Italic Nib Units For Delike And Some Moonman Pens!

truthpil

Calligraphy lovers rejoice!

Today Shanghai Jingdian started offering sets of five italic nib units that will screw into Delike pens and a few models of Moonman pens. These are currently in their Taobao store, but keep your eyes peeled for them to start showing up on eBay soon.

http://m.tb.cn/h.37htpcP?sm=9758e2

post-116153-0-98529900-1539315709_thumb.jpg

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• taike

• bobje

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the slot get wider as you get closer to the tip. Is that just an illusion?

It's funny that one of the images in the taobao page looks like a screenshot of gothic computer fonts and not actual writing. :unsure:

And a glass tip too. That's interesting. I wonder if it is just dip or works with the ink supply??

O1CN011xBzf7XsC2D8Y4J_!!81296406.jpg_400

Oh no! Before I hadn't bothered to read the Chinese, but I noticed something odd about the back of the nib units. Sure enough, all of these nib units are FOR DIPPING ONLY. That means that they will screw into all those various pens but they cannot take in ink from the back end, so you can only dip them or remove the nib and put it in a regular Delike feed.

Thanks for asking that question. Otherwise I would have been really upset when these came in the mail haha.

Very nice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

The italic nibs also are dip only?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

The italic nibs also are dip only?

Unfortunately yes, but the nibs can be pulled out and used with the original Delike or Moonman feed and collar that came with the pen you want to put it in.

Edited by TruthPil

• 1 month later...

I finally bought the complete set along with the glass dip nib option. For some odd reason, they chopped the nipple off the back of the feed so that these units can only be used like dib nibs. Thankfully, all the nibs can very easily be pulled from the sleeve and put it other pens that take #5 nibs. You could also use the same sleeve and just change to feed to a regular Delike feed. I haven't inked them up yet, but they all have significant space between the tines so seem to be wet writers.

The glass nib cannot be removed from the Delike nib unit, but is kind of cool because it screws into any Delike pen and is small enough that you can cap the pen without worry. It even fits in the little Delike Alpha without a problem, although it doesn't really make sense to have a pocket dip pen when you'd have to carry around ink for it anyway.

I tried to buy these (including the glass dip nib) on 1111 but the order was rejected by the overseas shipper as contraband. Major hassle backing the order through the taobao system. I knew about the restrictions on shipping ink but not glass nibs (I guess that's what it was). Turns out silicon grease is on the list too. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

This week I finally got around to trying these nibs. They are fantastic!! All are very wet writers with glassy smooth nibs. They are actually stubs with quite rounded corners, so not really italics.

Although they are #5 nibs, the shape of the nib limits them to certain pens. So far I've gotten them to fit in a Jinhao 500, Delike pens like Alpha or New Moon, any pen with the smaller Schmidt nib unit (Kaco Edge, Moonman M100, etc.), and pens that take the FPR 5.5 nibs (although they fit a little loosely). They do not fit in JoWo #5 nib units due to the nib shape at the back end.

These can't be beat as cheap and insanely smooth stubs!

TruthPil, what a terrific idea. You inspired me to swap some of these no. 5 stubs into various pens, and they work extremely well.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got these nibs into my hands. :D :D :D What pens work best for you?

I really liked it in the Jinhao 500 and Kaco Edge. Enjoy!

I've purchased both these nibs and the slightly more ornate italic nibs in the Jinhao 992. Both work well. The Jinhao 992 sells for about $1.50, (eBay USA link below) so you're basically buying the whole unit just for the nib and/or feed. While the Jinhao 992 italic nib fits the feed perfectly, and the feed keeps up with ink flow, the nib is sometimes just about a millimeter too long and strikes inside the Delike Alpha cap. The nib is long enough, though, that it can be shortened with a Dremel tool at the back end, or just clipped with diagonal cutters at the nib end, and re-ground in the method suggested in this Youtube video by Nathan Tardif. The more minimalistic italic nibs also work well, and don't have this cap-interior clearance issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/flat-Gothic-parallel-art-Flower-body-plastic-WordArt-Flat-Whisper-Fountain-Pen/192526049324

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Success! I've just tried the XF (0.9-1.0mm) and it fits perfectly into my Moonman M1 Brass and Wood.

O1CN011xBzf2hqfF4QiPn_!!81296406.jpg

Drill is to extract the nib alone from the collar it comes in and replace it into the collar/feed of the pen to use. Seems a shame that the vendor clips off the back of the feed/collar so there's nothing to connect with the converter. Otherwise, it'd be possible use these as screw-in replacements in the Delike system.

Anyway, it works! No tuning necessary. Wet, smooth and ready to go.  A great experience.

KeIJZKg.jpg

Couldn't get it to work in a Kaco Edge. Nib didn't play nicely with Schmidt collar and feed. At least for me! Can you share pictures of how you got it fixed up?

My first Edge cracked and I don't want to risk putting stress on my new one by messing with the nib, so I used the same Schmidt nib unit from my LiveInYou MiTu and installed the "M" nib (1.3mm stub). I must admit that getting the nib back into the collar required more pressure than with the original nib, but not so much as to damage anything. I wrapped the nib and feed in the rubber gripping material (pictured) and pushed it in until I couldn't get it to go any further. This combination writes so smoothly and perfectly that I'm probably never going to put back the meh boring Schmidt fine nib the pen came with. This is just a lovely smooth and wet nib!

Here are some pics:

fpn_1552095337__delike_italic_1.jpg

fpn_1552095870__delike_italic_2.jpg

fpn_1552095892__delike_italic_3.jpg