• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr.Rene

• A Smug Dill

• mke

• jPod

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not an unusual price for Jinhaos. The Chinese brand makes usually good performers at a very low price-- the trade off his quality control. You may end up messing a bit with them to make them write well. See our "China, Korea and Others (Far East, Asia)" section for recommendations.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Basically, the quality of Jinhao fountain pens is very acceptable, sometimes there are some little problems, however - but less than 1 in 10. If there are big problems, the seller usually replaces a pen to avoid getting bad points.

The non-wood parts of the pens are made of brass, so, the pens are no light-weights.

The quality of the nib can be from very good to bad. The nib-size is always the same, independently if the seller describes them as medium or broad or fine. It is usually a little bit finer than (European/US) medium.

Most probably you can swap the nib for a Jowo, but this makes the pen ca. 10-15 Euro more expensive, it might be worth it or not. If you want to improve the pen by yourself, try that first.

Here are other Jinhao wooden pen:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Noble-Jinhao-Brown-wood-Fountain-Pen-with-black-cap-by/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jinhao-51A-Acrylic-Wood-Fountain-Pen-Hooded-Iridium-Extra-Fine-0-38mm-Nib-New/173530219488

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/luxury-black-red-wood-and-copper-Fountain-Pen-school-Office-stationery-classic-0-5-nib-Writing/32854723719.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jinhao-250-Stainless-Steel-Gold-Trim-Fountain-Pen-with-8-Pcs-Ink-Refills-Set-Classic-High/32820297613.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS-Elegant-Jinhao-8802-Plum-Flower-Fountain-Pen-18kgp/32693691436.html (two colours)

I guess there are more available meanwhile. This is now only Jinhao - other Chinese makers certainly also have wooden pens. Check out at Frank Underwaters site.

https://frankunderwater.com/

No risk, no fun.

Jinhao excels at making pens that write well for very low prices. They don't always have the fanciest body materials and they tend to show wear quickly, but I don't think I've had a single Jinhao that didn't write competently out of the box.

I had (only) a few where I thought that nibs were not so good. However, with other brands I had more problems, e.g. Baoer (despite them belonging to the same company - like Jinhao). I like the design of Baoer pen more but the nibs were often not so good (very dry).

But, despite the nibs of Jinhao are very good in terms of price-performance ratio, nibs made by Pelikan, Sailor, Montblanc, Jowo, Bock are objectively much better. And cost much more - a steel Jowo is about 16 USD, an 18K Jowo is about 90.

If you look at entry pens of Pilot, Platinum, Sailor, Pelikan, you can get good pens for less than $20 USD. And if you look at these entry pens one Ebay, you can get them used for the price of the Jinhao.

• 2 years later...
16 minutes ago, Mr.Rene said:

Any idea the name of woods used to make the pens??

Tell me the specific model designation (by name or number), and I'll have a look. Chances are there won't be any names that can be reliably and unambiguously translated to the name of species that yield the material, but at least I'd be able to tell you what Jinhao's Marketing team has called the types of wood in Chinese (and possibly English). That would still be a name, or names, that you can then use Google Translate and/or Wikipedia to give you a better idea of what you're looking at.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Tell me the specific model designation (by name or number), and I'll have a look. Chances are there won't be any names that can be reliably and unambiguously translated to the name of species that yield the material, but at least I'd be able to tell you what Jinhao's Marketing team has called the types of wood in Chinese (and possibly English). That would still be a name, or names, that you can then use Google Translate and/or Wikipedia to give you a better idea of what you're looking at.

I am talking about :

Jinhao New Wooden Fountain Pen High Quality 0.7mm Nib 2 Colors Luxury Wood Ink10.webp

3 hours ago, Mr.Rene said:

花梨木 is, broadly, rosewood (which could be a number of different timbers). 胡桃木 is, broadly, wood of the walnut tree, which could be a number of different species in the same genus.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

16 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

花梨木 is, broadly, rosewood (which could be a number of different timbers). 胡桃木 is, broadly, wood of the walnut tree, which could be a number of different species in the same genus.

Thank you so much It was really useful. Best Regards.