• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• Intensity

It is not so hefty - the silver one, 780 Euro or 880 USD (calculated from the Japanese prices).

--

Wanted to post the list of festivities - I forgot that this forum is so international that you cannot post many Kanjis.

So, check at the bottom of the Platinum page.

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/fountainpen_century_the_prime.html

Edited by mke

I mean... it's solid platinum. Not platinum plated.

That price is not unreasonable for a solid platinum pen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Exactly - the pen is 90% pure Pt - Pt900.

And the nib too - Pt790 - so 79% Platinum.

And the name is Pt1000 - 100% Platinum.

The section is ??

Edited by mke

Of course they make their coveted soft medium nib available on this pen. I wish they'd put it as a regular option on the 3776.

It's a pretty package but definitely not my thing. More power to them, though.

Of course they make their coveted soft medium nib available on this pen.

I think it's more interesting that Platinum is not offering the limited silver edition of this pen with either a regular Fine or a regular Medium nib.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

i really like the look of the silver version. price-wise, not so much. i can imagine it must be a hefty pen in weight.

-rudy-

I mean... it's solid platinum. Not platinum plated.

That price is not unreasonable for a solid platinum pen.

So, how much are they going to be?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So, how much are they going to be?

The list price is JPY 1,000,000 (ex tax) for the limited platinum edition, and JPY 100,000 (ex tax) for the limited silver edition. I'd imagine paying the 8% consumption tax that applies in Japan will be unavoidable, if you want to secure one of the 100 units of the limited platinum edition pens. JPY 1,080,000 works out approximately:

• AUD 13,353
  • CAD 12,861
  • EUR 8,453
  • GBP 7,600
  • HKD 75,005
  • USD 9,596
at today's exchange rates. Importing (as opposed to smuggling) such an item into Australia would incur 10% GST liability and possibly additional duties.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh, what have I done? :gaah:

A good deal came up for one of these pens, and I just had to take it, even if that particular pen on offer isn't fitted with my preference of nib. I just have no self-control whatsoever. I have no idea if I can live with writing with it, but the Fear Of Losing Out was just too great. :unsure:

> A good deal came up for one of these pens

Confess, which one? Eventually, we might give you absolution.

Edited by mke

Oh, what have I done? :gaah:

A good deal came up for one of these pens, and I just had to take it, even if that particular pen on offer isn't fitted with my preference of nib. I just have no self-control whatsoever. I have no idea if I can live with writing with it, but the Fear Of Losing Out was just too great. :unsure:

Jesus, how much did you pay?

You know you owe us a review now.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Not having the desired nib is a bonus! Now you can justify having the nib customized to your specifications!

I have a Platinum with an Ultra Extra Fine nib!

Edited by wspohn

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

It's just the silver model and not the platinum one, but I still paid more for it than I have ever paid for any other pen (by a hair), because the Aussie dollar is now far weaker than it was during my first rush of acquisitions six years ago; on the other hand, less than half what apparently is the MSRP for it is in the US.

As for a review, I don't think I'll do one, because while I respect the published 'rules' regarding the format of pen reviews on FPN, I also strongly disagree with them in more ways than one, so I believe the proper thing to do is for me is to simply refrain from writing and posting a pen review here my way. To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to ink it and write with it, given that it has a (Japanese) Broad nib.

Right now I'm not sure what I'm going to give my best man after my wedding in a few months' time, so I might give him one of the (Aurora and now Platinum) 100th Anniversary limited edition pens I bought this year. Not that he has any appreciation of or experience with fountain pens, but he might think it looks good to have one with him in the boardroom, and he probably prefers a "signature pen" with a broader nib anyway. I can tell him what the hell it is that I give him, but it'll probably take someone (other than me) among our "community" of fountain pen enthusiasts to go, "Wow!" at him before it'll really register on his consciousness. Ah well, friends can't be perfect (and neither am I).

How I wish the offer was for a unit of the "The Prime" pen with an SF nib, given (sadly) it isn't offered with a regular rhodinated 14K gold 'nail' of an F nib or even M nib, which would be a particularly good match for the hefty and unyielding feel of a solid silver barrel! As it stands, it's more of an opportunistic "land grab" than any realistic expectation that I'll enjoy using the pen myself.

That whole FOLO, "gotta grab that opportunity before the next person jumps on it" thing is my chronic ailment. I mean it; I probably "wasted" more than a few thousands of dollars because I just so completely fail to prevail over it, even though rationally I can see it for what it is. One of these days it's going to seriously ruin me.

Welp, you took the idea, and killed it dead.

Just get the nib meistered. I don't really think you'll ever see your money out of it again anyways unless you got a SCREAMING deal.

I was mostly interested in that solid platinum nib and how it writes. Curious to see if platinum gave it flex or if it's a nail.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Give the Aurora and keep the Platinum.

Platinum B is a nib size which I could get accustomed to - and I usually use Exropean Fs.

This Platinum B is not a signature pen sized nib.

Edited by mke