Drawing A River/stream

rahul_jain

Last week we learnt how to draw a waterfall and this week we will stay with water and learn how to quickly draw a river/stream. It is again quite easy to do once few simple techniques are understood. So grab a pen and paper and follow along and enjoy discovering your creative side.

Step 1: Drawing River/Stream Outline

Draw a tapered shape of outline as shown below as it is visually interesting.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-1.gif

Step 2: Drawing River Bank.

Depending on the location of viewer, usually, one bank of river is visible. Draw it by using vertical parallel lines to define the depth of the river bank.

drawing-water-edge-3.jpg

Step 3: Drawing Water

Water can be indicated using few simple overlapping lines as shown below. Make the lines follow the contour of river's bank.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-4.gif

Step 4; Drawing Foliage

It is visually interesting to have something by river's edge that is reflected in water. A simple foliage works very well. It can be drawn using a combination of scribble for foliage and tapered darks for trunks. Vol 5. of my pen and ink workbook discusses drawing foliage in details.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-5.gif

Step 5: Drawing Reflection

Proper reflection in water is very important to bring out the feel of water. It can be drawn using horizontal lines as shown below.

drawing-reflection.gif

Draw reflection of foliage in water using the above technique.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-6.gif

Step 6: Finishing with Other Elements

To bring a finished feel, other elements like ground cover, distant tree line, stones, sky etc. can be added.

easy-pen-ink-drawing-7-2.gif

This finishes this tutorial. Hopefully it inspired you to try these simple pen and ink drawings and find how relaxing, enjoyable and easy these are to do. My tutorials provide more information on drawing other elements of nature used above.

Drawing is always more fun as a social activity. To share this with others and on your social media, pl. click here.

Happy Drawing,

Rahul

www.pendrawings.me/getstarted

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• rahul_jain

• saulyleeplans

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the snow on trees and made a nice little (purple) tree. This looks cool also. Your step-by-step instructions are excellent.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this tutorial I actually made something that doesn't look too bad. I have subscribed to your email too now.

I'm learning as I go. I am slightly obsessed with Fountain Pens!

www.penspaperink.com