Goulet Pens Quiz

essayfaire

I think the quiz is designed to generate your typical clothing style, and then match a brand of pens to that. Hence "Trendy" dressers get Platinum; "classic/professional" dress leads to Pilot; "Outdoorsy" leads to Karas Kustom, "Preppy" to Edison, and "Alternative" to Retro 51.

I got a few more results:

Artistic/ Bohemian: Noodler's.

Casual: Kaweco

Vintage: Opus 88

As there are nine responses to each question, I'd guess there's probably a ninth style of dress as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd guess there's probably a ninth style of dress as well.

Skimpy?

Yes, you were right.

Question
Answer selected
Brand suggestion
Wardrobe style
How often do you refresh your wardrobe?To get the newest prints or colors of my favourite styles.
Choose a shoe:Comfortable, well-made, versatile.
Choose an animal:Horse - elegant, powerful, capable. Always in style.
Which Instagram account would you most likely follow?R.E.I.
Which activity best describes your free time?Gaming, in any sense of the word.
Choose a transportation method:My own two feet.
When we say hat, you think:Blocker of Rays, Shielder of Ears.
Which of the following most closely resembles your musical taste?Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
What is your ideal travel destination?NantucketEdisonPreppy
IcelandKaras KustomsOutdoorsy
Route 66Opus 88Vintage
LondonRetro 51Alternative
HonoluluKawecoCasual
TokyoPlatinumTrendy
VenicePilotClassic / Professional
MoroccoNoodler'sArtistic / Bohemian
SydneyLamyActive
Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I scored “Pilot”, of which I have several and love. It specifically mentioned the E95s, which I also have. Oh dear... not surprised

• 2 months later...

What the hack.....? Not even dipped, so to say. Retro 51? Rollerballs?

I'm a fountain pen girl.

This is it

Classic!

Is that an M405 Stresemann? I hear you, there. Couldn't wait for the Anthracite to come out in a smaller size from the time they first issued the M805 a couple of years ago.... :puddle: And I absolutely love mine.

Too many companies make the assumption that "Oh, you're a girl -- so you want 'pretty', right?" I had that issue with Pilot. They make the Vanishing Points in all these really awesome colors -- but that's too heavy a pen for me. They make the Decimo -- a perfect size pen for my hand -- in a lot fewer colors, and up until last spring only sold the "girly" colors in the US. Well, I don't WANT "girly". I want classy. And what I wanted was the grey -- which isn't sold in the US. So I ended up having to bypass Pilot USA and deal directly with Japanese sellers. Pilot USA's loss -- I had even contacted them saying "Why don't you sell the grey (and the Dark Blue, which would have been my second choice) in the US" and got told "It's a marketing decision...." Well Pilot's Marketing Department has their collective heads up their collective butts, and made me think of the old YouTube link someone posted a few years ago: it was an old ad from IIRC the 1960s for Sheaffer PFMs and said "Buy your husband a PFM for Christmas!" Totally sexist. They showed the fill system in the ad, and just made me WANT a Snorkel (PFMs being a bit too heavy for me), because the fill system is cool.... These companies don't seem to understand that this is now the 21st century. If I want a "girly" pen I'll buy a "girly" pen. But I want the option of being able to buy a NOT "girly" color -- and to deny me that option is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Is that an M405 Stresemann? I hear you, there. Couldn't wait for the Anthracite to come out in a smaller size from the time they first issued the M805 a couple of years ago.... :puddle: And I absolutely love mine.

Too many companies make the assumption that "Oh, you're a girl -- so you want 'pretty', right?" I had that issue with Pilot. They make the Vanishing Points in all these really awesome colors -- but that's too heavy a pen for me. They make the Decimo -- a perfect size pen for my hand -- in a lot fewer colors, and up until last spring only sold the "girly" colors in the US. Well, I don't WANT "girly". I want classy. And what I wanted was the grey -- which isn't sold in the US. So I ended up having to bypass Pilot USA and deal directly with Japanese sellers. Pilot USA's loss -- I had even contacted them saying "Why don't you sell the grey (and the Dark Blue, which would have been my second choice) in the US" and got told "It's a marketing decision...." Well Pilot's Marketing Department has their collective heads up their collective butts, and made me think of the old YouTube link someone posted a few years ago: it was an old ad from IIRC the 1960s for Sheaffer PFMs and said "Buy your husband a PFM for Christmas!" Totally sexist. They showed the fill system in the ad, and just made me WANT a Snorkel (PFMs being a bit too heavy for me), because the fill system is cool.... These companies don't seem to understand that this is now the 21st century. If I want a "girly" pen I'll buy a "girly" pen. But I want the option of being able to buy a NOT "girly" color -- and to deny me that option is just shooting themselves in the foot.

