1nkulus

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• 1nkulus

• Boz

Only for fountain pens, though; inks and paraphernalia are not included in the 10%-off promotion.

I've already spent hours battling the urge to get yet another pen, and only barely made it to bed to sleep it off without having placed an order.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've already spent hours battling the urge to get yet another pen, and only barely made it to bed to sleep it off without having placed an order.

Willpower to the rescue. :thumbup: 'Want' is a never ending story.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Willpower to the rescue. :thumbup:

Only because it's one of those pens that uses a Bock nib. Not that I have used a Bock nib (to my knowledge), or had any trouble with one, but I just don't value pens brands that don't make/brand their own nibs. That's why I kept buying more Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens, and I have a few Lamy pens, but I rarely buy other brands except for <$15 cheapies. This pen I'm looking at is a Karas Kustoms. "Made in USA" is all fine and dandy, and I'm sure the quality of manufacture is fine, but then not necessarily superior to Japanese-made or German-made at the same price point.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

This pen I'm looking at is a Karas Kustoms. "Made in USA" is all fine and dandy, and I'm sure the quality of manufacture is fine, but then not necessarily superior to Japanese-made or German-made at the same price point.

True, but you are buying to add to the collection which is very different to an EDC.

It is just something different to have, not need.

Only because it's one of those pens that uses a Bock nib. Not that I have used a Bock nib (to my knowledge), or had any trouble with one, but I just don't value pens brands that don't make/brand their own nibs. That's why I kept buying more Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens, and I have a few Lamy pens.

I prefer in-house nibs too.

Perhaps, a Parker/MB/Pelikan/Cross to add to the collection.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Having just received a Pilot Custom Maple/Kaede and a Sailor Koshu-Inden Sayagata (in black) this week, which I haven't even inked or tested yet, I really shouldn't be tempted!

True, but you are buying to add to the collection which is very different to an EDC.

It is just something different to have, not need.

You silver-tongued devil! The retailer has you to think.

I yielded... but, alas, not to Cult Pens (although I did place an order with them earlier in the week for 30 bottles of ink). I was tossing up between the Karas Kustoms Ink Clipless and the Diplomat Aero – the latter being more than twice the price of the former, as listed by Cult Pens – but found someone else that seriously trumped Cult Pens on the price of the Aero; and that's before I discovered the other retailer's list price included 21% tax that I didn't have to pay, and (at least while I was placing this order) was removed from the total at the last step, while still qualifying me for free tracked international shipping!

So, the Diplomat Aero and four bottles of KWZ Ink (added to make up the threshold for free shipping) cost me a total of ~A$200 shipped. Buying just the pen from Cult Pens, with the 10% discount and free shipping taken into account, would have cost me almost 9% more.

So, the Diplomat Aero and four bottles of KWZ Ink (added to make up the threshold for free shipping) cost me a total of ~A$200 shipped. Buying just the pen from Cult Pens, with the 10% discount and free shipping taken into account, would have cost me almost 9% more.

:thumbup:

I like Diplomat, both Excellence and Aero. Nibs are from Bock, IIRC.

IMO, the Diplomat was a better choice.

Both Dutch retailers are efficient and helpful. Who did you go with?

Engineer :

Having just received a Pilot Custom Maple/Kaede and a Sailor Koshu-Inden Sayagata (in black) this week, which I haven't even inked or tested yet, I really shouldn't be tempted!

:puddle: :thumbup:

Temptation has no bounds, so keep calm and buy on. ;)

Engineer :

I bought the Diplomat Aero from La Couronne du Comte. Last time I bought from LCdC was in 2014, when the Aussie dollar was worth much more. I was more than happy enough with that transaction; it's just that since then I've been mainly buying Japanese pens from Japanese sellers, and the occasional Lamy from UK sellers (usually via Amazon or eBay).

I bought the Diplomat Aero from La Couronne du Comte.

I have bought from them on a few occasions. No issues and prompt service.

Did you get the orange or brown Aero? 14K nib?

Engineer :

Aero in orange, with steel EF nib. Frankly, I don't trust European nibs to deliver as fine a line as I require or prefer, so I'm not going to spend a whole whack on 'upgrading' the nib on a European pen to 14K gold, when if anything gold alloy nibs could only be expected to be no harder, but possibly softer, than steel nibs.

Aero in orange, with steel EF nib. Frankly, I don't trust European nibs to deliver as fine a line as I require or prefer, so I'm not going to spend a whole whack on 'upgrading' the nib on a European pen to 14K gold, when if anything gold alloy nibs could only be expected to be no harder, but possibly softer, than steel nibs.

Good choice. :thumbup:

IMO, Japanese nibs for 'fine' and European for 'broad'. I tend to prefer gold but steel is just as good.

Engineer :

I don't use 'broad', full stop. When I want something that writes broad in particular ways, I use a Japanese pen with some variant of a Naginata Concord nib, a Fude nib, a Zoom nib, or a Music nib. Or even a cheap Pilot with a CM (Calligraphy Medium?) nib.

The 'best' European nibs I have are on Rotring pens: a steel EF nib on a Rotring 400, and a steel M nib on a Rotring Initial that writes like a Fine nib. (I have three Rotring Initial pens, all with M nibs, and each one writes differently.) The gold alloy nib that's on my 'first' fountain pen, as in the first one I went out and bought with money I earned as a professional, is a Fine nib on a Waterman Expert; it was nice enough and I enjoyed using that pen (now part of my fiancée's stable), but now that I know more about pens, I think it was a bit dry even for my tastes. All of the S.T. Dupont, Parker, Cross, etc. pens have left me completely unimpressed. I think I had a Diplomat pen, too, maybe fifteen years ago, and I can't remember what happened to it; I may have tossed it out because its cap seal wasn't really preventing ink from evaporating.

I don't use 'broad', full stop. When I want something that writes broad in particular ways, I use a Japanese pen with some variant of a Naginata Concord nib, a Fude nib, a Zoom nib, or a Music nib. Or even a cheap Pilot with a CM (Calligraphy Medium?) nib.

I like the Japanese variant nibs, but have a few broad nibs too.

The older Parker's had a great nib selection. Perhaps, give an older Duofold a shot.

Have you received the Aero yet?

Engineer :

No, LCdC advised that the Aero in my colour of choice is not in stock until next week(?), and I declined the offer of fulfilling my order with an alternative colour ('Factory'? =raw aluminium? Helno, thanks!).

No, LCdC advised that the Aero in my colour of choice is not in stock until next week(?), and I declined the offer of fulfilling my order with an alternative colour ('Factory'? =raw aluminium? Helno, thanks!).

Damn, just a temp. setback. Glad you did not substitute it for another color.

You will still have it within the next two weeks, as they do tend to ship promptly once in stock.

Engineer :

Thanks, I hope so. I did inform them that I will be heading overseas later this month, and so they should inform me when they're ready to fulfil the rest of the order, so that the timing can be better managed – to ideally arrive after I get home but before Christmas, because no-one can/will collect the bulky items (including the 45-pen display box) from the post office in my absence, and I don't want it returned to sender because it sat there uncollected for a few days.

Thanks, I hope so. I did inform them that I will be heading overseas later this month, and so they should inform me when they're ready to fulfil the rest of the order, so that the timing can be better managed – to ideally arrive after I get home but before Christmas, because no-one can/will collect the bulky items (including the 45-pen display box) from the post office in my absence, and I don't want it returned to sender because it sat there uncollected for a few days.

That would be awful. Send them another email on Monday.

How long does the P.O keep items before returning them? It is 18 days in the UK.

OTOH, which pen display case did you get?

Engineer :