Dip Pen With Cap?

oraxia

I feel like I am simply failing at Google with this, but are there capped dip pen holders like the Tachikawa T-40 but with the usual metal petaled insert instead of the plastic/rubber rings?

Conversely, is there a way to convert a Tachikawa to that type of metal nib holder insert (or purchase one, since I lack skills)?

Is there a clever way to shim a nib into this holder, perhaps, as a temporary measure?

My issue is that I am taking a calligraphy class which has provided me with a nib that I was hoping to fit into a capped Tachikawa for easier transport (I like how the cap protects the nib better than me just wrapping a paper towel from the bathroom around it to keep the ink from getting all over me and my stuff). The nib (a Brause No.180 2 1/2mm broad?) falls right out, so I am not sure what the quickest solution would be. I am hesitant to do anything to the nib itself, and while I could try to purchase a different nib, I would like to stick with what was provided while in the class and also have no guarantee this wouldnt occur with any other nib I purchase that isnt a comic G (which seems to be all I can find in terms of what people are putting into this holder successfully, aside from an occasional maru/crow nib). Comic G wont really work for an italics class :/

Any suggestions or links to existing products that I am failing to find on Google are appreciated, and I apologize if this has already been asked. I didnt see another topic and this seemed like the most appropriate forum, but my search capabilities are admittedly poor :(

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oraxia

• Honeybadgers

• surprise123

• SoulSamurai

If you are talking about stiff nib calligraphy.

Lamy Safari with a 1.5 nib is what I use so I can see my mistakes, a 1.1 stubbed nib would do also.

Sheaffer made a three Calligraphy pen set you can find on Ebay.

Osmiroid made calligraphy nibs that fit an Esterbrook fountain pen. I have a 6 nib set (BB-EF with a couple 1/2 nibs in between) I picked up off of English ebay.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

When it comes to portable, I just keep a couple dip nibs in an ink sample vial, a collapsible faber castell water cup, a pen, and an ink sample vial of ink.

It's small, light, portable, and works for proper calligraphy

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Depends solely on what things you want to do. I have a Parallel custom-cut pen (triple-point, middle line is BB and other two lines are EF). I use it to impress friends, and whatnot.

Have you considered Pilot Parallel pen?

We were lent some Pilot Parallel pens for the first class, and this nib was given to us to see how it differs from that (and, I suppose, to get a better feel for a dip pen rather than a fountain)--you're absolutely right, the Pilot Parallel is definitely much more portable. As I mentioned, I am trying to stick with what was provided to me for the class (namely, this nib), I'm just trying to find a holder that is easy to use if you don't necessarily have a sink or water nearby, as the classes are held in a library lecture hall. If I ever need to travel with such a pen outside of the class, though, your suggestion is certainly ideal! Thank you :)

If you are talking about stiff nib calligraphy.

Lamy Safari with a 1.5 nib is what I use so I can see my mistakes, a 1.1 stubbed nib would do also.

Sheaffer made a three Calligraphy pen set you can find on Ebay.

Osmiroid made calligraphy nibs that fit an Esterbrook fountain pen. I have a 6 nib set (BB-EF with a couple 1/2 nibs in between) I picked up off of English ebay.

Given that the nib is quite stiff, yes, I think this probably is stiff nib calligraphy? (I hadn't heard it referred to as such before, but it makes sense.)

I do actually own one of those old Sheaffer calligraphy pen sets (apparently my dad tried to learn calligraphy at some point and didn't get very far since only one ink cartridge was missing), but as I mentioned I was trying to stick to practicing with what was provided to me rather than substituting as I'm not particularly knowledgeable and I figure the teacher has a reason for having us use a dip pen and this particular nib. Man, that sumi ink is pungent, though... I think when the class is done, I'll certainly practice with the Sheaffer set at home, since they're so darned convenient, but I should probably stick to the nib I was instructed to use for now. Thank you for the suggestion, and reminding me that the set has the broad nib--I've had the smallest nib in the pen I have out for a while and completely forgot about the other sizes! :)

When it comes to portable, I just keep a couple dip nibs in an ink sample vial, a collapsible faber castell water cup, a pen, and an ink sample vial of ink.

It's small, light, portable, and works for proper calligraphy

I'll definitely have to hold on to the ink sample vials when I finally empty one, as that sounds like a good idea (I'm still new to fountain pens, and I really don't write as much as I ought to if I really want to improve my handwriting)! I'll have to rummage around and see if I have any similar small container to keep the nib in until I can properly clean it after class--the class is held in a lecture hall in a library, so there isn't a sink handy without going through a couple of doors and I'm trying not to leave ink on things. I think if I can remember to keep some towels or tissues on me, that'll work well enough :) Thank you!

Ask your instructor.

It'll be another week or so until the next class, but that is a good point--I'll have to ask him if he has any suggestions after the next class :) And in the mean time, I'm at home, so I can use a normal holder. Thanks!

Depends solely on what things you want to do. I have a Parallel custom-cut pen (triple-point, middle line is BB and other two lines are EF). I use it to impress friends, and whatnot.

That... sounds like more pen that I can probably do any justice at my neophyte level, LOL :lol: It sounds like a makes a beautiful and very fancy line, though! I'm still struggling with getting consistent letters, so I suspect in my hands such a tool would be a lot less impressive :P Maybe when I get better I can consider it :) Do the EF "corners" of the pen ever snag?

I have no idea if I'll end up liking this nib more than any other, and I have no idea what other nibs we'll end up using in the class, I just really wanted the Tachikawa holder to work (and to be honest, I felt pretty clever when I thought I could use it until I actually tried sticking the nib in, d'oh). I'll probably just need to remember to bring some paper towels and find a small container to keep the inky nib in until I can clean it when I get home as Honeybadgers suggested. I can't imagine I'll be travelling with an inky nib much outside of perhaps taking another class, so I really just needed a temporary measure for it. Thanks for chiming in :)

altoids mini tins (the wide ones, not the long skinny ones) are also fantastic nib holders. It's what I keep all my extra nibs in.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I never thought of this before! And now the Pilot Parallel has just jumped up to the top of my shopping list.

I never thought of this before! And now the Pilot Parallel has just jumped up to the top of my shopping list.

I'll send you a link. The person I bought it from sells vintage calligraphy nibs and custom cuts his own Pilot Parallels.

I'll send you a link. The person I bought it from sells vintage calligraphy nibs and custom cuts his own Pilot Parallels.

Thanks!