Kuretake Kyara - Dark Green

DrDebG

Recently, Mike at Vanness Pens sent me a sample of Kuretake Kyara with my order. Thank you, Mike, for providing this lovely ink. It is a pleasure to use and review.

This ink is a lovely dark green, almost black ink. It is highly saturated and lightly scented with agarwood. I am generally very sensitive to scented ink, but I do like this one. It is not overpowering and seems to dissipate quickly. It leaves just a very slight, lingering woodsy scent - wonderful for the fall!

The bottle the ink comes is in beautiful. It is a limited edition bottle in the Edo Kiriko pattern. While I have not actually seen the bottle, the opening and depth of the bottle appear large enough for large pens.

fpn_1540700836__hand_cut_ink_bottle_ea2b

The ink is very saturated with a reddish sheen which presents even on lesser quality papers.

fpn_1540698978__ink_spot.jpg

Photo

fpn_1540698997__kuratake_kyara_6x7.jpg

Scan - Paper: Xerox Vitality Premium Copy Paper; Pens: Faber Castell Loom with Fine Point, Italix Captain's Commision with medium italic nib

fpn_1540699014__kuratake_kyara_on_ampad.

Scan - Paper: Ampad Engineer's Computation Pad; Pen: Italix Captain's Commission - medium Italix nib

fpn_1540699855__tomoe_river_4x6.jpg

Photo - Tomoe River Paper in Cream - Italix Captain's Commission with Medium Italic nib

Positive Aspects of the Ink:

• Very saturated color
  • Behaves well in each pen that I used
  • Lovely sheen and shading with broader nibs
  • Great flow and lubrication
  • Fairly water resistant
  • Dries fairly quickly with fine nib; longer with italic nib
  • Cleans up fairly easily from the pen

Not so positive aspects of the ink:

• Feathers on lesser quality paper with broader nibs.

In truth, I have never appreciated dark, intense almost blackish green colors. I much prefer more transparent colors - almost watercolors. BUT, this color has an almost mysterious color about it. Yes, it is dark. Yes, it is intense. Yes, it is murky. But somehow, I really like it.

Please note that the name of the ink is Kuretake, not Kuratake.

Edited by DrPenfection

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• bass1193

• amberleadavis

• Barkingpig

Interesting ink! I have a bottle of Diamine green-black which is similar but different. Similar color, but cooler and less woodsy than what this ink seems to be. Otherwise, sheen seems very similar. I'm very tempted to buy this Kuratake ink for the bottle alone, in addition to the unique color!

And what an interesting line of inks! They're all x-black, so, green-black, purple-black, yellow-black, and black-black. And they're all scented differently. Thanks for the heads-up on these! Super excited to try them out!

Edited by bass1193

Oh, wait, it's Kuretake, not Kuratake

Thank you so much for catching that!!!! I have made the appropriate correction.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

And what an interesting line of inks! They're all x-black, so, green-black, purple-black, yellow-black, and black. And they're all scented differently. Thanks for the heads-up on these! Super excited to try them out!

You are welcome. It isn't very often that I get excited about this color - in fact very rarely. But the ink has a great formulation and the color is quite interesting.

OH MY

I love it. I love the bottle and the color!

Where did you find it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Vanness Pen Shop

AND, they have been known to sell the empty bottles, after they have filled samples from them!

Thank you so much for catching that!!!! I have made the appropriate correction.

You aren't entirely to blame! Vanness has it spelled "Kuratake" on the Kyara swatch too, but the others are spelled right. 😄

Edited by bass1193

nice Work and nice ink.

love the bottle too... What is the price of a bottle

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

They are listed among "Accessories" on their web site & are $10.00, when available.

great price! Thanks

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

The ink in this lovely bottle is $39.00. But the bottle holds 55mL of ink. it is a bit high, but as nice as this ink is, I think it is worth it.

The only place I have seen - although I have not done an exhaustive search - that sells the ink is Vanness Pens.

I first saw this ink on one of the (maybe Rakuten?) shopping sites for ink. They offered the ink, as well as empty bottles & I remember being excited to add a bottle & some empty bottles to my cart. As often is the case, the site then disclaims that the Seller cannot ship the item to my address. I have never used a shipping service so I usually give up & think, "Oh well."

When, perhaps a year later I spied them @ Vanness, I recognised the bottle, remembered the ink & happily ordered a bottle.

This & several other purchases from Vanness have been one of the many reasons I remain grateful to them for their discovery & then bringing so many unique inks to their shop. Besides their customer service & inherent kindness, I view them as one of the best resources for quality goods @ always reasonable prices.

I first saw this ink on one of the (maybe Rakuten?) shopping sites for ink. They offered the ink, as well as empty bottles & I remember being excited to add a bottle & some empty bottles to my cart. As often is the case, the site then disclaims that the Seller cannot ship the item to my address. I have never used a shipping service so I usually give up & think, "Oh well."

When, perhaps a year later I spied them @ Vanness, I recognised the bottle, remembered the ink & happily ordered a bottle.

This & several other purchases from Vanness have been one of the many reasons I remain grateful to them for their discovery & then bringing so many unique inks to their shop. Besides their customer service & inherent kindness, I view them as one of the best resources for quality goods @ always reasonable prices.

I am glad that you were able to find the ink from Vanness! I met Mike at the Colorado Pen Show a couple of years ago and he introduced me to Callifolio inks, and has kept them in stock since them. I think I have purchased most of the colors since then.

I think Kuretake brand is famous for their brushes. So cool that they also produce FP inks. And of course Vanness Pens is (IMHO) the best ink vendor in the US. The comprehensive ink selection and their diligence to make inks from all around the world available is amazing.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Okay, I think I want to see the purple before I buy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Okay, I think I want to see the purple before I buy.

You should! It might be right of Inky's alley!

Extremely interesting color! So dark it looks black, much darker than Salamander and more muddy than Doyou. Love the subtle sheen. Thank you for the review!

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png