Well... That Escalated Quickly... (Pelikan 100N Bbb-Marked Nib)

mana

Was looking into this auction earlier today, namely for the BBB-nib which was the star of that show. I was willing to bid up to around $150-200 or so just for the nib as I already have two BBB-wide nibs for the 100N (one script and one dot script), sadly both without that elusive BBB marking...

But yeah, wow, what can I say, last second bids show that someone really really really wanted that nib. I didn't even feel bad losing on that one (instead I actually laughed out loud a bit) even though this is only about the second time I have seen one for sale during the last 10 years. :D

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-late-40s-PELIKAN-100N-Black-fountain-pen-Excellent-BBB-nib-FOR-PARTS/192698715278

Edited by mana

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• mana

• Soot

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes! That's spendy, even for BBB.

I saw a similar happening a short while back wherein a Chavet chess set from the 90's (iirc) went over $3000 in the final moments... :yikes: Too steep for my blood.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Pricey but not too bad, considering the rarity.

Modern M1000 'B' is $300 (without VAT).

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Cool (and desirable) as a pen especially with the BBB on the piston housing. It would be even better if it was marked BBB on the nib also which is what made the nib in the original listing that much more interesting. Super, super nice though... Hmmm...

It would be even better if it was marked BBB on the nib also which is what made the nib in the original listing that much more interesting.

Here's a spade for you, or two --- Enjoy~

31768102548_b8476e1983_b.jpg

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

I thought Pelikan came in with nib marking in late 1954....in I have a '50-54 400 with a nib marking....and a few 400's with out. (400n adn 400nn with nib markings.) I do have a transition 400, no piston knob marking and nib marking.

My F/EF? post war 100n has only the k for kugal, my Ibis has no marking on the nib either.

Dammed expensive for a nib. :yikes: ..in the feed has two broken rills and it needs a new front section. :headsmack: :doh:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have 500 Tortoise with what I judge to be a OBBB nib. '51-54 had no size marking engraved in the rolled gold piston knob overlay, nor on the nib.

The 500n and 500nn had marked nibs and not gold overlay piston.

I have other OBB nibs from that era....well even then everything in a company's tolerance wasn't perfect. One of the two Osmia nibs is only an OB1/2. :P That's why I judge that OBBB.

It is a pure signature nib where once could write with a OBB.

It is also a maxi-semi-flex and has a slightly rare 30 degree grind. The only 30 degree grind I have from Pelikan.

I have a 30 degree grind in the for mentioned OBB, an OBB & OB, OM and OF. Pure luck of the draw. That is a mix of semi or maxi...didn't win a billion dollars so can't get that if both semi and maxi.

OBBB or BBB is good for headings only. If I write my full legal name (Even first name, Middle Initial) and want to read it, it takes up 2/3rds to 3/4ths a page. :o :unsure:

(Good think I have other 400's so can swap nibs... :happyberet: )

For what was that $312....I'll sell my OBBB nib :drool: .....and the rest of the pen in dammed fine condition ....lets say $700 for both...sounds new market price to me.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Soot, ... that's just plain mean!

My bad! :rolleyes: And I've already left out the OBBBs in the picture...

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

My bad! :rolleyes: And I've already left out the OBBBs in the picture...

Soot, those are gorgeous! But please show the OBBB too, I know I'm not the only one who would love to see it. :puddle:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Soot's picture is no longer available. :(

Gee I just realized I don't have to save for my old age any more....I got there. B)

That's two pens I have gotten reasonable that skyrocketed. :thumbup:

The 500 with the OBBB maxi-semi-flex, 30 degree grind, and the MB 234 1/2 Deluxe ('52-54 only) semi-flex KOB that I got as part of a live auction lot.....it, a 400nn +455&450.

The Deluxe has a Meisterstuck clip and a different cap ring than the normal 234 1/2 (4 1/2 = nib size)

I was after that 400nn, and was going to sell the MP* 450 and BP 455 (typical '50's :angry: ball point), along with that ugly (Before Lambrou book that showed me the 139 it was base off of...for folks that didn't like the modern torpedo shape of the 146/9) MB that I knew was going to drive up the price. I paid E170 +25 costs.

Got home and did some research. That ugly MB was going for $200. :o

Surprised me, the MB ended up in my top three for best balance pens. Real nice KOB nib.....good buy. :) (Hadn't expected taht in it has brass fittings to the piston and is a tad back heavy, but the slightly wider girth makes up for that. All three of my then 'perfect' balanced pens were different.

Picture of someone else's ....in back when I got it (in the last ice age) ...I made horrible pictures and really should try with the 'better' camera. Most horrible pictures of the nib too.

bYWN5De.jpg

S6TQikY.jpg

Then the next thing I know that MB is worth $500. :yikes:... :vbg:

Real, real good buy. :P

I will admit to getting a good deal on the 500....but will swap it for a small fortune. :rolleyes:

Now I got to Photograph the great, grand, fantastic GOLD OBBB nib....

If anyone wants I have a Manuscript pen with BBBB nib. :bunny01:......... :P

* No way will I ever sell that Pelikan 450 MP.

I always hated MP's as a child, even the Jotter....some years after I got the MB and 400nn at the auction, I just wanted to see if Pelikan MP worked, so pulled it out and scribbled....only stopped when I ran out of lead and coudln't figure out how to load it. For 6 weeks I didn't use a fountain pen. That mechanical pencil has for me great balance.

Have since figured out how to load it.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson