• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• A Smug Dill

• evyxmsj

• mhguda

Sheesh November already!

This topic is tricky. The more I think about it, most colours go together: just about context and proportion. Perhaps something like two reds that are similar enough to be jarring? Or am I overthinking this!?

Or is it about _mixing_ two colours...

Sheesh November already!

This topic is tricky. The more I think about it, most colours go together: just about context and proportion. Perhaps something like two reds that are similar enough to be jarring? Or am I overthinking this!?

Or is it about _mixing_ two colours...

Well I do think there are colour combos that look bad, haha. If you want to give it a twist by mixing, why not? Edited by Lgsoltek

Here it is, a combo that I find really ugly: purple (R&K Aubergine) and cyano-turquoise (KWZI Menthol Green).

Reminds me of 90s shell suits: https://goo.gl/images/yYwC5m

Which, I have to confess to finding ugly! That and what seemed to me to be a corporate teal trend put me off teal for years. I'm finding I like teal inks now though.

Edited by evyxmsj

I'm thinking spearmint, and bubble gum pink or maybe hot pink.

It is with some shock and discomfort that I just realised I don't have mint-coloured inks – and that's fine by me – but I have more than one or two pink inks (Lamy Vibrant Pink, Pilot Iroshizuku kosumosu, and Montblanc Ruby Red which is way more pale than red).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It is with some shock and discomfort that I just realised I don't have mint-coloured inks – and that's fine by me – but I have more than one or two pink inks (Lamy Vibrant Pink, Pilot Iroshizuku kosumosu, and Montblanc Ruby Red which is way more pale than red).

fpn_1541267684__img_4671.jpg

fpn_1541267703__img_4669.jpg

fpn_1541267718__img_4670.jpg

This second image is closer to the real colour than the first one.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

You meaning like this? Eww!!!

You meaning like this?

Yes, very much like that! Your google-fu is strong (but perhaps not so your stomach). :P

I just thought of another 'colour' combination that is bound to cause psychological discomfort and alarm, and maybe trigger a visceral reaction:

• urine and blood

I don't have a yellow enough ink, but for the blood part I'd probably use Diamine Oxblood.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I honestly cannot decide which two adjacent colours on this look worst together:

fpn_1541310688__clashing_colours_for_nov

I walk into the lift in my high-rise apartment building earlier today, and was visually assaulted by one of bullies standing in front of a merciless girl:

https://www.amazon.ca/Benetton-Software-Rolling-Orange-Medium/dp/B00AGT3NXQ

I think I threw up a little in my mouth. It made for an awfully long elevator ride.

Edited by A Smug Dill

Ajisai and any orange, Ina-ho can't get a break, next to tans.

fpn_1541361776__ajisai_oranges.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

I walk into the lift in my high-rise apartment building earlier today, and was visually assaulted by one of bullies standing in front of a merciless girl:

https://www.amazon.ca/Benetton-Software-Rolling-Orange-Medium/dp/B00AGT3NXQ

I think I threw up a little in my mouth. It made for an awfully long elevator ride.

That is one ugly suitcase!

A bit late to the party, but here's mine. I've sort of cheated as I've used these for other months. But in looking at what I had inked up, I realised I'd hate these together on a page:

http://i65.tinypic.com/x25i4y.jpg

I don't have any I don't like together... so not posting any pictures. That said, I think Noihvo, Smug dill and Pseudo88 did manage to make me cringe, a little. But Lgsoltek, and evyxmsj, I like your color combinations. I like the clashing of the purple and turquoise, and the meshing of subtle brown and burned red. At least in your photos. I've combined purple and tealish inks on many of my pages. Not so much brown and burgundy, but now I think I will... :D :yikes:

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Sorry, but the underlying colour of the images is weird. I took it inside near a window in the middle of the day, I blame my phone ;)

fpn_1542597054__november_2018_1_of_2.png

fpn_1542597189__november_2018_2_of_2.png

Hard for me to see what's ugly about that green ink you used, on its own. I'll have to look for some reviews. :)

Edit:

Ah. Similar to Rohrer & Klingner Smaragdgrün, then, which I've ordered and am looking forward to receiving; maybe a tad darker?

Edited by A Smug Dill

Here it is, a combo that I find really ugly: purple (R&K Aubergine) and cyano-turquoise (KWZI Menthol Green).

fpn_1541235984__aubergine_menthol_square

fpn_1541235963__aubergine_menthol.jpeg

That's actually a pretty awesome and trippy combo! With some NickyStew-type work, I bet you'd be able to make an awesome nubula!

Edit: you already did make an awesome nebula, really 😄 just splatter some stars on with white paint and sell it on Etsy for $50!

Edited by bass1193

A bit late to the party, but here's mine. I've sort of cheated as I've used these for other months. But in looking at what I had inked up, I realised I'd hate these together on a page:

http://i65.tinypic.com/x25i4y.jpg

Ha I don’t find this combo that bad.

I realised I'd hate these together on a page:

Those colours make me think of:

MI0002190194.jpg

Source: AllMusic

and:

00P9000001V3HF4EAN.png

Source: Australian Sports Foundation

even though you chose a brown and not an orangey yellow to 'partner' with the burgundy.