's but city hall is full of ball point users; so they don't know better.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

• 4 weeks later...

I have been <trying> (hard, so hard!) to upload some small photos to this thread for comparison with an actual 226...and keep on getting "Error: This upload failed" messages! Grrrrrr! So frustrating. Sorry, all: I think this would have been interesting, most especially to the OP, EdwardSouthgate.

My beautiful 226 came from Christof in Switzerland a few years ago and has one of my very best nibs of all the pens I own, including really flexy, vintage Pelikans!

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

I am lucky and have 7-8 Osmia/O-F-C pens, from medium-small to medium large, and the steel nibs are as good as the gold. Only company to mark their semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex nibs (Supra).

I only have two ones with color, one black, grey and pearl 540, some plain, some BCHR...and a full tortoise. I do count my late '30's Boehler pens as Osmia's....same model number, same clip and finial on two, a Boehler finial and fancier clip on the other. I have a Boehler full tortoise 54...late '30's.

The company's name comes from Osmium....Early '20s a Heidelberg Professor invented a Osmium tipping compound that was years ahead. The Boehler brothers bought up the patent and named their brand new pen after it, Osmia.

I have been <trying> (hard, so hard!) to upload some small photos to this thread for comparison with an actual 226...and keep on getting "Error: This upload failed" messages! Grrrrrr! So frustrating. Sorry, all: I think this would have been interesting, most especially to the OP, EdwardSouthgate.

My beautiful 226 came from Christof in Switzerland a few years ago and has one of my very best nibs of all the pens I own, including really flexy, vintage Pelikans!

Send the photos to me and I will try to post them. I tried to send you a pm but when I clicked send it said you could not receive any more private messages . Look at post Can No longer Post Photos under Members Helping Members . It will explain another way to post pictures after your personal storage space is used up .

flyrodz12atyahoo.com

Thank you, Edward. Wilco! (Later today: got to go out right now) So...my PMs need to be threshed and winnowed, do they? That would make sense...and would explain all. Thanks, mate!