uceroy

Hello!

I'm pretty much a beginner in the world of fountain pens and ink, and could use a bit of help. I have two bottles of ink from Giovanni Gnocchi. Both are 'new'/unopened.

The smaller one, with red ink, has a few tiny bits floating in it. Is it still usable?

The other bottle is a 250ml glass bottle with a cork stopper, still sealed with wax. I'm really eager to try the purple ink in it, but am worried about whether the ink will stay okay in there once opened. Would it be better to put it in a glass bottle with screw cap?

Any info you might have about these inks in general would be appreciated, thank you! ❤

kind regards, Janine

post-146308-0-50644400-1541715208_thumb.jpg

post-146308-0-55156400-1541715221_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• uceroy

• Goldberg

• amberleadavis

• bass1193

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

uceroy, neat bottles. Can you take a picture of the floaty bits in the red? That might let someone determine whether they're just particulates (harmless) or biological (don't want that in your pen).

As for the other, can you confirm it's still full? If so, that's a really good sign - no evaporation, and probably no contamination. Someone else will have to say whether you might need to transfer it to a capped bottle after unsealing.

Mostly, I'm just encouraging you to provide this extra info in hopes someone else can use it to help - I doubt I'll be able to help further.

Thank you for the swift reply. I attached a close-up of the red ink. You can see the tiny dark specks in there.

As for the purple ink, the bottle seems to be full, so I think it's still good to go. ☺

post-146308-0-80892700-1541717645_thumb.jpg

Edited by uceroy

Hello!

I'm pretty much a beginner in the world of fountain pens and ink, and could use a bit of help. I have two bottles of ink from Giovanni Gnocchi. Both are 'new'/unopened.

The smaller one, with red ink, has a few tiny bits floating in it. Is it still usable?

The other bottle is a 250ml glass bottle with a cork stopper, still sealed with wax. I'm really eager to try the purple ink in it, but am worried about whether the ink will stay okay in there once opened. Would it be better to put it in a glass bottle with screw cap?

Any info you might have about these inks in general would be appreciated, thank you! ❤

kind regards, Janine

I will reiterate what the last poster said: Nice Bottles!!

As to the RED ink... If it has bits floating in it, I'd temporarily not use it. I'd decant into a new sterile bottle and try to collect some of those bits could be the ink was re-bottled into a new bottle, and the bits might be old cork... or they could be biologicals. If you known any microbiologists and they don't appear to be cork, they could spread it out on a plain old Nutrient Agar Plate and incubate for a few days to see if there is any growth, if there is pitch the ink (but save the bottle).

As to the PURPLE ink... 250 mL?!? ...of INK!?! That it is SEALED is a good thing; the cork thing... depends on the cork used. Me?!? See if you can round up 3-5 50 mL or 90 mL jars and/or bottles and sterilize them in boiling water. See if you can get NEW caps for the bottles, if not clean out the old caps until there is no more color coming from the cap after you have decanted the ink into a jar/bottle first clean the lip and threads of the jar, then take something like Saran Wrap cover the mouth and threads of the jar and then screw the lid on tight, then seal the junction between the cap and the jar/bottle with either Paraffin Wax (if you know someone in a lab that cut you a small slice) or as an alternative Saran Wrap, then put the jar in a cool, dark place. Do that until all the ink has been transferred. Once you uncork that bottle you are asking for trouble, but Save the Bottle!! Now if you REALLY want yo make a splash I'd invest on one of these:

https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/desk-inkwells/products/twsbi-diamond-50-ink-bottle-blue-metal-cap?variant=11884780224555

(I think the jar also comes in Purple)

Actually at some point I might actually invest in one of these... no more ink stained fingers.

I'm afraid I have no info, but really looking forward to your experience. 250ml bottle :puddle:

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Such lovely artwork on those labels! Any idea from what time period these hail?

Not sure to be honest, but they are not that old, but more like.. made to look old. My guess would be somewhere from the 80's or 90's.

I guess I'll look into finding some nice clean ink bottles ☺ Will update!

Not sure to be honest, but they are not that old, but more like.. made to look old. My guess would be somewhere from the 80's or 90's.

I guess I'll look into finding some nice clean ink bottles ☺ Will update!

Yes, do please! I'm excited to live vicariously through you and see what these look like on paper! The purple at least, pending the possibility of biological activity in the red 😄

Yes, do please! I'm excited to live vicariously through you and see what these look like on paper! The purple at least, pending the possibility of biological activity in the red 😄

I have just ordered some new glass bottles with screw cap, which should arrive in a few days.

Is there any way to test the red ink without lab equipment? 🤔 I'll guess I could open it carefully (outside I think), and when there's a weird smell, pitch it?

