Sweeping Up The Fallen Leaves (Murky Green Compost Piles!)

pgcauk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgcauk

• gregamckinney

• lapis

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

My rousseau is burgundy maroon. Do I have a bad bottle?

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

So Marone, Chestnut, switched names with Sepia Brown at some point, which makes a certain sense as I was raised thinking of Maroon as a deep reddish-brown hair-color (possibly more like the English "Conkers" or Horse Chestnuts than the edible ones?), but hecka confusing if you don't know which stock a store is carrying. The best thing is to ask as the two colors are utterly different.

However, I was surprised once I finally got my hands on a bottle of "old style" Marone, which I was expecting to be a greyish-brown, at just how green it was. I thought I had a (really very pleasant) duff bottle, but then I read that Marone is also labelled as Jean Jaques Rousseau, which was clearly described as a green ink over at Vanness (description now changed):
https://vanness1938.com/products/deatramentis-jean-jacques-rousseau-marone

. . . so that seemed the easier label to use as Marone would so easily lead to confusion!

I actually brought a second bottle under the J.J.R. label because I like this color so much (and also Enlighhtenment Political Philosophy!) - both are a lovely olive/grey/earth!
I recently succumbed to a bottle of Rikyu Cha, which looks like a dead ringer for Marone/JJR whilst wet but then browns as it dries so if you really like the color of Rikyu Cha before it dries, this may well be an ink worth investigating!

So if, gregamckinney, your bottle is labelled "Marone", that would still fit with this narrative but indeed be a different ink . . . . and if your bottle is labelled "Jean Jaques Rousseau" . . . . De Atramentis have managed to baffle me yet again!!

Hey, while we're confused, has anyone heard of De Atramentis' "Auburn"?

Edited by pgcauk

Wunderbar! A fine, imaginative collection of a great object (apart from the fact that I hate raking). Leaves have always been so difficult to describe, on the contrary to, say, skies, poppies, or chocolate (even although those too can vary).

Whew

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Here's what I selected for my Fall Palette.
The base is a "Reed Bed" of 2 Golds, 2 Greens and a Brown

That's: De Atramentis' Umber, Robert Oster's Khakhi, De Atramentis' Jean Jaques Rousseau,Birmingham Pens' Fern Moss and De Atramentis' York Brown (which I have grown to love - but it took a while!)

fpn_1543801217__november_18_reed_bed.jpg

And here's the full 9 colors (a significant diet after 18 inks on the go over the Summer!)

Add: R&K Scabiosa (always!), Noodlers' Antietam, J. Herbin Rouille D'Ancre (also always!) & Birmingham Pens' Rachel Carson Silent Spring (better seen above).

fpn_1543801634__november_18_reed_bed_ii.

Not really Ink Comparisons, per se, so were would these properly be filed under?

Rouille and Khakhi are particularly impossible to scan - too subtle for technology those ones!

Edited by pgcauk

Ink Comparisons.... ???? I'll go along with that !!!!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

So Marone, Chestnut, switched names with Sepia Brown at some point, which makes a certain sense as I was raised thinking of Maroon as a deep reddish-brown hair-color (possibly more like the English "Conkers" or Horse Chestnuts than the edible ones?), but hecka confusing if you don't know which stock a store is carrying. The best thing is to ask as the two colors are utterly different.

However, I was surprised once I finally got my hands on a bottle of "old style" Marone, which I was expecting to be a greyish-brown, at just how green it was. I thought I had a (really very pleasant) duff bottle, but then I read that Marone is also labelled as Jean Jaques Rousseau, which was clearly described as a green ink over at Vanness (description now changed):

https://vanness1938.com/products/deatramentis-jean-jacques-rousseau-marone

. . . so that seemed the easier label to use as Marone would so easily lead to confusion!

I actually brought a second bottle under the J.J.R. label because I like this color so much (and also Enlighhtenment Political Philosophy!) - both are a lovely olive/grey/earth!

I recently succumbed to a bottle of Rikyu Cha, which looks like a dead ringer for Marone/JJR whilst wet but then browns as it dries so if you really like the color of Rikyu Cha before it dries, this may well be an ink worth investigating!

So if, gregamckinney, your bottle is labelled "Marone", that would still fit with this narrative but indeed be a different ink . . . . and if your bottle is labelled "Jean Jaques Rousseau" . . . . De Atramentis have managed to baffle me yet again!!

Hey, while we're confused, has anyone heard of De Atramentis' "Auburn"?

My bottle is labeled both Marone and JJR, so I don't know what the deal is.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

My bottle is labeled both Marone and JJR, so I don't know what the deal is.

greg

Looks like you got the "new Marone", although the fact that this feeds through to other labelling is beyond me.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/311960-paris-maroon-de-atramentis-ink-review/

If you were really looking for the olive sludge version you could take it up with the vendor or Dr. Jansen himself? I once made a grumpy on here about ordering "Fog Grey" Standard Ink but receiving (mislabeled) "Fog Grey" Document Ink (which is a completely different kettle of fish), and Dr. Jansen sorted things out quickly!

The old Marone/Jean Jaques is a lovely ink (well, either that or dirty rinse water!), but it sounds like "buyer beware" that you may order green and get red (or vice versa!).

Now this is a topic that really speaks to me - definitely my favorite color for inks. My wife of course, being partial to bright pops of color, thinks I'm totally crazy. Great stuff, pgcauk, always on the hunt for some more beautifully murky greens, browns, and greys. Glad to see that there are others on this forum who share the same preferences on this woefully under-appreciated color group!

I've never purchased multiple bottles of the same ink before finishing the original before, until I learned that Sailor prices were about to skyrocket... so I bought 3 bottles of Rikyu-cha :wub: Even then, I'm mixing RO Melon Tea/Bronze, Kobe Ginza Gold Sepia, and Stipula Musk Green into the rotation to stretch out the Rikyu-cha :lol: Still holding out hope that KWZI makes something similar to Confederation Brown again in the future, it looked beautiful in the reviews.

I'll have to order some samples of Salamander, Burma Road Brown, Fern Moss, and Jean Jaques Rousseau!

Yes, other color areas I have made my selection and am happy to stick with it, but greens, greys and browns (and their overlapping borderlands) seem endlessly rich, even slight nuances making a significant difference.
Here's a few of my favorite "Stone Greens", although of course, accurate scanning cannot be done!

fpn_1544911455__stony_greens.jpg

... although of course, accurate scanning cannot be done!

Ah, one thing I have learnt from being on FPN and exposure to the collective wisdom is that it can be done, with colour calibration charts/cards, software, sensor units, and so on. I've spent more than $100 on just calibration charts/cards myself so far, without jumping into the deep end to get sensors, better scanners, etc.

It can be done. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I'm going to dispute that with this particular color area at least, as it has been my delight to discover that beyond the differences arising from nibs and papers and such, the light that you are reading by can completely shift the hue of the ink - bluer cancels blue and sends a green towards yellow/brown, yellow cancels yellow and sends a green towards blue/grey. I have spent many happy hours checking writing samples and splodges under an LED flashlight vs. under the old fashioned bulbs in my bathroom to verify this. I guess with only one ink on a page you could maybe make corrections, but with multiple inks there are too many plates spinning!

If I can I like to take a photo in natural light to compare to the scan, but this time of year that's not so easy!

If the subtlety of the best of these inks was able to be reproduced, well, what would the appeal be? I research on here endlessly, and it's a great resource, but it in no way approaches the tangible experience of pen, ink and paper!

Counter: The scan above is so far off on Vert Empire and Riddle Green to be misleading, and for that I accept responsibility, but I thought the relative values of the main three inks were interesting enough to give the image value: Cement is a harder stone grey (comp. Diamine Graphite), Fern Moss is softer, bluer, and more ambiguous, while Walt Whitman hovers between grey-green and green-brown.