My Twsbi 580 Al Broke ... Again

sodiumnitrate

The other day I cleaned all my pens. When it was time for re-assembly, I realized that the nib unit was not screwing into the barrel. It turns out, the part of the nib unit that is supposed to screw into the body got broken and got stuck on the body. I don't see a way of removing the broken part. I also don't want to spend more money on the pen, as it will be the third time I had to replace a part.

The nib unit seems to stay on the body semi-securely, but it's not airtight and the nib leaks as a result. Should I try making the contact airtight with silicon grease? Or should I try super glue? What do you think?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Inkysloth

• sodiumnitrate

• Fuzzy_Bear

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is buy a new nib unit to get the replacement piece. I had the same thing happen with my 540. I know you said you did not want to spend any more money on the pen, but to make it usable again, that is pretty much your only solution.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is buy a new nib unit to get the replacement piece. I had the same thing happen with my 540. I know you said you did not want to spend any more money on the pen, but to make it usable again, that is pretty much your only solution.

Thanks for the input. The problem is, I would also have to get a new barrel, as the part of the nib unit is stuck on the tip of the barrel. I guess it's either super glue or garbage can with this one...

This seems to be quite a common problem with TWSBIs, and I suspect it's just a case of getting some traction with a tool to unthread the broken part left in the barrel. You might try the eraser end of a pencil, or a suitably sized screwdriver jammed in. As long as any damage is confined to the broken part of the nib unit and not the barrel, it'll be a working pen again - once it has a replacement nib unit.

I just had a crack develop in my several year old Diamond 580 clear. So, this morning, I contacted TWSBI via its website, and I got a near-immediate response form Philip. Without questioning its age or treatment, he offered to send me a new barrel for $4 USD shipping. It is already on its way to me.

It is your judgment whether the cost of replacing parts is worth having a usable pen, or that you would be as well off replacing it. For me, it's clear.

I just had a crack develop in my several year old Diamond 580 clear. So, this morning, I contacted TWSBI via its website, and I got a near-immediate response form Philip. Without questioning its age or treatment, he offered to send me a new barrel for $4 USD shipping. It is already on its way to me.

It is your judgment whether the cost of replacing parts is worth having a usable pen, or that you would be as well off replacing it. For me, it's clear.

I also don't want to spend more money on the pen, as it will be the third time I had to replace a part.

Just curious, what other pens have broken? I've only had problems with my TWSBI Mini AL in the past so I can understand your frustration here.

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

Just curious, what other pens have broken? I've only had problems with my TWSBI Mini AL in the past so I can understand your frustration here.

It's only this pen. And I don't have expensive pens. I mean, one expects more sturdiness from a $60 pen.

I have done that twice already, and had to pay $6 for shipping each. I am thankful that Philip didn't charge me for the parts, but this is a pen that I had paid $60 for. At this point it's cost as much as my Pilot CH 91.

This seems to be quite a common problem with TWSBIs, and I suspect it's just a case of getting some traction with a tool to unthread the broken part left in the barrel. You might try the eraser end of a pencil, or a suitably sized screwdriver jammed in. As long as any damage is confined to the broken part of the nib unit and not the barrel, it'll be a working pen again - once it has a replacement nib unit.

Thanks. I didn't get much luck with that, though, maybe I screwed in the unit too tightly last time. But, in any case, it looks like silicon grease has stopped the leakage. We'll see how it fares after a few days.

It's only this pen. And I don't have expensive pens. I mean, one expects more sturdiness from a $60 pen.

I had the same feeling when my TWSBI broke. If it's any consolation, none of my other dozen fountain pens have broken. (Both more and less expensive pens.) Maybe try another pen brand when you're feeling up for it. Good luck!

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

To remove the broken part that is still threaded in the barrel, I used a small diameter tube to fill the inside diameter of the stuck part. I was then able to just unscrew it from the barrel normally.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

• 3 months later...

This same thing just happened to me. I took off my cap and the nib fell to the floor. So double damage. Great.

I searched on the site and found that this seems to be a pretty common problem with the 580.

In which case, why does TWSBI charge for the replacement piece? It should be gratis -- although maybe the $4 is just to cover postage. But even so. It is clearly a defective piece and should be replaced with no charge at all.

And this isn't the first time. I had the ubiquitous barrel problem with my 540 a couple of years back. TWSBI kindly shipped me the replacement part (for free, that time), but my hambone hands screwed up the repair and my pen became instant refuse. Thus my purchase of the 580 to replace it.

So now this really annoys me.

As much as I want to love TWSBI pens, I think this may be the last straw. Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me.

- Joe

I went to fill my Mini Vac last night after leaving it uninked for a few months and - lo and behold! - a crack in the thread on the barrel and ink pi**ing out everywhere. The barrel on my Diamond Mini is cracked too, where the cap posts. I've already had a new barrel for this so I've pretty much had it with TWSBI. Of the 4 I own the only one that hadn't developed problems (yet?) is my RG 580. I'm going to see if I can return them and change them for a different pen but I'm not holding my breath. If not I'm junking them and consigning my torrid affair with TWSBI to the scrapbook of history; maybe I'll take up with Lamy or Kaweco instead!

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped with the Eco and 580 AL, so far both are holding fine but they have not seen much action lately.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had cracking issues even with my ECO, the last TWSBI pen I ever expected to have problems on, since they say the cracking has been redressed. Best thing was, I was blamed for the cracks even though I only practiced regular usage with regular cleaning and nothing out of the ordinary.

At the cost of shipping, I wonder how many more times are we willing to buy spare parts for our pens. At one point, this may get as high as a new pen form someone else.

Edited by Aditkamath26

Sorry to hear, but I am not surprised. sad.png

I have no intention of buying anymore and tend to discourage others from the brand.

No shortage of reliable brands to own and enjoy.

OTOH, I will offload my Eco and 580 AL in due course.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I have an Eco thats currently fine, but the plastic on my Diamond Mini is very sad. The barrel cracked & was replaced. The feed end cracked, and was replaced. Recently the cap top, just below where the clip is fixed on has started to form several small cracks, and when I went to remove the nib, the black plastic part of the feed collar broke.

Hey ho!

I also managed to bugger the nib up (which was why I was dismantling it.) so if anyone wants a nibless, cracked Mini, its yours for postage!

Edited by Inkysloth

Instagram @inkysloth

Shame, another one bites the dust. sad.png

Was the Mini an EDC/extensively used?

I have an Eco thats currently fine, but the plastic on my Diamond Mini is very sad. The barrel cracked & was replaced. The feed end cracked, and was replaced. Recently the cap top, just below where the clip is fixed on has started to form several small cracks, and when I went to remove the nib, the black plastic part of the feed collar broke.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :