Closed - Ranga Handmade Pens - Grand Festival Group Buy- 10 Models In Various Choices

mpkandan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• sansenri

• Dupontdelamare

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love ebonite, but all these pens are too long for me. And aside from the 8, they're also all too thick. But I find I prefer the shape of the 3C. So if I could, I'd have either a 3C, shortened to ~5.25" (give or take 5mm) and turned down to 12mm barrel diameter and 14mm cap diameter, or an 8, with the ends flattened like the 3C and shortened to 5.25".

How would you want me to place that order?

Thank you, Mr Kandan - my latest lovely pens arrived and have also sent you an email for some other colours. The Regular Bamboo is so comfortable to hold.

post-23341-0-22542400-1545919146_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-34222900-1545919191_thumb.jpg

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Dear All,

Big Thanks for your great Support. We are closing this Group Buy on Today.

We wish you Great New year 2019!!!!

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Mine arrived but must have been damaged on the way overseas because it writes incredibly scratchy. I examine it and expect the usual suspect, misaligned tines but no! Instead it seems as some of the actual tipping is missing from the nib on the end like its chiseled.

It gets better (worse) the free Oliver pen included was a nice guesture but it literally doesnt write, as in if I prime the feed ink will drip from the nibs breathing hole but never reach the tip. I tried pressing the nib to the feed but its still a dead pen!

Yes Ive sent an email, this morning in fact...

Edit: got the freebie to work by dipping it first then filling. I think It works?

Edited by Mechayoshi

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

Big Thanks for your great Support. We are closing this Group Buy on Today.

We wish you Great New year 2019!!!!

Oh no -- I forgot about time zones and only just submitted my form for 2 pens. It's still 2018 where I live, I hope I'm not too late?

My pens arrived a few days ago, perfectly wrapped in a hand sewn cotton sleeve to keep prying eyes and hands at bay.

http://i67.tinypic.com/mhedr8.jpg

The inner pen box was covered with a sheet of paper from World Toons which we amusedly browsed as we discovered the three pens within.

World Toons:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2zgvqmd.jpg

Addicted to my fossilised wood black Bakul CC Asa Nauka with 1.1 JoWo Nib, I had ordered two matte 8bs : One an ED 8b in a similar black bakul ebonite with Kanwrite flex nib, the other a CC in drift wood matte mottled brown with a Bock 1.5 nib.

Fossilised and Drift wood pens:

http://i63.tinypic.com/r0tvux.jpg

Looking for a similar coloured ink, with good shading to take advantage of the 1.5 nib, I inked up this brown mottled Indian hand-made pen with an appropriate Krishna hand-made Bronze-Leaf Indian ink (a sort of darker version of Callifolios Inti) which seems to work well (as predicted by V. Mehandirattas recent review of this ink).

Understated matte pens dont instantly strike you, but when the pen is well balanced and writes well, their warm woody texture seems to grow on you. In my hand, the Nauka and the 8b call for a different hand position: the Asa I tend to grip far back near the body, while the 8bs hour glass section draws me to the front, but both seem equally comfortable and well balanced:

http://i65.tinypic.com/k2zdlk.jpg

The advantage of the black bakul 8b is that its colour should be compatible with almost any shade of ink, but the size of the EDs ink reserve means I need to be sure of my choice before inking it up. Its Kanwrite flex nib does call for a shading ink, but the absence of gold plating would presumably preclude even a weak IG ink. I am still looking for a pen suitable for experimenting with my bottles of KWZ Aztec Gold and Mandarine, but I might make use of my sacs of Callifolio Inti, Cannelle, or Inca Sol which are similar shading inks, that can also be mixed together.

The third pen is a beautiful green, orange, and blue veined prime ebonite 3C pen. The highly polished ebonite brings out the patterns of the coloured veins but also a striking cold temperature contrast with the matte pens. I love the contrast as I swap pens:

[http://i65.tinypic.com/2e5jyup.jpg

The section shape and the balance allows me again to hold the pen further back, even if I can feel the cap threads they are so smooth that this is not at all a bother.

http://i63.tinypic.com/54xcll.jpg

According to some reports, the veined variation in the cap can be quite different from that in the pen body, but this is fortunately not at all the case here where the orange and green lines are clearly marked throughout, with a grey brownish background (but with less contrast than the photo seems to show):

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uymadu.jpg

Echoes of this in the ink could call for an orange (eg Orange Indien, Herbin?), a bluish green (eg Apple Glory, Diamine?) or a grey brown ink (eg Cacao, Herbin?). However, the pen merits a more interesting ink that Id use more frequently; and indeed, I have ordered a bottle of KWZ Monarch with hopefully a more complex shading than the more obvious choices mentioned above. Again ED filling makes a good choice essential, so any suggestions would be gladly received.

