EdwardSouthgate

Would like to hear any info I can get on this Osmia I just won on Ebay. Size in paticular is of interest . It has a Supra marked 14K nib so should be plenty flexi .

post-145609-0-60044700-1543019547_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-78785600-1543019571_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-72607300-1543019595_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-14701700-1543019623_thumb.jpg

post-145609-0-34274900-1543019650_thumb.jpg

Edited by EdwardSouthgate

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• EdwardSouthgate

• bass1193

• Inksomnia

In the '50s Osmia introduced a series of new models[...] the Osmia 52 for the student market.

Here what I found in http://www.fountainpen.it/Osmia/en

So, it is from the '50s and student market. That doesn't make it any way worse, Osmia "student" pens are great. I have 73 and it is one of my favorities.

I have no clue how Osmia numbering work, but it should tell the size. My guess, based on my own small collection, that last number is the size?

Bo Bo Olson has info about Osmia, he surely knows how these model numbers go.

I sent Bo Bo a message directing him to this thread knowing that he likes Osima and knew a good bit about them , was hoping he would post his reply here but he sent a private message instead . Any idea of the length/ diameter of the 52 ? Have a bid on an Osima 883 but may not get it as I am outbid and might not bid again due to buying this pen and a 264 Montblanc both last night . Hopefully Bo Bo will notice this and post more info here . Thanks for the help you have already given .

Eddie

Should have told me you had such a major beautiful pen here......you lucky dog you. What a beautiful pen. I find that a bit too beautiful to be a student pen.

As I said I don't know if it is a medium-small, with the 2...in a 54 is standard and a 76 is medium large, 2,4,6.

....Osmia didn't make MB 149 sized pens.

That is a 1951 pen...if you see the Faber-Castell Dossenheim is on one side, Osmia on the other.

The clip does have Osmia. There are two Osmia marked clips, one has a bit more a squared shoulder, one yours, and others that have no marking, one with a square shoulder and one very '50 generic.

Osmia has 4 or 5 Finials, one with the diamond in the finial as seen in the '62's picture.

They also had at least 4 finials with out any Osmia markings. This finial is on a Boehler 54 Gold...full tortoise, that I have on other Osmia pens. when Osmia and Boehler split, Boehler used the same numbers 54 =54 still.

qEZw8vj.jpg

Py1Q3Pk.jpg

There is a slight difference if one looks for it. This one had no osmia diamond and the finial was a tad different than others.

ndEYUCd.jpg

Then there are those with out the Osmia diamond nor Osmia clip.

I wondered for years why have so many versions or finial and clip that takes away the who of the pen.............well perhaps the boss didn't have as good a pen, and for job safety one went bland...............being here in Germany long enough and having a fair remembrance of how workers were back in the bad days....one dodn't want to show up the boss with a better Osmia than his...or a pen with a mark that was better than his 'Faber Castell' or lessor pen.

The Germans were very uniform...in the flowers that stood out got chopped off. One did not want to have a higher status, than the boss, so one could have the same good pen; at a lower status than the boss.

Bosses&status is a very thorny subject....and bosses can be so small that you don't get promoted in you had a better level Osmia than they, or as good.

So bland Osmia had a reason, no fancy clip, no fancy finial....sticking up in your pocket. One could survive the boss, with having a better pen, as long as he didn't get his nose rubbed into it. = Bland Osmia's.

That's as close as I can WOG. On the why of so meany bland finials and clips.

First to show the normal semi-flex nib with the small diamond.

It like yours is made '51. My 62 is black and gold. My 540 looks like this though.

It could well be your 52 is very early O-F-C, in Faber Castell added a third number...so my 54 becomes a 540.

HBMiI0r.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I missed you mentioning you had this very beautiful pen. And if that's a Student pen...it is the prettiest of student pens.

size.....I have medium small 62/63's but in plain black and gold. My gray, black and pearl 54 is standard, my 76's are medium large, so I'd guess a 52 would be medium-long like a Pelikan 140.

This is someone elses picture of a 62...I have a 540 very much like it.

RIUVKxa.jpg

I use it to show the finial, the clip, besides the color.

Here is a picture of a Supra nib (not mine)...two tone.

solid Gold at 14 K; like yours I have also.....I do have as many or even more in Steel that are Gold is no better.....only just as nice. Maxi-semi-flex. Picture used to show the big Diamond, with the Supra, or sometimes there is no diamond, just the Supra.

I take the worlds worst pictures so use those who can take a picture.

o2PJXYR.jpg

SM I'd guess is scrharg mittle, oblique M....Except your pen looks very much like a F or EF and not oblique at all. It could be a screw out nib Osmia, they do have them.....only have one of them...a 773 KM.

Could be they changed nibs at the famous corner pen shoppe.

Most I’ve covered one way or another in many posts.

Supra is a maxi-semi-flex nib, and if gold or steel makes no difference both are grand. Deleted is the how to smooth the drag to good and smooth only.

Osmia = Osmium...an osmium compound was invented by a Heidelberg professor and sold to the Boehler brothers @ 1922 with Osmium the 'newest' rare earth, and it was the finest tipping then.

