Safari For $11.5? M405 Stresemann For $215?

clear1

But now I see they are offering like 133 dollars for pietra marina

To be fair, when I was looking at it earlier (just after you prompted me, with your earlier post), they'd priced the Pietra Marina identically with the Limited Edition Devil's Kiss, but it seems they've since changed the price.

Oh, and I was wrong: now looking at the Leonardo Momento Zero Devil's Kiss and Furore Red Passion side by side, at least from the product marketing images, it appears the Devil's Kiss resin is a deeper red.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• A Smug Dill

• anonymous3715

• Theroc

I find the Pelikan M815 at $425 to be a much more tempting deal. Not that I find the M815 any more appealing than the M805 Stresemann, but I haven't seen it offered at this price point ever.

https://endlesspens.com/collections/special-limited-edition/products/pelikan-m815-metal-special-edition-fountain-pen

Edited by Theroc

I find the Pelikan M815 at $425 to be a much more tempting deal. Not that I find the M815 any more appealing than the M805 Stresemann, but I haven't seen it offered at this price point ever.

https://endlesspens.com/collections/special-limited-edition/products/pelikan-m815-metal-special-edition-fountain-pen

Having both, I can tell you that the Stresemann pales by comparison to the M815. It is not even fair (and that seems to be what most that have both think). The M815 photos don't do it justice.

That price is fantastic for a M815.

Cult Pens in the UK does not charge a premium for EF nibs, and so it is the first place I look by default. La Couronne du Comte sometimes don't charge a premium for EF nibs, and that's the second place I look (and it's often cheaper for certain brands of pens).

Not bothered about EFs, but buy from both these excellent sellers for their service and prices. Niche Pens can occasionally beat Cult Pens'deal, so it's always worth checking. Sadly, most local sites just can't compete with Europe, although Peters of Kensington do have some of the best local prices and are always worth a look.

Glenn.

Not bothered about EFs,

The sad thing is that even paying extra for factory EF nibs from Pelikan and Lamy does not actually guarantee, or even give a high level of confidence in, getting nibs that leave a smooth, consistent and thin enough line of ink befitting the nib width grade.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Having both, I can tell you that the Stresemann pales by comparison to the M815. It is not even fair (and that seems to be what most that have both think). The M815 photos don't do it justice.

That price is fantastic for a M815.

Thank you, for your input. Not that I particularly enjoy the added temptation. :D :wacko:

> Leonardo Momento Zero Devil's Kiss and Furore Red Passion

They are different colors, one is bluish and the other is yellowish red.

I pre-ordered one of the Devil's Kiss LEs. I always wanted a red pen, so now I have one.

With the promotion code and Free Shipping to Japan, it was irresistible. Looking forward to delivery in April.

Thank you, for your input. Not that I particularly enjoy the added temptation. :D :wacko:

Oh, you're welcome. I'm always happy to spend somebody else's money! :D

I just place another order with Endless Pens, this time for three Pelikan pens and some inks, after Savannah took the time to chat with me and somewhat address my concerns. Let's hope this transaction will be one for which I will favourably revise my opinion of dealing with Endless Pens (and perhaps US retailers in general), in comparison to European sellers (LCdc, Fontoplumo, Cult Pens, and the now sadly defunct Bureau Direct), from the perspective of a customer not based in the US and have no objective reason to prefer US retailers.

Edit: Ah, the order has shipped already! That's quick.

Edited by A Smug Dill

Nice! Congrats!

I hope you like it.

I love mine.

I have to say I love the added heft. And the way Pelikan pulled off the finish is also impressive.

I thought the brass "ribs" would be embedded in the resin. That doesn't seem to be the case.

It seems to me that the barrel is brass overlayed with resin and then etched and plated.

Regardless how they did it, the end product is seamless.

I just had a look what the shipping cost to Japan for ink is. $50 for 5 bottles with the slowest method.

Last weekend, I sent an EMS parcel with 10 well-packed bottles of Sailor Ink to US for less.

I have to say I love the added heft. And the way Pelikan pulled off the finish is also impressive.

I thought the brass "ribs" would be embedded in the resin. That doesn't seem to be the case.

It seems to me that the barrel is brass overlayed with resin and then etched and plated.

Regardless how they did it, the end product is seamless.

I'm glad you like it.

I also like the added heft, and I hope that they continue with this line.

Which nib did you get?

I just had a look what the shipping cost to Japan for ink is. $50 for 5 bottles with the slowest method.

Last weekend, I sent an EMS parcel with 10 well-packed bottles of Sailor Ink to US for less.

That is not their fault, shipping from the US is crazy expensive nowadays.

> That is not their fault.

I know. Just shocked again. This price increase of US postal services had consequences.

I stopped buying with American sellers - at 80-90%.

However, the price increase didn't lead to better service - lots of damaged parcels from the US - especially when they were priority-shipped.

Less problems from Europe, India and China - and from US, when not priority-shipped (using Swiss and French postal services).

Yes, the price increase didn't make the service better in any way. To the contrary, it came at the same time that the quality of service decreased exponentially.

Until 2-3 years ago prices were reasonable and service was stellar. Now, it is a complete disaster.

I'm glad you like it.

I also like the added heft, and I hope that they continue with this line.

Which nib did you get?

I got the fine. They only had broad or fine. Extra-fine would have been my preference, but a medium-like wet fine from Pelikan is a nice addition to my collection. I thought about getting the broad and sending it to Mr Masuyama for customization, but he's already taken (deservedly) enough of my money for now.

> That is not their fault.

I know. Just shocked again. This price increase of US postal services had consequences.

I stopped buying with American sellers - at 80-90%.

However, the price increase didn't lead to better service - lots of damaged parcels from the US - especially when they were priority-shipped.

Less problems from Europe, India and China - and from US, when not priority-shipped (using Swiss and French postal services).

Yes, the price increase didn't make the service better in any way. To the contrary, it came at the same time that the quality of service decreased exponentially.

Until 2-3 years ago prices were reasonable and service was stellar. Now, it is a complete disaster.

Unfortunately, it will only get worse unless the US and the Universal Postal Union can come to a sensible agreement.

Currently the US is set to pull out from the UPU. If that goes through shipping prices to and from the US will go up. Pricing will be fairer, probably, but higher in general.

The US would have to negotiate agreements with any/all countries separately. So there's the possibility (in principle, at least) that postal service from/to some countries will not be available anymore, or be fulfilled through 3rd-party services only, in which case costs will be ridiculous.

Edited by Theroc

Just a quick mention that this discussion has shifted to postal/shipping costs in general.

Anyone dropping in to read "general shipping/post issues" on This (page 6) only, could easily assume the company "endless pens" is problematic, when that leap is an error.

Endless pens fulfilled orders admirably during the busiest business season, with reports of excellent customer service as well. < that, & their introductory pen prices began this topic. "New Business Market Watch". Their packaging & shipping has been noted as reasonable.

Their packaging & shipping has been noted as reasonable.

As a matter of fact, Endless Pens has started offering free international shipping for orders above a certain threshold (US$149, if I'm not mistaken, but I cannot find where it's stated on the web site right now). That is much appreciated.

their introductory pen prices began this topic.

Its price for the Pelikan M405 Stresemann is now US$198 (and with no 'EF tax' if you want an EF nib).

Edited by A Smug Dill