The clips on these three pens may not be their high point, although the silver ones complement quite well the silver Kanwrite flex nibs, but in all I am very satisfied, and the prime ebonite 3C pen is quite exceptional, far better than the photo moght lead one to believe.

These three pens are my first contact with Ranga, and I am very favourably impressed, Mr Kandans craftsmanship is superb and these Ranga pens very satisfying. Rangas organisation is impeccable. Thank you very much, Mr Kandan!

And a happy new year to FPN members.

Regards

Dupontdelamare

I cant edit that other post but the issue was solved today after much fighting, not with Mr. Kandan but with PayPal rather for a partial refund. Anyway I got it and a replacement nib is on the way. Heres how it looks. It was the model 3C with some sort of premium pattern I cant even remember anymore. Enjoy.

Edit: this site hates me. Not only do images only show upside down, the upload size limit is puny.

post-146057-0-85228400-1546487332_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mechayoshi

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

I cant edit that other post but the issue was solved today after much fighting, not with Mr. Kandan but with PayPal rather for a partial refund. Anyway I got it and a replacement nib is on the way. Heres how it looks. It was the model 3C with some sort of premium pattern I cant even remember anymore. Enjoy.

Edit: this site hates me. Not only do images only show upside down, the upload size limit is puny.

Good to hear your issues with the Ranga pen have been resolved - I've always found Mr M.P. Kandan very straightforward to deal with. I hope you're able to enjoy your pen once the new nib arrives!

Still waiting for my pen to reach me...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you so much for organizing this. Unfortunately, both of the colors I received were wrong. Did anyone else receive colors that were not what they ordered?

just for colour comparison, here are two model 4 in polished (blue ripple) and bakul (red/pink ripple).

What I have noticed is that polished finish increases the contrasts between colours of the ripple, bakul softens it out.

Both are nice finishes, bakul feels even nicer in the hand, warmer, similar to wood. Polished protects the pen slightly more from ink stains.

fpn_1541804215__p1140777-3_ranga_4_red_r

What is the opaque pen on the left. That's lovely!

Thank you so much for organizing this. Unfortunately, both of the colors I received were wrong. Did anyone else receive colors that were not what they ordered?

Respected Ssata ,

As discussed in PM. I have verified with the pictures that you sent to us.

It is as per your order S13 and S5

Hope you will enjoy your pens

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Somewhat late update: I have received mine. It is everything I expected. Thanks again for this group buy!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Because I was unsure of my travel plans at the beginning of this year I ordered my Rose red coloured premium ebonite Thin Bamboo pen to be sent to my sister in Australia. She called me to say that my 'parcel from India' had arrived last Monday (14th January). Given that I placed my order on the 9th December 2018, I consider that to be excellent service. Unfortunately, I won't be in Australia until late February but at least I will have a new pen waiting for me.

I've asked my sister to open the parcel and send me photographs of the pen. I will post them here when I get them.

Many thanks to Kandan M.P. and the Ranga Pen Company for the excellent service.

Hello all

Form submitted

4C with silver clip, C/C, bock silver medium nib and S12. Rose Red - Black Ripple in matte finish

Here are photographs of my other Rangas. I agree with Sanseri about the matte finish softening the swirls and giving the pen a warmer touch...

http://lezardblues.free.fr/stylos/ranga/4C_2.JPG

did you receive the pens? mine just arrived few days ago... missed Christmas but just in time for my birthday!

that's an odd section on your blue-black ripple! did you custom request it?

8B in forest green is lovely too!

What is the opaque pen on the left. That's lovely!

Ah yes, that's a Ranga 4, flat top demonstrator (in transparent acrylic)

It was on offer in one of the earlier group buys

My pens arrived a few days ago, perfectly wrapped in a hand sewn cotton sleeve to keep prying eyes and hands at bay.

http://i67.tinypic.com/mhedr8.jpg

The inner pen box was covered with a sheet of paper from World Toons which we amusedly browsed as we discovered the three pens within.

