"bril" Ink From India ($3.3 For 1 Liter, Yes).

MarkHanks

Thought of creating a thread for Bril ink from India.

Perhaps the cheapest ink in the world at $0.3 for 60ml bottle; $3.2 for 1L.

Yes.

Official Website: http://www.brilindia.com/search/ink

I would rate 7/10 in almost all categories and a 10/10 in value,

if I were to give 8/10 to Pelikan Edelstein series.

Dye-based. Free flow. Just a little feathering on cheap paper.

Detailed review soon.

A few pics of my beloved bottle below.

One writing sample using Montblanc 144 Jungle Eyes, M.

Canon 5D Mark-II.

Canon 28-135mm.

post-145674-0-38280300-1539165188_thumb.jpg

post-145674-0-95664400-1539165200_thumb.jpg

post-145674-0-70398800-1539165215_thumb.jpg

post-145674-0-92618300-1539165309_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarkHanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• sansenri

• Aquaria

• MarkHanks

i have always wanted to try this brand of ink. too bad there isn't an easy way to get it outside of India.

same :( after paying typical postage it ain't cheap anymore

Certain places ink is so cheap... have been to places where Pelikan 4001 costs less than a Coke... Tbh is price really that crucial? how much ink can one (well "me") use anyway these days.

It's very easy to get from india.

Just email Bril. You can get one 60mL of every color they make (and a second bottle of one color) for under $30 shipped from india. $14 per 4 bottles. Yes, relatively expensive compared to inside India, but still super cheap out here in the US.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

no. no. no. no. no.

JUST. EMAIL. BRIL.

They'll sell you four bottles for 14 bucks, shipped. And you get seven colors to choose from.

And don't get the pink. It's too pale to read.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

no. no. no. no. no.

JUST. EMAIL. BRIL.

They'll sell you four bottles for 14 bucks, shipped. And you get seven colors to choose from.

And don't get the pink. It's too pale to read.

For some people, buying through ebay is the better option. Not everyone gets great deals going through the main company.

• 2 weeks later...

Why wouldn't they? I didn't get a "deal" , just a quote for shipping, how many bottles could fit in a box, and a price conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting, thank you.

The review of the royal blue is here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302252-bril-royal-blue/

Has anyone tried their purple?

here are some examples of writing for the different colours

http://althaven.com/blog/2016/3/6/review-bril-inks

the reviewer mentions a peculiar smell in some of the inks, anyone tried? (phenol?) thanks

Very interesting. You can get full bottles for what samples would be anywhere else. Being in Asia they have access to the chemical suppliers, I suppose, not just the re-re-re-re-re-exported and marked up things we have anywhere else.

interesting, thank you.

The review of the royal blue is here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302252-bril-royal-blue/

Has anyone tried their purple?

here are some examples of writing for the different colours

http://althaven.com/blog/2016/3/6/review-bril-inks

the reviewer mentions a peculiar smell in some of the inks, anyone tried? (phenol?) thanks

Some of the inks have a strong, strong smell of those throat numbing sprays. I think it's phenols. The only one that was almost caustic in odor was Bril Red.

Purple is fine. it's a good color, medium saturation, medium shading.

• 11 months later...

It's very easy to get from india.

Just email Bril. You can get one 60mL of every color they make (and a second bottle of one color) for under $30 shipped from india. $14 per 4 bottles. Yes, relatively expensive compared to inside India, but still super cheap out here in the US.

Hi, I am reading your post today. Thanks for this, I sent him an email today, let's see if they still can ship to USA. I will keep you posted.

Javier

Hi, I am reading your post today. Thanks for this, I sent him an email today, let's see if they still can ship to USA. I will keep you posted.

Let us know, they got back to me in a reasonable timeframe and seemed to know exactly what was needed. Buying directly from them was zero hassle.

I still think the inks are a good deal. Just avoid red (unless you like the smell of throat analgesic spray) and pink (too illegible unless you want to do art with it)

• 9 months later...

Buying directly from them was zero hassle.

I sent them a mail two days ago and received a compehensive answer the next day.

One bottle of ink costs 3 $ outside the country. I had added fountain pens and the charity stationery kit to get to 500 IRN which is the minimum amount they ask for on their website which is for orders from inside India. 500 IRN is 6.76 $. I had three fountain pens for 40 IRN each in my cart and two for 20 IRN each and three of the stationery kits for children in need for 99 IRN. These items together should cost 60 $. They said ground post from India to Germany would be 50 $. In the end, the bill was 116 $.

I think it's okay to ask 3 $ for a bottle of ink that costs 0.34 $ inside India, but it's not okay to ask 50 $ for shipment and to extravagantly raise not only the price of the fountain pens but also of the charity items. I thought they really don't want any hassle with customers from overseas and therefore declined to buy from them.

Should I ever get to India, I'll not only stock up on ebonite pens, but also on Bril ink, but I won't buy from them from home, nor will I pay in US dollars.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Well, right now India Post is not shipping overseas, so they must need to send via courier, a more expensive proposition. Once India Post gets going again, shipping might be a lot less expensive.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

• 7 months later...