Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue - My First Pelikan

putteringpenman

My first Pelikan: an M120 Iconic Blue. (This is the 2018 limited edition, not the vintage pen.)

fpn_1543629831__pelikan_m120.jpg

Edited by putteringpenman

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• putteringpenman

• Bo Bo Olson

• Runnin_Ute

Thats a great pen for a first Pelikan. Congrats and enjoy!

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

It's a beaut. Mine also writes very well. Good acquisition!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

The original 120 had a nice springy regular flex nib........I think the new one has the springy regular flex 200's nib, with it's own stamp...so should be a well balanced pen...posted with a nice comfortable ride. And if a 200's nib, 1/2 a width narrower than modern 400/600 nibs.

I do like the Pelikan regular flex nib....once there were many companies that mad a regular flex nib..........Pelikan may well be the last.

Don't know about Japanese makers.

Wax your pen if you fear mars from posting....= no mars. Posting gives standard sized pens their good balance.

:) My 120 is in the 'to clean' cup...... :rolleyes: So was quick to hand to check the size.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I picked one up in September at the Commonwealth Pen Show. Didn't have a choice on the nib, but the M nib on it is very smooth. I've been running MB Beatles Psychedelic Purple LE through it ever since. B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Nice, simple, understated pen.

Congrats and enjoy the reams of happiness. :thumbup:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

One of my favorite

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Enjoy the pen!

What nib is it? Do share a writing sample.

I got a B nib. I'm planning to post a review soon! I will say that it has more flex than I expected and has a smooth nib. There are a few problems with skipping that I'm trying to fix.

Currently inked:

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

I got a B nib. I'm planning to post a review soon! I will say that it has more flex than I expected and has a smooth nib. There are a few problems with skipping that I'm trying to fix.

My first M200 Café Crème (sadly lost at a hotel in Bowling Green a couple of years ago) had that problem -- the B nib skipped no matter what ink I had put in it. A visit to a nibmeister at a pen show (in that instance Deb Kinney) fixed it right up (I think the issue was baby's bottom).

I wish that finding the pen, and the case, and the other pen in the case turning up was that easy....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If one is coming from nail/semi-nail....a springy regular flex does have "flex". :angry:

Some folks have mistaken regular flex for semi-flex, in the tines spread and bend :happyberet: ....when one is a tad heavy handed....which is normal with nails.

I grew to like the 200's and the semi-vintage '82-97 nibs....be they gold or steel/gold plated they are =. :) :thumbup: The whole era was springy regular flex nibs. The 200 started @ 1988. The 100/rhodium trim/150 gold trim in 1985.

Regular flex is a bit dryer than semi-flex so is a bit better for shading inks...in M&F....EF is way too narrow to shade with. IMO.

B can be a tad wet....got to get one (B and a 150 down at my B&M)...I'm missing B in regular flex. 150 and 200 are just a tad different, the 150 fits the 200 but the 200 not the 150, and I have a spare nibless 150 hanging around.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice first Pelikan.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

As an update for anyone who may have been turned off the M120 by my earlier comment about skipping, the issue is resolved now.

After talking to a pen friend from my local meetup about this issue, she suggested that I use a wetter ink before making any nib adjustments. I had only tried Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite in the pen figuring that a Pelikan pen would write well with a Pelikan ink.

Well, not true in this case. I guess the M120 steel nib is much drier than their gold nibs so I need a wetter ink than Pelikan ink.

I switched over to using Pilot Iroshizuku in the M120 and it is writing much better now.

Currently inked:

Interesting. My first bird was a 1990s era M400, with a springy and fairly juicy F nib, and I found that Iroshizuku (in that case Yama-guri) was way too wet for the pen. It did much better with drier inks (with Noodler's Walnut, it's a dream combination of pen and ink).

I'll have to try my Iconic Blue with something else to see how it does (the MB Beatles ink worked very well).

• 2 weeks later...

I had issues with a new Pelikan italic nib when it had J Herbin Cafe des Iles in it. It would not write with the first stroke. But it writes well with Robert Oster Cafe Crema.

Posted Image