Safari For $11.5? M405 Stresemann For $215?

clear1

Alas, none of:

• Cult Pens in the UK
  • La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands
  • Pen Gallery in Malaysia
  • Komamono Honpo in Japan

offer nib customisation as an additional-charges-apply option, and sending a pen overseas after I received it in Australia to one of the several nibmeisters/nibsmiths that (more vocal members of) the FPN user community seem to hold in such high regard will cost more than $50 in (one-way) postal charges. Even if Endless Pens' asking price for the Pelikan Souverän M600 Vibrant Orange fountain pen (without the EF nib 'surcharge'), plus shipping to Australia, only amounts to US$292.75, slapping a US$150 expense on top (and several months' waiting) in the name of customising the nib to a 'true' EF would make it very uneconomical. For US$150, I could get two Japanese pens fitted with properly Fine nibs that I trust I would enjoy using right out of the box – after inking it first, of course.

I haven't yet heard of any good nibsmiths operating out of Australia.

Yeah you're kind of boned down under for fountain pens. Your exchange rate sucks for some reason, shipping sucks, and MSRP's are outright insulting - the faber castell loom is like $100 AUD?

If you really like the vibrant orange, maybe drop Pablo at FPnibs.com an email and see if he can order one for you. I know he's ordered nibs for me that were not listed on his page, and he performs customizations for an INSANELY reasonable price (and his work is top f**king notch. my XXF superflex 14k JoWo will keep up with any dip nib) He's very helpful and despite being based in Spain, his english is excellent. Shipping from spain to Seattle was only $28.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• A Smug Dill

• anonymous3715

• Theroc

There was a wall made of beautiful stones surrounding a city.The stones were so pretty that everyone who saw the wall took one as a memento.It didn't take long for the wall to fall.Not one person felt it was their fault.
The upside of that would be, instead of having a surrounding wall that promotes isolation and introspection, the city is now more open – in both directions – to the outside world. That has to be a Good Thing™ in line with prevalent First World doctrines today, even if it puts the 'identity', 'heritage' and/or 'culture' of the city at risk of being diluted or 'corrupted' by imported influences. :lol:  
Whenever I hear someone complain about the disappearance of mom-and-pop shops I ask them how much they've spent on amazon and other online purchases before this happened.
I, for one, don't believe in keeping my net worth in cash (or my bank balance) with which to line my coffin one day. I have spent many thousands of dollars on online pen and ink purchases (and don't ask me about my running and 'outdoor' gear), and will have many thousands more to spend on discretionary consumer purchases. If and when 'mom-and-pop shops' are prepared to offered me as much as Amazon has delivered to me in exchange for my money, they're more than welcome to a fair share of my spending.It's a commercial arrangement, and neither a social compact (when none has been explicitly entered into) nor a question of 'community' allegiance or loyalty (where none is warranted).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The upside of that would be, instead of having a surrounding wall that promotes isolation and introspection, the city is now more open – in both directions – to the outside world. That has to be a Good Thing™ in line with prevalent First World doctrines today, even if it puts the 'identity', 'heritage' and/or 'culture' of the city at risk of being diluted or 'corrupted' by imported influences. :lol:

I, for one, don't believe in keeping my net worth in cash (or my bank balance) with which to line my coffin one day. I have spent many thousands of dollars on online pen and ink purchases (and don't ask me about my running and 'outdoor' gear), and will have many thousands more to spend on discretionary consumer purchases. If and when 'mom-and-pop shops' are prepared to offered me as much as Amazon has delivered to me in exchange for my money, they're more than welcome to a fair share of my spending. It's a commercial arrangement, and neither a social compact (when none has been explicitly entered into) nor a question of 'community' allegiance or loyalty (where none is warranted).

There is definitely a limit to how much I'm willing to spend. I won't buy a platinum 3776 at a nearly threefold markup from a US retailer. Amazon gets that money. But convenience for me is just not worth as much as it is to so many people.

I find my interactions with smaller businesses to be far superior, and I consider part of the premium I pay from a good retailer to be a simple fee for customer service. Amazon can be a headache sometimes. Big retailers have big black and white policies. Coles of London told me to pound sand when I approached them a month after getting my homo sapiens and deciding that I wanted to exchange it instead of having it reground myself, because I was at 37 days and they only warranty a nib for 30 days. Goulet not only took care of me, but swapped it for an EF, tested it, and threw in an $80 visconti pen case for free. I paid probably about $50 more for it from goulet than I could have elsewhere, but even excluding the awesome free (expensive) pen case, I'd have been up sh**t creek without a paddle if I bought it from some amazon or ebay retailer.

Good customer service is worth money. It's an intangible for most, yes, but I will stand by companies that stand by me when I have called on them. Shark helmets will be getting my money for as long as they're in business (or until they do something to warrant I no longer support them) because when I had a problem, they first tried to fix it but when the fix failed they said "tell you what, the new model just came out. what color do you want?" BFG video cards warrantied a graphics card for me when it was two months past its expiration. I bought my video cards from them exclusively until they went under, even though their stuff was a little more expensive, because I've had companies like ASUS treat me like (bleep). EA, activision, ubisoft, and a few other major "AAA game studios" makes a lot of video games I really want to play. But their blatant, disgusting anticonsumer behavior means that I have to forego a lot of things I'm really interested in because I cannot in good conscience support their vile business practices. I will soon spend a little more money every month just to avoid using comcast internet because they are a reprehensible company. I'll never use verizon again after their appalling customer service and anticonsumer behavior.

Smaller businesses are also more flexible and able to purchase and find back ordered stock or offer services that require skilled (and expensive) labor. Edison and franklin cristoph offer nib customization that you can't get from a mass market product.

I definitely don't blindly support businesses that don't earn my respect. Just because it's a "mom and pop" doesn't automatically earn it my support, but when I have a positive interaction with them, I will be more likely to be a repeat customer. And repeated positive interactions that show me a pattern of support, I'm more likely to support.

I also vote with my money. I buy some things on Amazon, yes. But I've also seen how the company has destroyed the Seattle housing market and largely thanks to them I can't afford a home in my area. So I don't invest in amazon stock. I believe in the world before the supreme court ruling that decided money was speech. Corporations used to have ethical responsibilities to the communities they serve. I don't invest in companies that don't do this, no matter how good their dividends are. My conscience is more valuable than a little hardship.

I'm also a little more sensitive to it than most because I work for a distasteful company that, in my region at least, treats its employees like dirt because they know they have the de-facto monopoly on service for the area. We're going on strike on friday for just that reason. Sure, shareholders may enjoy a bigger dividend because they treat their medics like dirt with garbage wages and (allegedly) poorly serviced, ancient ambulances, but at what cost to the citizens in that area (we have an enormous turnover rate due to wages and it's a simple fact that more experienced medics are better than less experienced ones) and the medics that have to pay rent in that area?

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

But convenience for me is just not worth as much as it is to so many people.

From where I sit, so to speak, ordering online from:

• Amazon.com(.au),
  • eBay,
  • Rakuten (Rakuten Global Market or Rakuten Ichiba, both operating out of Japan),
  • AliExpress,
  • Pen Gallery,
  • Cult Pens,
  • La Couronne du Comte,
  • fountainfeder.eu,
  • Peter's of Kensington (quirky department store, which I have mentioned before, in my home State of New South Wales in Australia; has its own retail web site, but also sells via eBay.com.au),
  • Myer (Australian national department store chain; has its own retail website, but also sells via eBay),
  • LarryPOST (domiciled in NSW),
  • Milligram (domiciled in a neighbouring State)

(to name a few) is about just as convenient as each other procedurally speaking; effective all-inclusive expense and lead time for delivery, as well as the level of trust – and/or available recourse, if things go south – are the main differences.

I find my interactions with smaller businesses to be far superior,
That is not my personal experience with Australian mum-and-pa businesses, who (I do understand) often cannot 'afford' to wear the cost of just refunding unsatisfactory transactions (with or without the customer returning the items by post at the sellers' expense) and call it square. Amazon the behemoth, and UK sellers both large and small, have generally been superior in that regard.

Endless Pens would fall into the same bracket of convenience.

and I consider part of the premium I pay from a good retailer to be a simple fee for customer service. Amazon can be a headache sometimes.
Whereas Amazon has been so forthcoming in offering full refunds for issues that make fulfilment of orders slightly wrong, I almost feel bad for being on the receiving end of so much 'grace', and so I keep buying from Amazon things I don't really need.

Big retailers have big black and white policies.
Oh, but I personally like that very much. Seriously: please don't treat me as a person with feelings, but just follow the company's policies to the letter. I'll take personal responsibility for managing my own feelings and not worry about 'your' business profitability; 'you' just do what 'you' said 'you' would, and let me work out for myself what is a smart move (or what would be a stupid decision on my part).

Good customer service is worth money.
Yes, and sadly even David Jones (our last remaining 'premier' national department store, of which I was a shareholder once upon a time, cannot match and much less surpass Amazon.

It's an intangible for most, yes, but I will stand by companies that stand by me when I have called on them.
I would consider it as a manager of a business that needs the ongoing 'support' of business 'partners' in the operational realm. As Joe Consumer, no company 'stands by me' in the time of need; there are only smooth transactions and not-so-smooth ones (in other words, screw-ups), and how particular businesses have behaved in the face of screw-ups where I'm the stakeholder.

I'm also a little more sensitive to it than most because I work for a distasteful company that, in my region at least, treats its employees like dirt because they know they have the de-facto monopoly on service for the area.

Many years ago, in my impetuous youth, in spite of my mercenary mindset I acquired a personal distaste for the the dominant national telco, to the extent that I 'swore' I'd contribute my time, effort and brains (if asked) free of charge with no strings attached to 'hurt' the corporation. One day I ended up on its payroll as a permanent employee; and then I realised the error if my 'ways' and the unreasonableness of what some consumers expect of the corporation by virtue of it having a $4 billion annual revenue and more resources than most. It was just business – and I read, memorised and understood the hundreds of pages of service agreement terms more than most people in the corporation – and I just could not side with people (like the young man I once was) who though 'social justice' or 'the common good' demanded that the company capitulate in every dispute in spite of clearly stated terms of the commercial transactions.

If the business failed to live up to the terms of the explicit agreement with which it entered into with the customer, I did my best to ensure the customer got their entitlement. If the customer is wrong and expects too much, I made sure I 'explained' it such that management wouldn't yield other than for profit or strategic reasons, and did my best to let the customers understand where they overestimated their entitlement and their importance.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Those who want to buy with Endless pens should do, those who don't want, shall stay with their choice. It's such easy.

Some try to get the good deal with low prices.

Some try to get the good deal with so-called additional support.

Don't question the morality of each sort of buyers.

Dill, you simultaneously make me laugh and scratch my head. The differences in how two people can view the same set of circumstances is just fascinating. You and I could be a two man case-study for psychologists :lol:

I will get a little indignant here, and tell you that when it comes to my personal issues with my current employer, I doubt you have ever been reimbursed at minimum wage for delivering two babies. In one week. In the field. One nuchal cord. Or performing CPR on a newborn on new year's eve. Or losing a five year old to spontaneous cardiac arrest. Or picking out the details in a drunkard's rambling that he's actually an abuse victim and staying with him for several hours until you can personally speak to a social worker. I've brought life into this world. I've seen it leave. I've snatched it back from the very jaws of death itself. And I still make minimum wage.

Bastards never even gave me my stork pins. Those can't cost more than fifty cents each.

The social contract matters. Companies have just as much of a duty to the communities they serve as they do to their shareholders. My dad managed to pay his employees well while never having a union dispute and giving back to the community, and retired with a legion of happy employees, happy customers, and happy board of directors. Henry ford proved it at the turn of the century. Doubled his employees wages, cut their hours in half, and his profits skyrocketed (we'll just gloss over the fact that he was a huge antisemite for the purposes of this discussion) black and white policies serve no purpose other than to protect oneself (and one's shareholders) from liability and serve as a blind cop-out in almost every situation. It fosters an attitude of bureaucratic middle management, full of people whose job consists of nothing more than ensuring that they have a job at the end of the day.

We could also just have completely different world views because we also live in different countries on different ends of the earth. You don't have to live with gun violence like I do as a medic in america, either. But I get pens way cheaper :P.

Edited by Honeybadgers

There is definitely a limit to how much I'm willing to spend. I won't buy a platinum 3776 at a nearly threefold markup from a US retailer.

<big snip>

I definitely don't blindly support businesses that don't earn my respect. Just because it's a "mom and pop" doesn't automatically earn it my support, but when I have a positive interaction with them, I will be more likely to be a repeat customer. And repeated positive interactions that show me a pattern of support, I'm more likely to support.

I also vote with my money.

<snip>

I'm also a little more sensitive to it than most because I work for a distasteful company that, in my region at least, treats its employees like dirt because they know they have the de-facto monopoly on service for the area. We're going on strike on friday for just that reason. Sure, shareholders may enjoy a bigger dividend because they treat their medics like dirt with garbage wages and (allegedly) poorly serviced, ancient ambulances, but at what cost to the citizens in that area (we have an enormous turnover rate due to wages and it's a simple fact that more experienced medics are better than less experienced ones) and the medics that have to pay rent in that area?

I hear you! Good luck with the strike. You deserve not just better, you deserve the best! God bless you and keep you safe in your work.

My youngest son is a Paramedic in SC, and he just switched to a county service from working for a top-paying contractor; yes, lower pay, a longer drive to work, but up-to-date equipment, new ambulances -no kidding- as often as needed, and truly fair treatment of employees. Best county EMS in the carolinas as a result. (He has also had his fill of GSW and stabbings from gangs in Augusta GA for a while! I used to be a Peace Officer, so I fully understand.)

Years ago I used to train everyone who wanted to become an EMT in northern or central Vermont in ARC Advanced First Aid. It was a prerequisite then for entering EMT training. My top trainers were all experienced ski patrol people. Tough folks, really knew their stuff! Man, how times have changed.

Brian

I agree that where to shop is a personal choice, and the experience depends on the circumstances... no right or wrong...

By the way, the Pelikan M205 DUO highlighter is really a good deal on Endless pens !

The MONTE GRAPPA by Montegrappa Fountain Pen too is a good deal.

I don't have any Italian pens - so I bought a red (coral) one. My Christmas present for myself.

I got the last red one. The blue one is also sold out.

Edited by mke

The Aurora 88 Sigaro Blu seems to be at a good price, and I do like the look of the pen, but it's a shame that it's a piston-filler (OK, I guess that earn zero points with me, but is not necessarily a minus to the desirability of that pen) and has a glossy smooth metal section to boot! No deal.

I would have pulled the trigger on the Aurora Alpha in red, if only it was still offered with either an EF or (at the widest) a F nib. I received my Aurora Alpha in black with EF nib a couple of weeks ago, and I quite like it, although I wish the barrel looked as dark as most of the photos of that model of pen showed.

Quote from Dec post above

Putting my limited money where my much larger mouth is and based on my pencil buying experience, I have just ordered a Lamy Studio. I would like to replace the 'M' nib with a 'B'. Anyone have any ideas how?

This is a follow-up on my second purchase from Endless Pens. I ordered the Lamy Studio on December 18 at 4pm PST. It was just delivered by USPS to my door at 4pm on December 21. Great protective packaging in Endless Pen livery. Studio inside in factory packaging. Again, a hand-written note, this time recognizing my second purchase with Endless Pens. And a classic Safari as a thank-you. My experience is complete satisfaction with Endless Pens!

This is the follow up I said I would post when my order arrived. I got the Waterman Exception Slim in just over a week which isn't bad seeing as Canada Post is supposedly still clearing up a back log of parcels from their rotating strikes earlier this month plus the Xmas rush. The pen came in the white outer cardboard box with barcode and a factory original blue Waterman box and a hand written thank you note. The pen itself is even better than I dared hope. Writing with the medium nib is as smooth as a hockey rink after 10 passes with a Zamboni. I use Diamine Sargasso Sea as my daily ink and the shading is much more pronounced than with any of my other pens.

I will definitely be ordering from Endless again as the merchandise is top quality (and 100% factory original) and the transaction was as smooth as the Waterman nib and the price was better than anywhere else I've seen on the interwebs!

48987084_1365794613562530_37785334919567

48429917_1365794756895849_56530635630449

Edited by LewBleu

After seeing this thread and thinking about it for a week or so I finally ordered a Pelikan 205 and some waterman ink. Hope it goes well.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

I bought an Opus 88 Fantasia from them for ~$75 shipping included. It arrived 3 days later. Flawless transaction all in all.

Right now, they are offering the Aurora Optima 997 (Flex nib) in 4 finishes. The price: $300.

Click! #LateSanta

Happy holidays everyone.

Wow, I just received my second order from Endless Pens and they gave me a complimentary Pelican pen holder (the white bird statue about 6.5 inches tall) and a landscape format Pelikan blank notebook. I did order three pens, but those extras were a *very* nice surprise! I'm impressed by their prices, shipping time and service.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Wow, I just received my second order from Endless Pens and they gave me a complimentary Pelican pen holder (the white bird statue about 6.5 inches tall) and a landscape format Pelikan blank notebook. I did order three pens, but those extras were a *very* nice surprise! I'm impressed by their prices, shipping time and service.

Wow, indeed. Those aren't token gifts at all.