Rotring600user

I recently received the brown (aka Renaissance Red) M100 from a seller on eBay, and it cost about 30 USD (delivered) there...

Short version: I would say that it's a nice pen for the price, and quite a capable 'daily carry' if you're at work and don't want to risk a more expensive pen.

The nib seems to be pretty bullet proof... good flow and no troubles restarting after a few days without use. Of course F and EF nibs aren't everyone's cup of tea, but if you occasionally have to use cheap paper then I find anything heavier just bleeds through.

One thing - someone earlier in this thread thought that it was a bit longer than the M2. It is, but that's only the cap that's longer. The actual part that you hold to write with is really no longer. It may feel a bit different to hold though because the back end of the section is metal, rather than acrylic like it is on the M2, so the weight distribution is a bit different.

The "resin" itself is a really nice colour with good depth to it. If anyone is interested in a 'real life' pic of one instead of one of the promotional pictures, I can add one later.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• DasKaltblut

• Mech-for-i

• JollyCynic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, if the cap is a little crooked when posted you could argue that it still post securely in the same way you could argue that the car that does not want to drive straight is a car that is driving.

But it is stretching it a bit.

Think of it more as a car with good alignment but the steering wheel isn't 100% on center while the car drives straight.

I have a land rover, this is a fact of life.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Think of it more as a car with good alignment but the steering wheel isn't 100% on center while the car drives straight.

My biggest worry posting the pen is that I'll crack the cap. That makes me reluctant to use much force to get it firmly in place. No idea if my concerns are overblown but really don't want to find out the hard way.

This is one of the few times I'm glad to have small hands. The M100 feels absolutely perfect in my hand unposted, so I don't have to worry about the posting issues. Small-handed users, rejoice! :D

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I hear you. I understand you. I have been there. But I’m not going back.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• 5 weeks later...

dFZ4oH0.jpg
was using my moonman today and found this photo on Taobao reviews, claiming that he uses FH452 schmidt nib unit and it even caps with this nib, if my translation was correct ofc, isn't this like #6 nib? D: and what nibs this unit actually fits, like jowo #6 maybe? I have no jowo or this nib unit and just wondering for the future, because didn't seen anywhere someone claiming that this pen can be converted into #6 one. or I am wrong and this is not #6?

Edited by Lomarion

was using my moonman today and found this photo on Taobao reviews, claiming that he uses FH452 schmidt nib unit and it even caps with this nib, if my translation was correct ofc, isn't this like #6 nib? D: and what nibs this unit actually fits, like jowo #6 maybe? I have no jowo or this nib unit and just wondering for the future, because didn't seen anywhere someone claiming that this pen can be converted into #6 one. or I am wrong and this is not #6?

I thought they came with #5 nibs..... So, yeah!!.. I really would love to know if a #6 fits this model.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

If I pull up a picture of a FH452 nib unit and pull my normal Schmidt no.5 nib unit from my Moonman M100, it doesn't look promising. The sides of the M100's unit are straight from the base to the lip. The FH452 has a gold ring that protrudes. The sides of the M100's unit aren't more than about half a millimetre wider than the screw threads at the base. The FH452 looks to be more than twice that, and starts lower. In general, the whole FH452 unit looks fatter, but that could just be from looking at a 2d image with no size reference.

I think this person re-bored and re-tapped his section. However, it's apparently the same unit as the Retro 51, so if someone has both to try a swap, that'd be awesome. FWIW, I haven't seen anybody say that it is a no.6 nib, only that it's equivalent based on its wingspan in Schmidt's literature.

Edited by JollyCynic

I have the Moonman M100 and a Retro 51 nand there is no way at all that the #6 sized nib unit would fit into the M100. I don’t think you could drill out the M100 section enough to screw in the Retro 51 unit. It isn’t thick enough

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I tried the same thing. The good news is the Retro 51 section will just screw in the barrel and it also caps without damaging the nib.

wow, so it actually works without problems :o
thank you for your tests and info guys! I wasn't losing hope for the good, because on photo we can clearly see gold band from FH452 unit showing through acrylic ><
Still would be cool to see what other nibs we can fit into it, and hope to see more photos of your modifications :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine finally came last night. My first impressions are that I like it, but I like the PenBBS 308 more. The nib I have in the M100 is smoother than the average nib I have on PenBBS pens, but not as smooth as the smoothest. I suspect the nibs may be more consistent. I like the Schmidt converter (would have preferred a K5) and that it takes standard international cartridges. And while it's as pretty as PenBBS pens, the darker colours make it feel more professional. So it has some clear advantages.

The no.5 nib looks silly, makes the pen a centimetre shorter than the 308, makes the section significantly slimmer, leading to a noticeable and annoying step-down (and I never notice step-downs), and the metal cartridge collar means it can't be eyedroppered. Also, there are some marks near the clip insert that make me nervous to actually use the clip. The nib is also very noisy, like writing with a pencil. Nobody else has mentioned it, so it may just be mine. I'll spend some time trying to get it wetter later. Somebody else mentioned that the cap cross-threads easily, which I can corroborate.

As I said, I like it, but I won't be getting a second. If they'd made the decision to go with a no.6 nib (which would have meant a wider section), and gone with machining the cartridge collar into the acrylic, it'd be another story entirely.

I got mine before Xmas on Aliexpress.

Aliexpress sellers are offering the Moonman M100 at prices ranging between $41 and $45 (but one even up to $58...)

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190217131043&SearchText=moonman+m100

Etsy sells it at $36.69

https://www.etsy.com/listing/649100203/moonman-m100-acrylic-fountain-pen

I bough mine as "KICUTE M100 / PENBBS Business Fountain Pen Acrylic Iridium Fine Nib Gift Box" and got the same pen in the Moonman box with the Schmidt nib, for $25 from HONG KONG YI HUI LIMITED.

Here is a seller currently selling at same price

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KICUTE-M100-PENBBS-Acrylic-Fountain-Pen-Iridium-Fine-Nib-Converter-Pens-Luxury-Gift-Chic-Wedding-Signing/32950566445.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.26.998914d0318RrL&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9_10065_10068_319_317_10696_10084_453_10083_454_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_537_10302_536_10902_10843_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=406d48df-5de1-4f24-9047-22db5f9504d3-3&algo_pvid=406d48df-5de1-4f24-9047-22db5f9504d3&transAbTest=ae803_4

My purchase details mentions that what I bought is

KICUTE M100 / PENBBS Acrylic Fountain Pen Iridium Fine Nib Converter Pens Luxury Gift Chic Wedding Signing Pen :D With Box
The pen looks very nice, that's not to be understated (the Acrylic is imported according to the shop), my version is blue/red/orange (Art Red, according to Etsy), I was really attracted by this finish.
I appreciate the big advances in Chinese pen making, however, the issues mentioned by JollyCinic are all there, plus others.
The worst is cross-threading, very bad on mine and very annoying, it takes me two to three attempts to close it every time...
The pen is smallish, 14.3 cm capped, 12.2 cm uncapped, which is not too bad, usable, interesting as a carry pen, but the section is slightly too narrow to be very comfortable. The step down is not so pronounced but rather annoying too.
I appreciate the metal threading which holds the converter and the barrel screws on, this is the biggest advance I can see on a Chinese pen, at last the threading is proper and not gritty. Pity for the faulty threading on the cap.
I don't really mind too much the #5 nib, if only it would write well. It's smooth enough, but starved on the right to left stroke...which is really unusual.
I will have to take a look at it more closely.
Presumably any #5 Schmidt (and probably also Jowo or Bock) will fit, and could be the solution If I can't fix the current nib.
I was curious to try this pen so I don't mind too much the $25 spent, but I would be much happier if it did not have this bad cross-threading issue, as this cannot be cured.

Can someone post pictures the Schmidt FH-452 nib assembly on the Moonman M100?

I would like to see how it looks on the Moonman M-100 and to make sure I order to right one.

• 4 weeks later...

here is the nasty behaviour of my nib on this pen, so far I have not figured out how to remedy, it's an odd flaw

anyone any suggestion as to what may cause this? I have looked at the nib but cannot see any evident defect

(I am surprised this happens to a German nib on a Chinese pen...)

fpn_1553115294__img_1875.jpg

It seems that you have dry upstrokes and left strokes.

Might be caused by the tines needing to be spread a little bit.

here is the nasty behaviour of my nib on this pen, so far I have not figured out how to remedy, it's an odd flaw

anyone any suggestion as to what may cause this? I have looked at the nib but cannot see any evident defect

(I am surprised this happens to a German nib on a Chinese pen...)

It seems like it only writes well when you apply pressure so I think you can try to spread the tines. Just grab the shoulder and pull gently. It's actually pretty common for Bock/Jowo/Schmidt nibs. Also Pilot nibs from oversea retailers. These days I almost feel like adjusting the flow is a must-have skill for FP users.