It's an M805 Stresemann. My husband gave it as a gift to me, just like that, in between so to say, because he knew that I absolutely adored it😍

I have never been on the "girly" side of colours with fountain pens. I've been using my 2 M400 Stresemanns green striated for about 25 years now and then I got infected in a German fountain pen forum. Haven't recovered yet 😄 Next to arrive are an M400 brown tortoise and an M400 white tortoise

I got Opus 88, and the reasons somewhat lined up with me. Ive never heard of the brand, and doubt it will be high on my list to acquire, but it was a fun little marketing quiz

It's an M805 Stresemann. My husband gave it as a gift to me, just like that, in between so to say, because he knew that I absolutely adored it

I have never been on the "girly" side of colours with fountain pens. I've been using my 2 M400 Stresemanns green striated for about 25 years now and then I got infected in a German fountain pen forum. Haven't recovered yet Next to arrive are an M400 brown tortoise and an M400 white tortoise

My first Pelikan was a 1990s era M400 brown tortoise (eBay auction for a special occasion). And it's absolutely gorgeous. I just inked it back up last night with some vintage-ish Skrip Brown (which is very much a sepia brown). Of course my husband was freaking out over the price (I had never paid $100 US or more for a pen before -- and of course that was quite a bi over $100), and didn't really appreciate it when I pointed out that they no longer made that color (at the time -- Pelikan then decided to make a liar out of me and reissue that color :headsmack:); and that it was way cheaper than a *new* Pelikan. Getting the M405 Anthracite Stresemann and an M405 in the striated blue proved THAT point a couple of years later, when I got the phone call from PayPal going "Did you know that a payment for X amount of money was sent to Europe?" "Why yes -- yes I did. Thank you for calling...." (and of course the scary part is that because I was buying the pens from Rolf Thiel at Missing Pens via his eBay store, I was saving money because I wasn't getting hit with the Chartpak markup to US dealers...).

Crazy amount of money. Worth every dime I paid for those two pens.... :thumbup:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The quiz suggests that I shop Pilot, which is in fact my favorite modern brand. Although I have all that I want by now, and any additional pens will probably be vintage.

Impressive coincidence, since many of the questions didn't even apply to me. The music they mentioned was all modern pop music, much of which I've never heard or heard of. No mention of Bach, Mozart, Brahms, even Stravinsky? I've never looked at Instagram, and none of the choices they mention would give me a reason to start. They don't give my kind of hat (flat cap).

Etc.

But of course, it's not to be taken too seriously. Just supposed to be "fun". B)

Let us riot like the Parisian crowd did over "Rite of Spring".

Let us riot like the Parisian crowd did over "Rite of Spring".

Good call! I did my final paper in music theory senior year of high school on that score. Definitely a fave 😄

I could not even imagine answers to ANY of the questions. And absolutely none of the suggestions seemed to make sense or the questions themselves things anyone might even consider. What instagram to follow? What animal? What style?

Sheese. A survey written for a member of the collective or under 12 it seems.

Can't disagree with that. Would be nice if they and Sailor could mend fences.

Excellent! You used the internet for one of its primary purposes ("useless" and "funny cat videos/pictures" (which is a subset of useless, but still the primary purpose of the internet)). :lol:

Hey cat videos are GREAT -- I'm a CAT person!!!

Hey cat videos are GREAT -- I'm a CAT person!!!

I wholeheartedly agree! Funny cat videos are great - and the primary purpose of the internet is to provide a location where one can go to view them! :D I'm a furry-creature person - cats and dogs especially.

A meant to be superficial quiz for younger audiences. I suppose that’s why many of us falling outside that demographic were considered classic/ professional and thus recommended Pilot. It’s funny because as a 23 year old girl who has only touched fountains since late 2018 I probably WAS the newbie friendly person the quiz was targeting!

Anyway the assessment was fair enough for me. (I was hip enough to get all the questions, just saying!) as I was sort of considering some pilot offerings, namely the Ch 92. Fun quiz or not, I’ll give it a half point at least.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

OMG, I'm Vintage! Opus 88! Really? :bawl:

Ummm... what's an Opus 88? :o

The Conductor seems to be thinking he's missing a score, here.

:sm_cat: :sm_cat: :sm_cat:

I and my three (3) feline staff assistants are unanimous in this!

Fun quiz. Fun folks.

Writing is FUN!

Bud Fields

Follow My Writing Adventures!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the thread/link.

It was fun, but Retro 51?!

Are they kidding me? Not on my radar and I got sent to the rollerball section; oh wait maybe they are onto something since that got me into pens.

I like the idea of a MBTI match to pen but like the debunked Myers Briggs, the quiz has to be at least marginally closer.

Now that I've wasted time and pen to find my current champ, it would be great to have a real optimization matrix informed by the FPN database/forum data and less tongue and cheeky.