If not, try it with dip pens after filtering? 😆

Found my old stash of ecoline (dye-based watercolors) yesterday as I was looking for some bottles at home. There was definitely some biological hazard in a few of those 🤢

Edited by uceroy

Is there any way to test the red ink without lab equipment? I'll guess I could open it carefully (outside I think), and when there's a weird smell, pitch it?

If not, try it with dip pens after filtering?

Can you photograph looking down into the ink with the bottle open? The "dark specks from the side" view isn't really enough to distinguish. Seems like when there's something growing, it usually attaches to the glass. Can you fish out any of the bits floating in the ink, to get a closer look? This might let you see whether it's inanimate or plant-like.

Yeah, s**t in the bottle usually has a nice moldy aroma, in my experience. That'd be a dead giveaway and good reason to pitch the ink. If not, then you could filter it and just to be safe treat it with a biocide. Then let it sit and see if any new floaters appear. Getting ahold of biocides can be difficult, though.

If it doesn't regrow beasties, then try it with a dipper and see if you like the color 😄

Be very careful with the 250mL Inchiostro copiativo bottle!

It is a special ink to use on transparencies and it is made to be permanent on plastic!

I don't know if you can put that ink in any pen without damaging it permanently.

I am no expert but this is what inchiostro copiativo means in italian, apparently there are different types of trasparencies inks.

Some ink experts can help us on this particular topic.

I can read that it is an iron gall ink, I can translate more if you make a close up of the label.

Inchiostro stilografico is the one right for fountain pens.

Edited by Goldberg

Be very careful with the 250mL Inchiostro copiativo bottle!

It is a special ink to use on transparencies and it is made to be permanent on plastic!

I don't know if you can put that ink in any pen without damaging it permanently.

I am no expert but this is what inchiostro copiativo means in italian, apparently there are different types of trasparencies inks.

Some ink experts can help us on this particular topic.

I can read that it is an iron gall ink, I can translate more if you make a close up of the label.

Inchiostro stilografico is the one right for fountain pens.

That's interesting! Never heard of an ink like that, outside of those Vis-a-vis pens for transparencies, though those aren't permanent. Permanent on plastic opens a whole realm of art possibilities 🤔

Edited by bass1193

It can be interesting for art but not good for fp, I would say.

That's what I've found and they talk about being permanent:

https://translate.google.it/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.imaxshop.com%2Fit%2Fhectograph-ink-fl-1-2-oz-15ml.html&edit-text=&act=url

Apparently transparencies are used for copying tatoos,, and this is where this ink is used right now. (I didn't know any of that, I am not into tatoos... :) )

But from what I've got there are different types of ink for transparencies.

Who knows?

Edited by Goldberg

It's a pity that this purple ink is not for fountain pens. As it is known on FPN, Gnocchi purple was the ink used by the famous Enzo Ferrari:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247633-the-purple-ink-of-enzo-ferrari/

What a shame...

But perhaps not everything is lost.

Anybody knows the Pelikan 3001 and if it can be used in fp?

It is an inchiostro copiativo too, apparently.

c435e2cb-f5ba-49c3-9dc8-8ffca0653f40.jpg

Encre à copier = inchiostro copiativo = english translation?

Edited by Goldberg

I appreciate the warning!

Although I have read somewhere that these are, in fact, fountain pen inks, and the label was designed this way to make them look like old ink bottles.. If I could only find that page again.. 😆 But I'll try them in my 3 Pelikan happy pen, just to err in the side of caution.. Definitely don't wanna ruin an expensive one 🤔

I've found pictures of a similar bottle (different color) here: http://www.overdiep.nl/ink/inkhome25.html

And attached some close-up pics. I'm expecting my glass jars tomorrow or the day after, so excited 😁

post-146308-0-89169100-1542056055_thumb.jpg

post-146308-0-38560100-1542056067_thumb.jpg

post-146308-0-36603700-1542056079_thumb.jpg

What a shame...

But perhaps not everything is lost.

Anybody knows the Pelikan 3001 and if it can be used in fp?

Encre à copier = inchiostro copiativo = english translation?

From what I can read on the label, the Pelikan 3001 is an iron gall ink (writes purple, colors to black, long lasting)

I'm not familiar yet with how ir if these would work in modern fountain pens without damaging the pen (Too new to the FP world ). I suppose they were used with quills back then.

I can read:

"Tannic based

This ink respects the ministerial law for authentic acts.

It can be used both for registers and for letter books,

obtaining from 3 to 4 copies, of a deep black."

"Notice

Do not mix up with other inks.

It should be stored in a an opaque inkwell to preserve it from the light"

It is written in an old mannered italian, so your hypothesis can be true but I would stay on the safe side especially with the first pen.

Of course we are all curious to see it on paper!

Edited by Goldberg

The Pelikan 3001 is an iron gall ink (writes purple, colors to black, long lasting)

It is probably not a coincidence that also the Gnocchi is pink and the label says it will change to black, both are iron gall.