RayTheron

Hi everyone, from Blacktown, on the western outskirts of Sydney. I'm originally from South Africa, and have only recently renewed my love affair with fountain pens. To date my tiny collection contains an antique Hifra that I used at school in the late 60s, a Parker Vector I acquired in the 90s after my Parker 51 was stolen, a Manuscript and a Lamy Safari clear. I have recently bought three Jinhoa pens -- an X450, X750 and a 911 (the latter is an amazing pen!). I also own a pen I cannot find any info on. It is a steel pen; the box says Made in Taiwan and it has Indigo inscribed on the lower end of the barrel, just above the section. The nib is German, it claims, and is inscribed "Iridium Tip", and is a medium.

I'm very happy to be part of this community, and look forward to learning a lot from all the experts!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RayTheron

• Pen Nut

• Newjelan

• ardene

Hi Ray - welcome to FPN - hope you enjoy your time here :) I think we have a long standing and interesting thread somewhere on the Forum, about the Vector - it's a very popular pen for both collectors and writers. Sorry to hear of the loss of your P51 - there are plenty around still and with a little patience bargains can be found.

The Melbourne Pen Show is on 25 November 2018 at 9.00 am at Malvern Town Hall (not far from city) if you can get to Melbourne.

Only 870 km (500+ miles) down the Hume Highway.

It is the only pen show in Oz and, while not as large as US shows, still has plenty of interest and lots of pens.

post-28018-0-25043600-1540081324_thumb.gif

The Iridium Point Germany seen on many fountain pens really doesn't mean much or that the nib is German. It has become a generic term and any original meaning (one claim is that the tipping originally came from Germany) has long been lost.

My Website

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to this friendly little corner of the universe from a fountain pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hi Ray - welcome to FPN - hope you enjoy your time here :) I think we have a long standing and interesting thread somewhere on the Forum, about the Vector - it's a very popular pen for both collectors and writers. Sorry to hear of the loss of your P51 - there are plenty around still and with a little patience bargains can be found.

Thanks, Paul! Yes, I have my eye on a few options on eBay :-)

The Melbourne Pen Show is on 25 November 2018 at 9.00 am at Malvern Town Hall (not far from city) if you can get to Melbourne.

Only 870 km (500+ miles) down the Hume Highway.

It is the only pen show in Oz and, while not as large as US shows, still has plenty of interest and lots of pens.

Glad to hear about it, and thanks for the info. Probably won't make it this time, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open!

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

Thank you from a former Capetonian! Well, I lived there in the seventies, then in Stellenbosch and later in Somerset West. My daughter is an advocate in the Supreme Court there.

Hi Ray ! Welcome to FPN Are there other Australian inks besides Robert Oster ?

Hi! Thank you. You could try the Van Dieman's Fountain Pen Inks from Tasmania. They are available from Jinhao Pens Australia (https://jinhaopensaustralia.com.au/) I haven't tried any of their ink yet, but the colour selection looks good.

Just a quick thank you to everyone who welcomed me so far; you are all very kind people and I am privileged to be part of this group.

Hi Ray ! Welcome to FPN Are there other Australian inks besides Robert Oster ?

There are also Blackstone Inks made in Australia, and they even have a Scents of Australia range.

Welcome Ray.

There are also Blackstone Inks made in Australia, and they even have a Scents of Australia range.

Welcome Ray.

Thanks for that info! And for the welcome! I will have a look at Blackstone inks, too.