Vintage Lamy Safari Alpine? With German Eagle Id?

Inksomnia

I have no clue what I just bought! It looks like Lamy Safari Alpine, but it has small German eagle logo on cap. And I have no idea, why there is Cross converter in the picture. Pen will arrive next week to me, so I can take better photos. I recognize that eagle, but I didn't find exact match. Price wasn't that bad (22 euros), and this is nice pair to my Pelikan m100 aka.stormtrooper.

post-124463-0-35766300-1540138068.jpg

post-124463-0-14959300-1540138259.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• 1nkulus

• Inksomnia

• inkstainedruth

I'm guessing that the Cross converter is because that's what the prior owner of the pen had or could get easily.

As for the eagle decal? No clue. Might be some sort of company or school logo (it wouldn't surprise me if Lamy made custom pens for someplace, the way Esterbrook made the old Bell Telephone "skunks"; and I have a stainless steel Parker Vector which has the imprint and weird little shield on the clip for some computer company).

Nice looking pen, though. The black clip and nib look sharp against the white of the barrel and cap (I'm really fond of non-chrome clips on Safaris because they look less like paperclips -- although the clips are extremely functional). Hmmm. Maybe Alpine White should go on my wish list, along with French Blue (although I'm not remotely willing to pay those exorbitant prices -- not for a Safari).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It's the small State seal of the Federal Republic of Germany if it has 6 feathers. Federal ministries and other federal authorities use this.

7 feathers would be the large seal. Both variants are only to be used under restriction and only by official institutions.

How it gets on this Safari... no idea.

Edited by Astronymus

Rolf Thiel is selling it for $100, so the OP got a great price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamy-Safari-old-color-Alpine-White-Weis-as-Fountain-Pen-with-black-clip-/151206792259

It is the old black/white combo probably given as a gift/memento.

Nice pen with a touch of uniqueness. :thumbup:

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

It's the small State seal of the Federal Republic of Germany if it has 6 feathers. Federal ministries and other federal authorities use this.

7 feathers would be the large seal. Both variants are only to be used under restriction and only by official institutions.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Rolf Thiel is selling it for $100, so the OP got a great price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamy-Safari-old-color-Alpine-White-Weis-as-Fountain-Pen-with-black-clip-/151206792259

It is the old black/white combo probably given as a gift/memento.

Nice pen with a touch of uniqueness. :thumbup:

It is similar like Alpine, but it has the german state seal, so techincally it isn't the same model.

I received pen today. It is super great shape. There was cartridge in pen, but no ink stains on section or any signs of wear. White was still nice and bright! Three things I noticed.

1. Nib has no markings, it is all black, so it is not from recent years.

2.End says: "Germany" So pen is made after 1990.

3. It has metal screw inside the cap.

State seal has six feathers, printing is very crisp, so it is made professionally, definitely not homemade or anything.

Could someone date this pen? also I heard that this seal came in use 1997.

Edit: funny note, I also received the cross converter :D

Edited by Inksomnia

It looked like the official seal on these photos.

The eagles you see on some flags for private use are not like the official coat of arms. They have to be altered. Same for depictions of the seals.

So, maybe this was a giveaway of a ministry. Like the Ministries of Commerce or Foreign Affair.

Could it have been some limited model for the Reunification of Germany?

Could be, I tried to google lamy limited editions, but I didn't find anything.

It looked like the official seal on these photos.

The eagles you see on some flags for private use are not like the official coat of arms. They have to be altered. Same for depictions of the seals.

So, maybe this was a giveaway of a ministry. Like the Ministries of Commerce or Foreign Affair.

Sorry, I just worded my previous message badly. It is indeed the offical seal. Lamy Safari feels, at least for me, pen for kids and student, so I find it odd to have the offical seal. It would in my opinion made more sense in fancier pens. And it is Lamy Alpine, I would expect something in german colors.

Pen still remains as mystery, I try to contact lamy. Hope they know. They seems to have pretty good knowledge about their previous models.

Could it have been some limited model for the Reunification of Germany?

Unlikely. The seal is for official use only. For a unification edition they would have used black-red-gold colors.

Could be, I tried to google lamy limited editions, but I didn't find anything.

Sorry, I just worded my previous message badly. It is indeed the offical seal. Lamy Safari feels, at least for me, pen for kids and student, so I find it odd to have the offical seal. It would in my opinion made more sense in fancier pens. And it is Lamy Alpine, I would expect something in german colors.

Pen still remains as mystery, I try to contact lamy. Hope they know. They seems to have pretty good knowledge about their previous models.

I can imagine a colored pen would have been considered too kitschy. So minimalistic white would have won.

Contacting Lamy was the next step I would have recommended. If they don't know, who does?

Do inquire if this was reunification related , & if correct keep that history with the pen. (Here too!).

Lamy has manufactured special runs of, as I recall 200??? however first time seeing this example.

That said, recently viewed another early body color Safari with a printed cap logo that raised a caution flag. Each part must fit Lamy timelines. Discovering less common examples is great fun. Being deceived is not.

Hopefully Lamy has & will share documentation on this one!

That is my assumption too, as mentioned earlier. Unique and collectable, nonetheless. :)

Engineer :

Right. I can see these lying on a table of each member of an international convention of some sort. Let's see if Lamy has an answer.

Right. I can see these lying on a table of each member of an international convention of some sort.

+1

The participant was probably not a FP user (sent a Cross converter and the pen seems unused) and decided to move it on.

A great outcome for the OP, both price and condition. ;)

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

• 3 years later...

I have spotted one of this pen in Turkey ( where I live ) the person told me its one of the gift pens of German President's office. I have no idea where he got that information. I am following up on this one. I may buy it sometime soon. Alpine white looks great, I have an Alpine white Multi Twin pen and this would be a good match with it.

Maybe it was part of the equipment of the Olympic team?

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.