World Toons:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2zgvqmd.jpg

Addicted to my fossilised wood black Bakul CC Asa Nauka with 1.1 JoWo Nib, I had ordered two matte 8bs : One an ED 8b in a similar black bakul ebonite with Kanwrite flex nib, the other a CC in drift wood matte mottled brown with a Bock 1.5 nib.

Fossilised and Drift wood pens:

http://i63.tinypic.com/r0tvux.jpg

Looking for a similar coloured ink, with good shading to take advantage of the 1.5 nib, I inked up this brown mottled Indian hand-made pen with an appropriate Krishna hand-made Bronze-Leaf Indian ink (a sort of darker version of Callifolios Inti) which seems to work well (as predicted by V. Mehandirattas recent review of this ink).

Understated matte pens dont instantly strike you, but when the pen is well balanced and writes well, their warm woody texture seems to grow on you. In my hand, the Nauka and the 8b call for a different hand position: the Asa I tend to grip far back near the body, while the 8bs hour glass section draws me to the front, but both seem equally comfortable and well balanced:

http://i65.tinypic.com/k2zdlk.jpg

The advantage of the black bakul 8b is that its colour should be compatible with almost any shade of ink, but the size of the EDs ink reserve means I need to be sure of my choice before inking it up. Its Kanwrite flex nib does call for a shading ink, but the absence of gold plating would presumably preclude even a weak IG ink. I am still looking for a pen suitable for experimenting with my bottles of KWZ Aztec Gold and Mandarine, but I might make use of my sacs of Callifolio Inti, Cannelle, or Inca Sol which are similar shading inks, that can also be mixed together.

The third pen is a beautiful green, orange, and blue veined prime ebonite 3C pen. The highly polished ebonite brings out the patterns of the coloured veins but also a striking cold temperature contrast with the matte pens. I love the contrast as I swap pens:

[http://i65.tinypic.com/2e5jyup.jpg

The section shape and the balance allows me again to hold the pen further back, even if I can feel the cap threads they are so smooth that this is not at all a bother.

http://i63.tinypic.com/54xcll.jpg

According to some reports, the veined variation in the cap can be quite different from that in the pen body, but this is fortunately not at all the case here where the orange and green lines are clearly marked throughout, with a grey brownish background (but with less contrast than the photo seems to show):

http://i64.tinypic.com/2uymadu.jpg

Echoes of this in the ink could call for an orange (eg Orange Indien, Herbin?), a bluish green (eg Apple Glory, Diamine?) or a grey brown ink (eg Cacao, Herbin?). However, the pen merits a more interesting ink that Id use more frequently; and indeed, I have ordered a bottle of KWZ Monarch with hopefully a more complex shading than the more obvious choices mentioned above. Again ED filling makes a good choice essential, so any suggestions would be gladly received.

The clips on these three pens may not be their high point, although the silver ones complement quite well the silver Kanwrite flex nibs, but in all I am very satisfied, and the prime ebonite 3C pen is quite exceptional, far better than the photo moght lead one to believe.

These three pens are my first contact with Ranga, and I am very favourably impressed, Mr Kandans craftsmanship is superb and these Ranga pens very satisfying. Rangas organisation is impeccable. Thank you very much, Mr Kandan!

And a happy new year to FPN members.

Regards

Dupontdelamare

Lovely pens

bakul black is a classic, and so is mottled brown, one of the nicer standard ebonite colours that deserves bakul (I have a Ranga Emperor in this finish). Next try also olive-black ripple in bakul...

And you are right, the warm feel in the hand is the real reason to choose bakul.

Lie de thé in the mottled brown, perhaps?

Premium orange green blue 3C is lovely too, I have exactly the same pen in this colour, the ebonite colour swirls are mesmerizing.

This ebonite is even smoother than standard and the threads are as if they were not there, I love this too.

Any blue will do in this, and considering ED, one of those blues that you got free with some pen purchase and you have 3-4 bottles of, sitting around...

I try to use up my overstock of Pelikan royal blue in my EDs...

enjoy the pens

PS as this is your first Ranga purchase, consider clipless in your next (likely ) Ranga.

Particularly in the larger pens the clip is not so useful (the bigger pens don't fit in your pocket anyway!)

and the ebonite wonderful patters deserve not to be interrupted by the clip.

If you are worried about the pen rolling off your desk, some roll stoppers look nice on the Rangas, too.

Edited by sansenri