Iso Desk Pad / Blotter

I'm looking for a desk pad or blotter, preferably leather, that will protect a very large, old wooden desk that's been in the family for a while.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Of course, fountain pen friendliness is essential.

thanks!

C

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MG66

• Retro-user

• bass1193

• kazoolaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, nobody uses these, or did I ask in the wrong forum?

Edited by MG66

I'd be surprised if anyone is making these anymore. I did see a nice desk set on Pendemonium a while back that included the corners for a desk blotter. Maybe reach out to Sam? She might have an idea on where to acquire what you seek.

Thanks @bass1193.

They are out there: I received a set as a gift from my wife which also included a pen cup and stationery holder.

I can't easily copy links from my iPad, but a simple google search for leather desk pad turns up a number of sources. You can also insert mat for pad in your search.

gary

I found some on Amazon and elsewhere, but I like to get this community's input since most users wouldn't specifically be looking for fountain pen friendliness.

I'm glad to see that this type of item is still being made and appreciated! I had no idea! This is one of those anachronistic things that is genuinely still useful.

That's interesting. I certainly hadn't thought of that.

At Staples I found these clear pliable mats for a reasonable price:

https://www.staples.com/Desktex-Anti-Slip-Polycarbonate-Desk-Mat-Clear-17-X-22/product_900325

Because my desk is a secretary style I am not able to use the standard rigid desk blotters, unfortunately. The clear mat provides a cushion without being too soft.

If memory serves me, I think the clear mats were recommended by Tom K. in an older post I discovered one day while searching the forum for desk blotters.

This post's segues from blotter to drafting table covering to Blick made me think...a cutting mat might make for a nice writing surface. Personally, the ruler grid on those things would be something I would like, although probably a turn-off for somebody thinking of leather ones. And I think Blick caries some reversible mats that are green on one side and black on the other.

Closer to the main question: about 18 years ago I bought a desk pad from Ikea that I really liked. Heavy steal core, leather-like surface, a lip that hangs over the desk front, and a reasonable Ikea price. Their current one is https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40246156/. That's not the one that I had, but given my previous experience if I was in the market again then that's what I would check out. The weird bit along the left of it has me curious.

Edit: Added the missing link to Ikea product

Edited by XYZZY

This post's segues from blotter to drafting table covering to Blick made me think...a cutting mat might make for a nice writing surface. Personally, the ruler grid on those things would be something I would like, although probably a turn-off for somebody thinking of leather ones. And I think Blick caries some reversible mats that are green on one side and black on the other.

My wife is a quilter and has one of these cutting mats. I'm going to check it out for viability. Then when she gets her next batch of 50% of coupons at her favorite craft store I may purchase one. Great idea!

-Mike

I had not come across the IKEA product. Thanks @XYZZY.

C

I once used a sheet of Plexiglas to protect an old desk top. You could slide material under the surface and refer to it with ease.

Thought I'd update this thread due to stumbling across what appears to be a nice leather blotter for a reasonable price.

Federalist Pens shows a new product for Girologio: a blotter in three colors.

https://federalistpens.com/collections/girologio-products-new/products/girologio-leather-pads-blotters

Unfortunately, they neglected to include size.

Good catch, @gary.

I ordered the Ikea one. We'll see how it works for me. My desk has a routered edge, so I'm not sure how the lip overhang will work. Probably fine.

If I'm not happy with it, I will probably go with something leather, which my library / writing room is filled with, but I was slightly concerned with the leather being too soft or padded.

I'll take a pic when I get it set up.

C