Lamy Scala Popular?

LightYagami

Hi all,

I'm curious about where Lamy Scala stands in the grand scheme of Lamy pens in terms of popularity. I know it's not as popular as the 2000 or Safari, but really, how popular or unpopular is it? And what about the one in pianoblack with gold nib?

Feel free to express your views.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Time-Traveller

• Calabria

• LightYagami

There are a few Lamys I really don't get - logo, linea, st, and the scala. They look like they want to be cp1s, but are afraid of the minimal look, so have updated but somehow cheap-looking frills. So, one vote for not popular.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have one - the Glacier with the gold nib, and it's a great writer. I much prefer it to the Studio or lower models however I think it suffers due to positioning. Standard it is a steel nibbed pen which is about 20% more expensive than the Studio, more so than the Logo/Linea/ST etc, with the result it's costed out. Same with the gold nib. A special edition Studio with a gold nib will struggle as it's a similar price to a 2k, but a gold nibbed Scala ... - people are going to get the 2k instead. Comfort and looks wise I think it is far superior to those below it, but that's personal preferences.

That cricket sound might be a good proxy for popularity... It's not a bad looking pen though.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I bought one at a close out sale years ago. It's a good pen. Visually I prefer it to the Studio. Actually I wonder if you can swap the studio and Scala sections....

I wouldn't have bought it at full price because of the metal section. That's why I hardly use it. Shame really as it is a good writer.

And it is decidedly fatter than the CP1

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I prefer the Scala to Studio. OTOH, Logo is used for testing inks.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I don't like the chrome section, but all in all it's a nice and elegant pen. And a typical Lamy design IMO. But design wise, nothing beats the L2K.

I’m a pretty big Lamy fan and find something to like about almost all their pens but I never warmed to the Scala and don’t own one. So there’s one data point. But they continue to release different versions so they must be selling well enough to justify that.

Second only to the Studio, the Scala’s design really attracted me to the LAMY brand. Brian Goulet once remarked in a video that he decided not to carry the Scala because he considered it too expensive for what you get, and I tend to agree with that. Still, I do love the confident minimalism of its flat-capped, near-cylindrical design, and the rectangular profile of the clip, and I have collected every finish. I consider the blue-black, with its subtly sparkling finish, the most attractive of the bunch.

The rocker hinge of the clip is a tad wobbly for my taste – I do wish that hinge were a bit tighter.

Still, I do love the confident minimalism of its flat-capped, near-cylindrical design, and the rectangular profile of the clip, and I have collected every finish. I consider the blue-black, with its subtly sparkling finish, the most attractive of the bunch.

The rocker hinge of the clip is a tad wobbly for my taste – I do wish that hinge were a bit tighter.

+1

I, sadly, don't have all the finishes.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 3 months later...

I prefer the Scala much more than the studio, although i think the studio looks a little bit prettier.

However, the grip section is much more comfortable to me, the weight and the "click" of the cap is more satisfying and the clip does not destroy the coating.

Edited by Richi

• 2 months later...

I just got a Scala in piano black with a 14k M nib. Right out of the box, it writes beautifully! It could turn into my favorite writer.

BUT...

The cap on the pen is very loose. It snaps closed nicely, but there is a lot of axial play, to the point where a sliver of the chrome section is exposed. The cap also spins freely around the section under its own weight.

Is this something that I can send for warrantee repair? (i.e. would they replace the cap or maybe just the inner cap, or would I be told that this is within tolerance?) And if I send it in for repair, can I send it without a nib? I would hate for anything to happen to it, given how great it writes.

(Longtime reader, first time poster)

You could talk to the retailer from whom you bought it or you could send it to Lamy with a note explaining you don't want the nib changed.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

• 1 month later...

Among the Lamys I have the Logo, 2000, Studio and Scala.

The 2000 is in a class by itself, while the other three all have the same nibs (Z50). The Scala (mine is the titanium model) is clearly the heaviest and most solid, and I like it that the threads are metal (unlike the Studio, and more sturdy than the Logo). Though I like this solid feel of the Scala, I don't use it all that much because of the combination of heaviness (I've discovered that I prefer lighter pens) and the metal section, which can become a bit slippery after writing a while. Still I prefer the Scala to the other Z50 pens.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

• 2 weeks later...

Still I prefer the Scala to the other Z50 pens.

+1

OTOH, it is the heft and metal section that I enjoy.

It is a lovely pen and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Engineer :

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2019 at 4:20 PM, 1nkulus said:

+1

OTOH, it is the heft and metal section that I enjoy.

It is a lovely pen and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Almost 2 years down the road, I can hapily inform you that your hope has materialized. I'm appreciating it more and more.

In current use: Cleo Skribent Classic, Waterman Expert, Diplomat Excellence, Pineider Avatar, Sheaffer Targa (the good old Sheaffer, not one Made in China)

• 4 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, Time-Traveller said:

Almost 2 years down the road, I can hapily inform you that your hope has materialized. I'm appreciating it more and more.

I am pleased it has continued to grow on you and I wish you many more reams of happiness.  :thumbup:

My preference is still towards Scala over Studio.

Engineer :