Sailor 1911 Defect?

DasKaltblut

I just recieved my Sailor 1911 Standard Stormy Seas, but I'm wondering if the section is defective. There are molding lines on either side of the nib, and although the right one is somewhat sanded and polished, I can still feel it, especially when dragging a fingernail across. However, on the left side, the line looks like it wasn't sanded and polished at all, and is quite obvious to the touch and uncomfortable, much more so than the right. Did I get a lemon that slipped through? The raised line is right where I would place my thumb when holding the pen :( This is my first 1911 so I don't know what to think. My Pro gear slims certainly do not have rough lines like this on the section.

Left side:

fpn_1538606418__sailor1911_1.jpg

Right side:

fpn_1538606432__sailor_1911_2.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DasKaltblut

• jar

• mke

• challer61

Top Posters In This Topic

Never seen this in any of my Sailors. This looks defective.

Contact your seller and get it changed.

I've seen molding lines on the section like the one you have pictures on some Sailors I've come across in the past: such as a black 1911 standard, pro gear slim mini, and a shop edition of a Realo. Never on a 1911 large, pro gear, or KOP yet.

Never seen this in any of my Sailors. This looks defective.

Contact your seller and get it changed.

Thanks - I wrote to the seller and they are going to do an exchange. Hopefully the next pen will be finished correctly!

It may be much less hassle to polish it out yourself. Parting lines are a fact of life, although this one is more than I would accept from my mold. They need a toll rework.

It may be much less hassle to polish it out yourself. Parting lines are a fact of life, although this one is more than I would accept from my mold. They need a toll rework.

It's really raised a lot. It would need quite a bit of sanding and I don't have the equipment to then polish it smooth. Nor should I have to!

I could forgive such poor finish in a cheap eyedropper pen. NOT at the price point this pen sits at.

I have had very good experiences with Sailor's customer service. I had to mail a pen in last year, which they ended up sending to Japan for repair. It is the pen I now use most often. If your pen is defective, I believe Sailor will remedy the situation.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

If it bothers you then address it but calling it a defect is a little silly. Such artifacts happen. If you politely check with the seller it's likely they will try to make you happy but it most certainly is not a defect.

My Website

If it bothers you then address it but calling it a defect is a little silly. Such artifacts happen. If you politely check with the seller it's likely they will try to make you happy but it most certainly is not a defect.

Definition of defect = a shortcoming, imperfection, or lack. This pen is defective.

I noted above that the seller is replacing it. And a molding line that is scratchy and raised and uncomfortable right where you hold the pen is most certainly a defect. That the other side is smooth tells me the company is capable of doing this correctly. It isn't just a little raised, it is a LOT. It shouldn't be there in a $200+ pen.

Edited by DasKaltblut

Definition of defect = a shortcoming, imperfection, or lack. This pen is defective.

I noted above that the seller is replacing it. And a molding line that is scratchy and raised and uncomfortable right where you hold the pen is most certainly a defect. That the other side is smooth tells me the company is capable of doing this correctly. It isn't just a little raised, it is a LOT. It shouldn't be there in a $200+ pen.

You are of course welcome to hold that opinion. I hope the next pen satisfies you. But I stand by my position and in fact know it is not all that uncommon. I have a Pilot 845, a pen that is considerably more expensive than the little Sailor 1911 that also shows the mold lines on the section. I had a Pilot 845 that did not show the mold lines and in fact posted a review of that pen, but sold it since it did not satisfy me. I would not and did not cal either pen defective.

Playing the definition game is great fun for little kids but we should all grow up eventually.

Edited by jar

My Website

Of course you shouldn't have to. My point was, sometimes the cost of being right is too high. The problem is solvable in five minutes. I have Sailors and have not experienced this. But on cheap pens I regularly polish out defects. This is a tooling problem at Sailor. The mold needs rework or they have a station that debuts the parting line and then polishes it out. There is a vendor on Amazon that sells pen polishing pads. Good to have around if you collect older pens.

You are of course welcome to hold that opinion. I hope the next pen satisfies you. But I stand by my position and in fact know it is not all that uncommon. I have a Pilot 845, a pen that is considerably more expensive than the little Sailor 1911 that also shows the mold lines on the section. I had a Pilot 845 that did not show the mold lines and in fact posted a review of that pen, but sold it since it did not satisfy me. I would not and did not cal either pen defective.

Playing the definition game is great fun for little kids but we should all grow up eventually.

It's a matter of definition, but I would not call this a defect. In my book defect is broken, not functioning proper.

This pen is neither broken, nor not functioning.

But it certainly is unfinished and poor quality control.

If you are near the seller you should return it and ask for a better finished one.

But if returning it is difficult, it might be a better option to polish it yourself.

As Jar mentions, you will see such lines often. The matte finish Lamy Safaris will show such lines, but not so prominent as this.

I hope the replacement you are apparently getting will be satisfactory.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The Oxford Dictionaries say a defect is "A shortcoming, imperfection, or lack."

Merriam Webster says

": a problem or fault that makes someone or something not perfect: such as

a : a physical problem that causes something to be less valuable, effective, healthy, etc.

b : something that causes weakness or failure"

What he showed is (according to all dictionaries which I checked) clearly a defect.

This is not a Chinese 2 dollar pen where you could accept it. No Japanese would ever buy such a pen from Sailor*. And they wouldn't dare trying to sell it in Japan. So we should accept the same standards for customers abroad.

* exception: with a HUGE reduction in price

Edited by mke

The Oxford Dictionaries say a defect is "A shortcoming, imperfection, or lack."

Merriam Webster says

": a problem or fault that makes someone or something not perfect: such as

a : a physical problem that causes something to be less valuable, effective, healthy, etc.

b : something that causes weakness or failure"

What he showed is (according to all dictionaries which I checked) clearly a defect.

This is not a Chinese 2 dollar pen where you could accept it. No Japanese would ever buy such a pen from Sailor*. And they wouldn't dare trying to sell it in Japan. So we should accept the same standards for customers abroad.

* exception: with a HUGE reduction in price

I love you dude.