My Twsbi 580 Al Broke ... Again

sodiumnitrate

I have one of the early ones that had the cap break. It was really tight and seemed not to fit well at all. They sent me a new one (but a different color since they ran out of the color I had) and it has worked OK since.  I have not bought any more since, I just have 3 that I use now and then.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Inkysloth

• sodiumnitrate

• Fuzzy_Bear

Finally offloaded both (Eco, 580AL) earlier this year while reorganizing the study. I should have done it earlier but forgot.

Haven't bought anymore or recommended them.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to give TWSBI another try.  

On a whim about 6 weeks ago, I purchased the 580AL Navy Blue with a stub nib.  The store owner also wanted to give me a good deal on an Eco, but every Eco I have had (both new and old material) has cracked right at the point where the section means the nib collar. 

But I will be leaving this TWSBI at home for home use, rather than taking it to work.  Hopefully, it will last. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

My TWSBI Eco Turquoise, bought in 2017, has cracked above the clip, so there's a hairline running from the clip to the cap's flat top, and sideways from just above the clip around to the start of the next facet. 

It's been in a pen pot, or a pen case - clipped on, but it's not a particularly thick fabric. 

It's still useable, but ink has clearly managed to wick along the crack so I'll be keeping this one at home in a pen pot from now on. 

Instagram @inkysloth

On 12/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, jchch1950 said:

I have been using a Twsbi Swipe for one month. No problems so far.😀

The cracking issue is much more related to the material used in the ECO and 580 AL rather than the GO or the Swipe.

The ECO & 580 AL has a harder plastic properties and I think there is manufacturing / design issue while using these harder plastic.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:32 PM, ellbell said:

What I don't understand is how this problem has been around for literally years and years. Why hasn't this been fixed? 

I heard that the new production  batch has solved this issue (Goulet always highlighted these points when the topic is brought up) but I think it is hard to verify unless someone really took two units of different manufacturing period, let's say from 2019 and 2021, and then do a thorough comparison to them.

If there aren't any changes, then it just means TWSBI feels they don't need to do anything with the current failure rates / complain rates regarding cracking. Just paper over the cracks with giving replacement parts and save some money on the manufacturing tools / design development.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told to be very gentle whenever I tightened a threaded section [that means capping it, filling it and taking it apart]. Wrong answer to me. I couldn't be more gentle with my pens. I don't even hold them tight or press them into paper. I have to have good paper and wet ink-good flow or they won't work for me. I sold all mine. I was a true fan and it made me sad to sell them but I couldn't enjoy them anymore. I am kind of grateful for the whole experience because I discovered the wonderful world of Pilot gold nibs. I jumped a few price points and found heaven for my light touch. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 4:32 PM, ellbell said:

What I don't understand is how this problem has been around for literally years and years. Why hasn't this been fixed? 

Cheaper to issue replacements.

No significant backlash and, in majority of cases, it is not worth sending for repair or paying for replacement as the plastic is still the same.

OTOH, I still have no intention of either recommending/buying them ever since I offloaded mine a while back.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:21 AM, marcelo said:

What are the issues there? 

I can see the piston rubber has fallen off, but are there cracks where you've circled the photo? I can see where ink has wicked into different areas but is it also leaking out of the section? 

Instagram @inkysloth

On 1/27/2022 at 11:40 AM, Inkysloth said:

What are the issues there? 

I can see the piston rubber has fallen off, but are there cracks where you've circled the photo? I can see where ink has wicked into different areas but is it also leaking out of the section? 

The issues are what you see. The piston rubber has fallen off, and no matter if I try to put it back and grease it with silicone, it keeps falling off. Regarding the other two circles, there are no cracks, but there are leaks, and I replaced the o-rings by spare ones sent by TWSBI.