Stephen's Pens Info Thread (With Photos)

Estragon

Considering the dearth of information about Stephen's pens online, I was hoping to start a discussion that might eventually serve as a storehouse of collective knowledge about these beautiful, well made fountain pens. Topics of particular interest to me include their model lineup, interesting variants, possible collaborations with other makers, repair tips, and company history in general. But it goes without saying that the forum is open and possible directions are numerous.

From the Goodwriters blog I've gleaned that this British company, which was renowned for manufacturing ink since middle of 19th century, entered the fountain pen market in the 1930s with its patented stud-filling range of models. Deb surmises that Stephens pens were manufactured by Langs, makers of Summit and Savoy pens (among others). The connection is further explored in Paul's photo essay here: http://summit.wesonline.org.uk/section12.html

Models and Colors

Stephen's model numbers have been said to correspond to price points. The 76 sold for 7 shillings and 6 pence (7/6), the 106 for 10 shillings and 6 pence (10/6), and so forth. This past year I was fortunate enough to pick up the "Jade" 76 shown below in its original box with papers (marked 76 F on the side). The papers are interesting for what they tell us about the full range of Stephen's models at the time:

2qdO9WO.jpg

Aside from the first 3, there are several models inventoried on the pamphlet I've personally never encountered before. Does anyone know anything about the No. 716 "Visa" Model or have photos s/he could share? Was this a stud-filling counterpart to the Summit Autovac, perhaps? What of the 21 and 25 models? Also, I've read that the correspondence between model numbers and prices began to break down after the war. There are no dates on the materials pictured above, but can anyone explain why a No. 21 or No. 25 would be sold with a 25-year nib guarantee while nibs of higher number models would be guaranteed for fewer years?

In my collecting I focus on first-tier celluloid pens from the 30s and 40s with white metal trim. My modest collection of a dozen low/mid-range Stephen's pens reflects that focus. The brand first piqued my interest when I discovered they made pens with nickel-plated(?) trim in some of the most celebrated vintage celluloids – colors only available with gold trim from first-tier American makers. Until stumbling upon the pen above, whose celluloid resembles Sheaffer's famous Jade color pattern, I'd never seen another like it. To my knowledge, it figures among the 3 colors that stand out from the more common marbled 56/76 colors. The other 2 especially sought after colors I'm aware of are: black and pearl (cf. Sheaffer's Balance, Waterman's Patrician, etc.); and blue and bronze (cf. Waterman's Turquoise Patrician, Patricia, and 92). I consider my "Turquoise" 76 to be one of the most fetching pens in my entire collection. Outfitted with a flexible factory stub, it's a lovely writer as well:

ZY1IVSU.jpg

To my knowledge, the black and pearl 56/76 was something of a mismatch from the factory, having a black and pearl barrel and a black cap. Similar configurations crop up from other British makers of the period. If anyone has seen a full black and pearl pen, please do chime in. For that matter, is anybody aware of any other unusual 56/76 celluloids (i.e. aside from the array of colors in the two marbled patterns)? Having never seen a catalogue or advert, I haven't a notion of Stephen's names for any of these colors (assuming they were even named). Are catalogues or adverts extant?

These two trays contain all the Stephen's pens in my current collection, labeled by model number:

mKOGxaU.jpg

1yfdSD6.jpg

The top tray contains stud fillers while the bottom tray contains Stephen's "Leverfil" pens. Note that the BCHR "106" in the first tray is not correct but was cobbled together from 76 parts, viz. ends and clip (it's my understanding that the 106 had gold-plated trim). Note also the remarkable clip variations among the different lever-filler models in the bottom tray.

The first two pens in the bottom tray have a "Leverfil" imprint sans model numbers. The celluloid patterns of these bear a striking resemblance to the semi-transparent hatched/basketweave and herringbone patterns of Parker's Newhaven production Duofolds. Is there any connection between these companies or did they simply source their celluloid stock from the same place? If anyone has other interesting examples of unnumbered Leverfils to share, I'd be tickled pink to see them.

Nibs

Deb from Goodwriters observes that Stephens pens were available with two sorts of 14k nibs: Stephens" Warranted with model number stamped at the bottom; and unmarked/generic nibs marked Warranted First Quality. Could someone confirm whether the latter is indeed correct? My 56s and 76s have come with both sorts, but it's impossible to rule out aftermarket replacements:

C6z89Sx.jpg

The nibs Stephen's installed on their lower priced range of pens are admittedly rather small in proportion to the rest of the pen (a larger nib was one of the perks of the pricier 106 and 270) Yet stubs, obliques, and flexible nibs are common and construction is solid.

Repair Notes

The Stephen's stud filler is an ingenuously simple design and deceptively simple to restore. On the one hand, it operates on the same principle as Parker's Duofold, having an internal pressure bar that deflates the sac when the button on the end of the pen is pressed. The key difference being that the blindcap on a Stephen's acts as the button when partially unscrewed.