1928 Parker under Lamy buys up Osmia, late 1929 Lamy leaves to start up his own factory, 1929 Parker sells back Osmia to the brothers.....who have had a technology transfer. 1932 In debt to Degussa, the gold and silver producer, Osmia has to give up it's Nib factory.

Degussa expected to move the nib factory some 50 miles/70 KM to Pfortzheim, but the workers refused to move.....move into a next of strangers, so far from folks they were related too, knew and drank with.............so the nib factory remained inside the Osmia factory.

Degussa continued making Osmia nibs, the regular semi-flex with the small diamond, or the maxi-semi-flex in the big diamond and or Supra or just Supra on nib.

Degussa also made nibs for Geha (steel just as good as the gold) (IMO a touch more springy than the Pelikan nibs) ...At least for the piston pens............I never chased the cartridge pens, which I expect to be only regular flex..................don't chase those. Geha was the first cartridge pen in Germany........when Pelikan came in with theirs, Geha redesigned the end of their cartridge to fit the Pelikan too.

There are no cartridges that fit a Geha cartridge pen and Geha cartridges after 50 years are hard to find. Geha stopped making pens in 1972 or so..........sold it's office supply business to Pelikan in @ 1990.

And for Soennecken with Bock or Degussa nibs..... in the mid-late '50's as the ball points drove Soennecken out of business...1960 RIP. They got into the ball point business too late (MB&Pelikan surviving because of their ball points) . Soennecken which was well known for its own very fine nibs, ended up using both Degussa and Bock nibs in the end.

So should you ever run into a Degussa nib, treat it with respect.

As 'noobie' here I bought the 'in house nibs are the only good ones' myth. In fact I had both a Bock and Degussa nib from dead pens, in my hand and had my hand over the trash can, before deciding they didn't take up much space.......................I was so new.........that Bock was semi-flex, as was the Degussa nib.....both steel. The real stupid things 'noobies' will listen to.....gold is better than steel, in house is better than Bock, MB's bottles is the only thing worth having from MB.****

That was before I found out that Osmia/Degussa or even Bock steel nibs are great. (Besides Osmia I have Degussa in both steel and gold, same with Bock.)

I only have one Rupp nib and it is a great, grand gold one. The one that started my definition of maxi-semi-flex. The other two times I saw a Rupp nib for sale on Germany Ebay, I finished second.

****A nail is a nail, there is no softer nail, there is no nail that is softer because it's a gold nail. A nail is a nail..(not even if an 18 K or 14 K gold nail....they are just as hard as steel) ..........how ever if someone is comparing a steel nail vs a gold semi-nail....then and only then, is the gold nib 'softer'. Semi-nail nibs, P-75 or the 400/600.

I guess the way my rant was scattered, there was no way to pull the pertinent info out.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

63 = 4 3/4" About the same width as the next two. 62 = 4 5/8".

52 = 4 3/4s.

883 is 5" long....same as a 773. Both are standard length, but a tad narrow.

The standard 540 is 4 7/8ths long but thicker than the 883/773.

BCHR 74 war pen, 4 7/8s. Is thicker than the 54/540.

The medium long 76 = 5 1/8", but thicker than the standard 54/540, a width near the new-medium-wide Pelikan 600. A nice girth.

Also three 30's pens; 76, 53 both BCHR, and 54 (full tortoise) I have from Boehler....same model size and number as from Osmia. The brothers split the firm in '38.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

Thank You Bo Bo . I had guessed maybe 4 3/4" . Probably more or less the same size as my Senator Regents . You have some very nice pens , that Tortoise is beautiful.

Eddie

The Final of the Boehler pens....the ones that 'match' the Osmia diamond.

As shown, with the tortoise, Boehler used many of the 'generic' finial and clips like the Osmia.

Over ten years of collecting......and it was once cheaper.....even if it didn't seem cheap at the time.

I lucked out on these two '38 BCHR Boehler's. There was a time when I thought I'd never afford BCHR, black chased hard rubber pens...........well :rolleyes: :headsmack:by only doubling my cheaper than hell level, there was a six month time when I got rained on with BCHR pens. One has physiological $$ borders one must cross.

Between LOM and not looking, I've not lucked out since..........though I've gone over to chasing pens at live auctions, where all I have to do is beat the dealer............where as on Ebay, I have to beat the collector which is a different ball park.

RfIkpTy.jpg

VOfcfN5.jpg

The Final of the Boehler pens....the ones that 'match' the Osmia diamond.

As shown, with the tortoise, Boehler used many of the 'generic' finial and clips like the Osmia.

Over ten years of collecting......and it was once cheaper.....even if it didn't seem cheap at the time.

I lucked out on these two '38 BCHR Boehler's. There was a time when I thought I'd never afford BCHR, black chased hard rubber pens...........well :rolleyes: :headsmack:by only doubling my cheaper than hell level, there was a six month time when I got rained on with BCHR pens. One has physiological $$ borders one must cross.

Between LOM and not looking, I've not lucked out since..........though I've gone over to chasing pens at live auctions, where all I have to do is beat the dealer............where as on Ebay, I have to beat the collector which is a different ball park.

RfIkpTy.jpg

VOfcfN5.jpg

Wow, Bo Bo! Those are beautiful! :wub: