Rotring600user

I was at first really excited to see this pen go live on Taobao because the material is just gorgeous, but since I already have the LiY MiTu, I have no need for another Schmidt fine nib and the M100 so far only comes with a fine nib. If these manufacturers were going to use a German nib unit anyway, I wish they'd at least go with JoWo so that there is an option to get replacement B, 1.1, and 1.5 stub nibs. Schmidt's nib selection is far too limiting for those of us who like to see our inks glistening on the page and shading all over the place. My guess is that Schmidt has some special deal going with Chinese vendors that makes them the cheapest to use. These days more and more Chinese pens are coming out with Schmidt nibs on them.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• DasKaltblut

• Mech-for-i

• JollyCynic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was at first really excited to see this pen go live on Taobao because the material is just gorgeous, but since I already have the LiY MiTu, I have no need for another Schmidt fine nib and the M100 so far only comes with a fine nib. If these manufacturers were going to use a German nib unit anyway, I wish they'd at least go with JoWo so that there is an option to get replacement B, 1.1, and 1.5 stub nibs. Schmidt's nib selection is far too limiting for those of us who like to see our inks glistening on the page and shading all over the place. My guess is that Schmidt has some special deal going with Chinese vendors that makes them the cheapest to use. These days more and more Chinese pens are coming out with Schmidt nibs on them.

same mentality and more here, its why these days I am less inclined to order some of these boutique / custom pen whether dear or not so dear. In reality they are no more than beautiful crafted barrel / cap / section to hold a none too generic Schmidt / Jowo / Bock nib , even the best of material and handwork did not hide the fac that its still just a generic pen. I value more these days pen that are made with the Mfr's own.

Can this nib be replaced easily by another Schmidt nib ?

Absolutely, you just screw another Schmidt nib in. My problem is that Schmidt has a rather limited selection of nib sizes and nibmeisters who do special grinds use Bock or JoWo nibs instead.

Is that really a Moonman though? Strange they would totally redesign an already popular type with the exact same name

Isn't this an SKB, not a moonman? I could have sworn these are the SKB plumix clones that comes in the lamy-clone boxes.

My pen is smaller than yours. Now get off my lawn.

Isn't this an SKB, not a moonman? I could have sworn these are the SKB plumix clones that comes in the lamy-clone boxes.

This could be. In which case the Ebay sellers are comitting some serious false advertising.

Yep, it's an skb alright.

Knew something was off about that Moonman and the seller should know better.

As for the M100, if there are early buyers please share your experience on this pen

Hi can you share link where we can buy these pens on taobao

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Hi can you share link where we can buy these pens on Taobao

Here is the Moonman M100 link:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.w5003-18377030430.1.607171d4LxuJyw&id=578745145633&scene=taobao_shop

The shop is Shanghai Jingdian which is the owner of Moonman.

I tend to get all my Moonman, Delike, and Penbbs pens from them because they are quite reliable.

https://sh188.taobao.com/shop/view_shop.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.5.43bd7e1bi3DDW9&user_number_id=81296406

Hmm ... the S1 is in profile more akin to the LIY Mitu , where the M100 is fatter and more a bulged / tapered profile than a straight rod with pointy end. But in the end I find them rather lacking ... but then these days many boutique pens are like that, no more than yet another pen barrel + cap + section to hold a somewhat generic Scmidt / Jowo / Bock unit ... I do not see much in the styling or industrial design, and the Mfr do not give us something of their own. Instead I think I would be more inclined to get the PenBBS or the Delike / Moonman with their own nib / nib units and the price had been hiked to a bracket where I can gone off and get something else more interesting.

It seems like the S1 nib is made by Moonman, having the Moonman logo and all. It's probably not a Schmidt like on the M100, which is probably one big reason why the S1 costs half as much.

O1CN011xBzf3X6urpAh4H_!!81296406.jpg

O1CN011xBzf2wEVmNTVxW_!!81296406.jpg

Absolutely, you just screw another Schmidt nib in. My problem is that Schmidt has a rather limited selection of nib sizes and nibmeisters who do special grinds use Bock or JoWo nibs instead.

Thank you TruthPil for this valuable information.

According to an earlier post the M100 is made of "celluloid nitrate." I only see mention of acrylic however in this Taobao listing (admittedly I can only read the English text). https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.w5003-18377030430.1.607171d4LxuJyw&id=578745145633&scene=taobao_shop An eBay seller simply describes it as "resin." Is there definitive information on the material?

I'd like to know what the M100 is really made of so I can decide whether to add this pen to my collection or pass.

Edited by analogwriter

I think my prior post might be wrong, now that the distributor finalize and update their posting page, they stipulate now on the posting page " Acrylic Resin " .. so no its not Celluloid ..

I think my prior post might be wrong, now that the distributor finalize and update their posting page, they stipulate now on the posting page " Acrylic Resin " .. so no its not Celluloid ..

I'll do a smell test when mine comes :D

Bobby now selling the M100 for $33.98 USD, Item 232959200398. I got the brown version. Reading that some think this is too much for a Chinese pen. What are the thoughts on the Estie which is made in China and considerably more than the M100. When they import nibs from Germany and I believe the celluloid nitrate is also imported, maybe Taiwan, the price will be more than typical. I have a LIY which is also in the high range, $50, and like it a lot. As much as my Edison & F-C's.

Bobby now selling the M100 for $33.98 USD, Item 232959200398. I got the brown version. Reading that some think this is too much for a Chinese pen. What are the thoughts on the Estie which is made in China and considerably more than the M100. When they import nibs from Germany and I believe the celluloid nitrate is also imported, maybe Taiwan, the price will be more than typical. I have a LIY which is also in the high range, $50, and like it a lot. As much as my Edison & F-C's.

$30-$45 for a well made Chinese pen = no problem.

$57 which is where the LIY Mitu hangs out = way too much for a cartridge converter Schmidt nib.

$87 for the LIY Shisan = Highway Robbery

Estie = you are paying for the brand and the nib adapter. To some this is worth it. For me, once you get past $150 I'm not interested in steel nibs.

Edited by DasKaltblut

$57 which is where the LIY Mitu hangs out = way too much for a cartridge converter Schmidt nib.

Estie = you are paying for the brand and the nib adapter. To some this is worth it. For me, once you get past $150 I'm not interested in steel nibs.

can't agree more , especially with the last one, in any case I had way too many of these generic Schmidt nib unit equipped C/C pen already

I wholeheartedly agree on all points!

Given the price point I think the M100 and S1 are going to slaughter sales of the LiY MiTu on the foreign market.

However, in China the M100 and MiTu are almost the same price so I don't think it will change things much.