Diamine Oxblood

A Smug Dill

Another quickie ink review, on one type of paper only, while I'm testing my (Extra) Fine-nibbed pens and trying to figure out what I want to do with my full ink reviews...

fpn_1539146304__diamine_oxblood_on_rhodi

Flow: Well/'wet' enough, such that writing produced with the Platinum DP-1000AN with EF nib does not appear dry, and the differences in colour intensity from the various EF nibs I used are not as pronounced as with other inks.

Feathering: Effectively none on the Rhodia paper I used, even though the nib on the Sailor 11-0073-120 desk pen is so rough it tore through the coating on the surface of the paper, and got some fibres caught up between the tines a few times:

fpn_1539146418__diamine_oxblood_on_rhodi

Bleedthrough: Effectively none on the Rhodia paper I used.

Drying time: Quick. After 10 seconds, smearing from rubbing with a dry fingertip was negligible.

Water resistance: Not much.

Shading: Not a whole lot from EF nibs, which is another testament to the ink being 'wet'.

fpn_1539146702__diamine_oxblood_on_rhodi

Sheen: There is a much darker outline visible when excess ink dries on the page, but not so different in hue than the ink itself that I'd call it sheen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• lapis

• Tas

• Jan2016

I just went back and re-read this post of mine in another thread on FPN.

It's possible to get more pronounced shading from this ink with a 'fine'/narrow nib, but it probably takes something with more of an edge or 'flat foot' in spite of being narrow in width.

Shading from a broader nib, while I'm testing the Pilot #5 Music (MS) nib:

fpn_1539151935__diamine_oxblood_on_rhodi

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Nice review, nice ink... especially in the Pilot #5 Music (MS) it looks great!!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

regret I don't write, but did buy a bottle some year or so back, and would agree with the foregoing eulogies. It's a colour/shade that carries a hint of antiquity, snobbery, and real classiness. If I was going to put pen to paper, then this might be the one. :)

Great review!!

A top binge colour, I will use it for 3 months and then shelve it for a few years and miss it repeat the cycle.

I find it very satisfying. it's not very "blood" like. I'd say noodlers antietam really resembles dried blood best. But it is a perfect facsimile of comic book blood. I love this color so much, was the first large bottle of diamine I ever bought.

I concur that it REALLY loves stub nibs.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

"quickie" eh . . . my word :o Thank you.

OH YEAH DITTO

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 year later...

Lovely review.... I finally managed to appreciate the color with the music nib.... I'm sure you can enjoy it even more with a a vintage flex, that writes fine and then if need be can flex to broad, to enjoy the shading :)