Fake "mb" Heritage 1912S And R Et Ns On Ebay

jmccarty3

At the recent Pelikan Hubs gathering, a friend showed me a new Hero from China, with a safety and piston filling mechanism that worked just like a Montblanc Heritage 1912. It was branded as a Hero, and was not a Montblanc replica, but I was surprised that they had going to the trouble to copy this rather complicated mechanism. Now I see every day on eBay numerous "MB" replicas of the Heritage 1912 in black, red, steel, and possibly other colors. There are also many "MB" Rouge et Noir fakes available, even one with the matte hard rubber finish of the 1906 limited edition.

The vendors are selling these at prices so low that no serious collector would mistake them for the real thing, but there is nothing to stop anyone from trying to represent them as real Montblancs, which would get a much higher price from an unsuspecting bidder.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bass1193

• jmccarty3

• crescentfiller

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, the Hero is not using the same filling system. It is a converter. Nice pen though. Very heavy and quite well made, but I'd never confuse it with a Montblanc.

The Hero H718 is not sold as a knockoff Montblanc. They're clearly branded as a Hero product. The lowest they sell on evilBay is around $80, so insanely expensive by Chinese pen standards. I saved up and bought one a few months ago and it is an awesome pen with a nice semi-flex 10kt nib. The Montblanc that the H718 mimics is obviously better made with tighter tolerances, but the Hero is a joy to use and is awesome for the price.

The Hero H718 is not sold as a knockoff Montblanc. They're clearly branded as a Hero product. The lowest they sell on evilBay is around $80, so insanely expensive by Chinese pen standards. I saved up and bought one a few months ago and it is an awesome pen with a nice semi-flex 10kt nib. The Montblanc that the H718 mimics is obviously better made with tighter tolerances, but the Hero is a joy to use and is awesome for the price.

Yes, that's the one my friend showed me. It did have a 10k nib, and, as you say, the construction quality left a little to be desired, but it did have a retractable nib. I could have sworn the knob pulled out (after extending the nib) to operate the filling system, but I could be mistaken. This is definitely not the same pen as the "MB" fakes, which appear to have steel nibs. Photos of these pens do not show the top of the cap, so I don't know whether they have tried to imitate the Montblanc's snowcap.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

The pics I've seen show an H inside a 5 lobe kind of design, curves but not really a "snowcap" or even a plop.

The only Hero I've tried was the P51 type... hated it. A Sheaffer School Pen is a better value, imho.

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

The pics I've seen show an H inside a 5 lobe kind of design, curves but not really a "snowcap" or even a plop.

The only Hero I've tried was the P51 type... hated it. A Sheaffer School Pen is a better value, imho.

Bill is correct, it's Hero's logo in white enamel on a black dome on the finial. So, not as cool as the 1912, but pretty in its own way.

And also, you're correct on the way the mechanism works. When the knob is in, turning extends and retracts the nib, and pulling it out works the piston mechanism. And to those who say that this is only a captive converter, that is true, but so is the 1912. After all, piston converters are just small piston mechanisms.

I have both. The Hero is the poor man's version of the 1912. As an earlier post has mentioned, the build quality left quite a bit to be desired. But for $80, I think it's not too bad if you want a pen with a similar mechanism as the 1912.

I have seen pictures with the Hero taken apart. It is confirmed to has a converter inside. I can't find a similar picture for the 1912 to confirm whether it uses a converter or not. Maybe bass1193 has seen it.