On the other hand, these pens have no less than six sets of threads, many of which can make disassembly often trying and occasionally risky. For example, washer clips are frequently so loose that they can be spun around the cap. The solution is naturally to screw down the BHR crown, which is attached to the inner cap like a Duofold's. Easier said than done since the threads are almost always gaumed and seized up by decades of ink and celluloid shrinkage. Dry heat applied to the top of the cap is usually recommended, followed by loosening the crown, cleaning the threads, and tightening it back on. But one must be very careful not to warp the relatively thin celluloid in this area (been there). In lieu of marring caps, which are comparatively harder to replace, I've erred on the side of risking damage to the BHR crown when all else fails to loosen it. Hard rubber crowns inevitably oxidize in an ultrasonic bath, but this can be judiciously sanded and polished away without discernibly altering the crown's profile. Specialized pliers are usually needed to get enough grip on the crown, but remember that a tool mark from an inadvertent handslip can be lifted by applying high heat to the hard rubber.

Dry heat is usually sufficient to loosen the section threads. Both the metal blindcap threads and the metal button threads on the blindcap itself (those enabling the button to extend without unscrewing the entire blindcap) can also be seized, in this case by corrosion. White vinegar can be helpful to free up these threads so long as one takes care to avoid over-exposing and thereby oxidizing the hard rubber parts around them.

Blindcaps are finished with a HR endcaps, which are also threaded. Pens with chipped endcaps are common. But they can be unscrewed and swapped from a donor pen by applying heat and using a sticky surface for leverage (e.g. gloves with rubber-coated fingers). Note that endcap sizes can vary across different pens and some refinishing may be necessary if the replacement endcap is too wide.

Lastly, if a lever is missing and no matching donor can be sourced, I've discovered that levers from Sheaffer Balances (snap-ring type) are suitable replacements for those of Stephen's Leverfil pens. Their appearance is virtually identical. The blue marble 56 in tray 2 above, for example, has been outfitted with a Balance lever. It's about 1-2mm longer but can still be lifted readily with a fingernail and operates smoothly with no obstructions. The same methods Richard Binder recommends for removal and installation of snap ring levers can be followed for Stephen's pens as well.

Edited by Estragon

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estragon

• northlodge

• peterg

• PaulS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can add that the 21 model would have been priced at 21/- hence twice that of the 106, so was of the highest quality (I do have an example here awaiting refurbishment).

I have also never seen those listed further down the leaflet, perhaps Simon (Wardock) can throw some light on these?

There are also some later models that if I recall correctly were manufactured in France.

I now know who overbid me for the rare Jade button filler ;-)

The 716 would be a bulb filler. I think they were called Visi Ink's. I saw one on E-bay recently. There is a small Stephens Museum in north London in the family mansion which has some pens on display.

I can add that the 21 model would have been priced at 21/- hence twice that of the 106, so was of the highest quality (I do have an example here awaiting refurbishment).

A quick rummage through my parts box produced this haul of Stephens:

45553925284_be6751921b_h.jpg

The top one is a black 270, the next a "leverfil" and then a couple of 106's.

Below is a handful of 56 button fillers.

45364789905_1ab68be20a_h.jpg

Finally there are 3 x 76 Button fillers, followed by 2 x 21 Button Filler. In addition to the extra cap bands there is a gold stud holder at the base of the blind cap.

There are also some later models that if I recall correctly were manufactured in France.

I now know who overbid me for the rare Jade button filler ;-)

Much obliged for all the insights! That certainly explains the model number price correspondence.

I just discovered some info on a French Stephen's that was recently posted on Goodwriters (appears to be a No. 25?): https://goodwriterspens.com/2018/06/16/an-unusual-early-french-stephens/

Regarding the Jade 76, yes, I confess to being the culprit there :blush: I seldom bid anywhere close to full value on eBay but seem to recall throwing in a bid nearly twice as high as that for which it was ultimately sold as I wasn't sure I'd ever see another (or another high quality Jade pen with NPT from any maker, for that matter). Still hunting a black and pearl 56/76, but in this case there are a couple Waterman's that fill that slot in my collection focus.

A quick rummage through my parts box produced this haul of Stephens:

I'm envious of your parts bin! The photos of the 21s speaks volumes. Funny the clip variations among models, that 21's having an Edacoto-like appearance. Those hatched/web 106s at the top are also interesting. Lever fillers with GPT, I assume?

The 716 would be a bulb filler. I think they were called Visi Ink's. I saw one on E-bay recently.

Ah, I do recall Langs having made a filling system similar to Mentmore/Platignum's Visi-ink for National Security. Called the Auto-Tank perhaps? I wonder if the 716 could've been a rebadged version of it.

Edited by Estragon

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

just to add a little to this very informative thread ……………. what I assume is a 56 b.f. in back and pearl with the correct nib - maybe a very broad or stub point.

This one was a purchase earlier this year though I was in two minds as to whether it was worth buying bearing in mind the mis-matched cap and barrel. Presumably the model dates to c. WW II, and it appears that during this period the occasional shortage of certain colours meant that other brand pens were sometimes retailed with non-matching cap and barrel, so just possible this one left the factory as we now see it. Do people think this likely? The cap fits well, though missing its clip, and shows a fine engine turned design, similar to some Stephens black cap patterns.

P.S. meant to say that in addition to the usual pen imprint, this pearl and black barrel also shows the words 'PROV. PAT.'

Edited by PaulS

What great color on that black and pearl! I'd forgotten that it bears closer resemblance to the Moderne Black and Pearl of a Parker Duofold Deluxe than does to Waterman's Nacre or similar plastics.

Hopefully, someone can answer your question more definitively. Stephen's has been on my radar for just a couple years. During this time I've only seen 2-3 of these but they all had black caps like yours – including one that was being sold as part of a large Stephen's collection on dayneswritesite.com. IIRC, Dayne made mention of the cap being correct. Some blindcaps were also chased in this pattern, but I'm uncertain as to whether all pens with chased caps got them.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

Paul, the Prov Pat mark might suggest it predates WW2 by 2 or 3 years.

Also, the "mis-match cap & barrel" tale is an oft quoted yarn, but in reality is rarely based upon fact.

I would accept the Parker Duofold / Valentine WW2 examples as 'probably genuine', I would struggle to accept your item as anything other than a replacement cap.

That said, the colour is rare enough to be of some interest regardless of cap.

thanks for both replies. Have to say I was aware than my suggestion of date wasn't based on personal expert knowledge, so guessing to some extent, and appreciate the more accurate dating of slightly pre WW II. I was travelling in hope really, re the mis-matched cap and barrel, but thought I was in with a chance since there are these tales - mostly from Newhaven's output as suggested - but will live with this being probably a replacement cap for this pen.

But it looks good - thanks again :)

I think the screw down Stephens pre date the war.

I also have my doubts about the black caps on Valentines as well. They usually appear on Valentine barley stalk patterned pens which are notorious for splitting (also happens with the Conway Stewart's). I do have a Swan lizardskin with a black cap, but that was supplied as a replacement post war by Mabie Todd.

Edited by peterg

The Black and Pearl material is extremely unstable and deteriorates especially the cap. Hence yours is almost certainly a replacement cap.

The button fillers were introduced in 1934 (56, 76 and 106), the 21 in 1937 and the VISA in 1938.

Anyone have a photo of one with a black and pearl cap?

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

• 2 weeks later...

Having dug through the parts box earlier in the thread, I though I ought to get to work on some Stephens (first time for years!).

Before they go to ebay, and In order to answer questions about relative size and the design of the scarcer models, here a few quick reference snaps (I do not have the photography skill or equipment for quality reference shots).

None of the pens are what you would call small, but to answer a question posted in another thread (IIRC) the 270 lever filler sits mid-way between the 56 and the 21.BF's

31613069847_aea3d23e5f_b.jpg

The Stephens 21 - slightly broader and slightly shorter than the 25, and noticably longer than the 56/76 models, a classy looking pen to boot!

31613069307_39d6218f52_b.jpg

Possibly the rarest of the button fillers (??) the Stephens 25, a long pen;

46501750752_bf8e09e794_b.jpg

Glad to see all these up and running again! Thanks for providing examples of the unusual 21 and 25. One can clearly see the step-up in quality and details on the former. What sort of nib does that 25 have?

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

• 3 years later...

Hi, I stumbled upon this Stephens pen "Crystal Stephens", apparently made in the USA, but with a nib on which it is written "Angleterre" (and I found the pen in France...). It is some kind of plunger-filler, with a special "Ink O'guard" cap. Length capped = 12.3 cm.

Would anyone have any information on this pen, such as manufacturing date, name etc.?

Also I would like to service the plunger gasket. Any advice on how to remove the packing-cup? Thanks!

IMG_0838.thumb.JPG.f81904cc6d26d1b2a403ed991e5f0814.JPGIMG_0841.thumb.JPG.24a66242035be847cb9eeeedf833aa88.JPGIMG_0840.thumb.JPG.35303658572395ace9583cdfa7f40634.JPGIMG_0839.thumb.JPG.f72b28d0b310605bd2c18ebe2de5ad30.JPG

• 6 months later...

I'm adding here for the record a new Stephens pen I found in France. I just finished restauring it (it was in a pretty bad shape). It's some sort of button filler, except that by turning the knob that the pressure bar gets compressed (by means of a screw). It's quite a large and impressive pen, I've put it side by side with a Montblanc 146 for comparison. Interestingly, the one I found has a Montblanc flex nib (with number 35 on it).

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG