Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Scripto's Pen Look In C1954? For Mom...

Urbangirl1989

My mom is 82, and I'm documenting her stories -- 200 pages and counting! She talked about using Scripto in high school, and I'd love to include an image of the style, but I can't find anything online, whether pen or a similar ink bottle. Maybe Scripto just made the ink, and not the slurpee pen. Does anyone have clarification and/or an image I could look at? This stuff is fascinating, and y'all have a marvelous forum here!

Here's what she said, recently, about high school, circa 1954.

We used to carry ink. They didn't have ballpoint pens, or maybe they did. We used to have to carry around a little bottle of ink – Scripto ink. You had a pen where you suck up the ink into it, and you had a little lever and it would suck in the ink. The bottle had a little glass pocket up at the top and you’d tilt the bottle so the ink would go into that little pocket and you open it up and you go slurp and then you close it up and you have ink in your ink pen, so we had to carry ink around.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Urbangirl1989

• carlos.q

• penwash

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a wonderful project you're undertaking!

Her description of the ink bottle is closer to the Sheaffer Skrip ink bottle, which does have the little "pocket" near the top where she'd put the ink to "slurp" it using her lever-filler pen.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Scripto cerca 1958:

fpn_1539402783__img_20181012_234727.jpg

fpn_1539402712__img_20181012_234704.jpg

fpn_1539402783__img_20181012_234727.jpg

Pen supplied by parochial school in 1958. Squeeze filler, rubber sac, fine steel nib. This pen is still a very good pen. Beats Chinese pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Urbangirl1989

Thank you all! Mom came by today and I showed her what y'all suggested.

Penwash was right about the Sheaffer Skrip ink bottle. I've pasted (hopefully correctly) the image she exactly remembers. And, she says they carried around the bottles in the boxes in their purses. I can't imagine doing that today.

http://216.117.187.161/pics/midnightmadness/071910/skrip_4oz_red.jpg

The pen that carlos.q linked to (below) is really close. Mom explained how it worked.

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Scripto-0061.jpg

Then I asked her what they used before this -- bird feathers?!! Close.. :)

Thank you for helping with Mom's book of memories!