Rohrer & Klingner Aubergine (2018 Limited Edition)

lgsoltek

Rohrer & Klingner has recently released a "2018 limited edition" ink called Aubergine. As a big fan of their inks, I think they deserve more recognition for their wonderful inks. Solferino remains my top purple/magenta/violet ink with its retina-searing brightness and vibrancy. I've bought a bottle of this new Aubergine and I like it very much.

Aubergine comes in a cardboard tube packaging and their regular understated bottle. I like their bottles because they are functional. The ink itself is a low-key yet gorgeous purple that leans to the blue side but never so much as to become a blurple. It shows quite a lot of shading. A slight golden-red sheen could sometimes be observed but is really subtle. The inks writes very wet, and the lubrication is medium to good. It's not water resistant but it leaves a visible dark trace.

Packaging

fpn_1541235950__aubergine_box.jpeg

fpn_1541235988__aubergine_bottle.jpeg

Splash

fpn_1541235978__aubergine_spl.jpeg

Sample

(Rhodia)

fpn_1541235955__aubergine.jpeg

fpn_1541235970__aubergine_close_up.jpeg

(Tomoe River)

fpn_1541235958__aubergine_tomoe.jpeg

fpn_1541235966__aubergine_tomoe_close_up

Comparison

(Maruman loose leaf. I think it could be quite close to the non-accessible Sailor Pen & Message Sanyasou but with less sheen. However I don't have that one (sample) anymore for a comparison.)

fpn_1541235974__aubergine_comp.jpeg

Miscellaneous

(For my November "Clash of the colours" ink combo I matched up Aubergine and KWZI Menthol Green. I think a purple and a cyan-turquoise colour combo is quite ugly LOL. What do you think?)

fpn_1541235984__aubergine_menthol_square

fpn_1541235963__aubergine_menthol.jpeg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• lapis

• lgsoltek

• migo984

I definitely like this and hope I can find it for a reasonable price.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Vismavitra went to a mission on planet Mars to try to buy Martians' inks. Did he succeed in his mission ? We might have the answer one of these days.

I’ve been using Aubergine for just over a week. A lovely grown-up shade of purple. No problems whatsoever in the pen; well-behaved and dries quickly on most papers. I think it’s quite different to Dark Lilac.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I got mine from FountainFeder.eu

Sold out.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Has anyone compared it to De Atramentis Aubergine?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Has anyone compared it to De Atramentis Aubergine?

The R & K leans more blue than DA Aubergine, which is definitely more reddish & is closer to aubergine skin colour, in my eyes.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Searched the name in Google and I can see there's an Australian store that carries it.

A$33 for a bottle shipped domestically… I think I'll pass on that, and get a bottle of Herbin 1798 Amethyste L'Oural from the UK or the Netherlands instead for significantly less money.

Thank you very much for looking it up all the same! :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A$33 for a bottle shipped domestically… I think I'll pass on that, and get a bottle of Herbin 1798 Amethyste L'Oural from the UK or the Netherlands instead for significantly less money. :)

Well, looking at one and the same store (yet without their own, very affordable shipping), the LE here in question comes in at 11.99 Euros, whereas the Amethyste L'Oural makes 20.99...................

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

lapis, on 04 Nov 2018 - 09:13, said:

Well, looking at one and the same store (yet without their own, very affordable shipping), the LE here in question comes in at 11.99 Euros, whereas the Amethyste L'Oural makes 20.99...................

The Australian retailer Lgsoltek alluded to is listing the R&K Aubergine at A$25, with no discounts for Fountain Pen Day 2018 or anything else; standard domestic shipping is A$8. Also, I cannot get free shipping from them even if I make the A$99 minimum threshold, because they explicitly said PO Boxes and Parcel Lockers are excluded from the offer; they will deliver to such only if I pay for shipping using our national postal carrier service.

I just tacked a bottle of the Amethyste de L'Oural to my yet-to-be-fulfilled order I placed yesterday with LCdC, and that cost me €14.22, which works out to about A$22.50 already cheaper than A$25 by a good margin on the effective item price, and I don't have to pay (additional) shipping for bringing it in overseas. (While I was at it, I also added a dozen bottles of R&K inks in other colours for €3.72 ⋍ A$5.88 each to the order.)

Before I did that, I checked on Bureau Direct. With the start-of-the-month 15% discount code, including international shipping charges for the ink (which cannot be avoided, as there is no free shipping offer) on its own it would cost me just under A$33, so not as much of a saving there.

However, Cult Pens would sell me a bottle of Amethyste de L'Oural for £14.96 (~A$27) before any discount code; and I just have to make the £70 minimum to get free shipping.

Edited by A Smug Dill