My Twsbi 580 Al Broke ... Again

sodiumnitrate

I had the cap crack and the clip break off of my 580. Paid my $3 for shipping got a new cap. No issues with 580 or Eco in terms of cracking since.

Part of the problem was I had it clipped to the placket of a golf/polo style shirt. That additional stress couldn't have helped matters.

What I do see with both is that the piston rod has a tendency to come out of the back of the rubber piston seal. Not sure what the cause of this would be or the fix. As a result they get much less use than they used to. And I really like the nib on the 580. (I had a B stubbed.)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Inkysloth

• sodiumnitrate

• Fuzzy_Bear

I was thinking of buying a 580 before reading the threads on this forum last night...

All the posts here make TWSBI sound like utter junk. Is that a fair assessment?

I was thinking of buying a 580 before reading the threads on this forum last night...

All the posts here make TWSBI sound like utter junk. Is that a fair assessment?

Yes, they are in my experience - junk. (I only have one pen but it's junk).

"It begs the question: how many people here have owned a TWSBI pen that has lasted a few years, without problems?"

I have five: 1 ECO, 1 Mini-Vac, 3 Minis. The Minis get intermittent* but continuing use, the other two have been cleaned and put in storage. For the three Minis I have (if my memory is accurate): one loose clip and one crack. Both problems were solved with replacement parts from TWSBI.

* Any of the Minis might sit for a week or two without use but they have always started immediately upon resuming use.

3/5 of yours have had no problems, when challenged with light use. Not ideal. It is good they send replacement parts, though I see they charge postage. It's this continued cracking that I have a problem with- I own pens that are 70 year old with twist on caps that haven't cracked yet. I'm not saying TWSBI pens should be expected to last that well, but it seems their choice of materials is worryingly flawed, despite years of experience with this problem under their belt.

I should clarify that I had no problems with the other two (so, I guess, overall 3/5 with no problems is correct). I agree that they should have done better when designing the pens or selecting materials. I hope the issues have been resolved for current and future production. By the way, there are (sort of) parallels with pocketknife production. At least one long-time domestic maker of once very highly-rated knives having a lot of problems in recent decades related to workmanship (as opposed to design or materials). The end result is the same: a person purchases an object with reasonably high expectations only to find it inexcusably faulty.

My last one (and I mean LAST) cracked all by it self sitting in the pen case. After replacing several parts, I'm afraid I have to give up on the brand.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My last one (and I mean LAST) cracked all by it self sitting in the pen case. After replacing several parts, I'm afraid I have to give up on the brand.

That is exactly how I feel as well. I would not buy another.

• 2 months later...

I've still not had any of mine break, I've repaired three used ones I've picked up to properly functioning again, one someone cleaned all the grease off the Mini's piston rod and two had cracked nib/feed holders, one of the ones with the cracked holder had to have the barrel replaced because the previous owner tried to superglue the everything and fix it that way.

...I may shamefully admit that I am up to 12 TWSBI pens in total currently, and it's about to be 13

All the things I read in these forums really make me wary of the brand. Unless the pen is metal or made from opaque plastic, I am not going near the pens.

I have 4 x 580's - a mix of AL and ALR versions.

So far I have not had any problems of any type and really like their stub nibs (have 2x1.1 and 1x1.5).

They are all used regularly and quite a lot - have been writing novels - every day. My only caveat is they are all used at home so are not carried about town, to an office, etc.

I really don't know what to make of all the TWSBI cracking threads. I have had many pass through my hands and still have three (all of which pre-date the revision of the plastic that was meant to crack easily) and have had no issues whatsoever. What I have never done (and never had to) is take them all apart for cleaning. Maybe I'm tempting fate in writing this!

I've had no issues with my 580 AL M. I think it'll need some regreasing the next time I fill it, but that's not a huge deal. 

I will say, however, that their stub nibs are so wet as to be useless. I can imagine someone trying one out in a store with a quick dip and thinking "Wow!", but in actual use you might as well try writing with a Q-Tip.

• 2 months later...

My understanding is that the older production pens did have lots of issues with cracking, but that a few years ago TWSBI changed the material used.  I've had my 580-AL Pink about 4 years at this point, and have had no cracking issues with it -- and that includes having accidentally dropped it on a concrete sidewalk.  

I've had other issues, such as the piston not extending all the way to the back of the feed, so I sometimes get air bubbles blocking ink flow when the pen gets low -- I think that's a serious design flaw (and have been told that the Ecos have the same issue, which is too bad -- I really like the look of the purple one...).  And the 1.1 stub nib on the 580-ALR is so wet that it writes better upside down.... :o  But cracking? No. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 3/6/2021 at 12:47 AM, inkstainedruth said:

My understanding is that the older production pens did have lots of issues with cracking, but that a few years ago TWSBI changed the material used.

Unfortunately if you look over at the Fountainpens subreddit, there are cases of new 580 Al pens cracking, particularly where the aluminium & plastic meet.

I've given TWSBI another go, and added a translucent orange Eco to my pen pot, but I'm not expecting it to become an heirloom :-/

Instagram @inkysloth