Advice For Chinese Pens

mns68

Me too I am having small hands ... but is it writer of good quality ?

I have average hands, and the Jinhaos 159 has been an amazing writer for me, usually writing with it unposted. The original nib wrote well with no problems, but I switched it out for a Goulet 1.1 stub nib which has also been terrific on this pen. It’s comfortable enough for me to use for handwriting exercises.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mns68

• truthpil

• Carrau

• alexwi

Me too I am having small hands ... but is it writer of good quality ?

The metal Jinhaos like 159, X450, X750, 163,165, etc. all tend to have great nibs and write wonderfully. Their construction is very sturdy.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Jinhao 159, Baoer 388, Hero 329, Hero 336, Hero 616 Jumbo, Wing Sung 3008, Wing Sung 235.

For everyday use, a Baoer 388 in stainless cannot be beaten. It is a very high-quality Parker Sonnet clone. The rest are fun, but maybe not ideal for daily usage. Keep in mind that depending on luck, some of these pens might need a bit of tweaking before writing properly(a flush with soapy water etc).

i like the wing sung 3008 very much

The metal Jinhaos like 159, X450, X750, 163,165, etc. all tend to have great nibs and write wonderfully. Their construction is very sturdy.

The X 750 looks luxury and wonderful

well its one of those Hero pens that's typical of that Mfr tailoring to the gift market .. in short nothing special but usually plain works .. for the price though I suggest Hero's other more recent production that they did for the real PEN market , pen like the 1506 , or the 981 ; Delike New Moon series ( new Moon, New Moon 2, and New Moon 3 ) are generally a good buy and more catered to a livelier styling.

The Hero 981 and its variants look really nice with some similar stylings to a Lamy 2000.

I'm a big fan of the Delike New Moon 2. Gorgeous acrylic and the ability to change nibs very easy.

I wish I could find one of the original New Moon in orange still.

well its one of those Hero pens that's typical of that Mfr tailoring to the gift market .. in short nothing special but usually plain works .. for the price though I suggest Hero's other more recent production that they did for the real PEN market , pen like the 1506 , or the 981 ; Delike New Moon series ( new Moon, New Moon 2, and New Moon 3 ) are generally a good buy and more catered to a livelier styling.

Both Hero 981-1 and H703 looks beautiful ...what is your input about writing experience I always afraid of fussiness and skipping of course not to mention the scratchy behavior of many of EF nib ....I recently bought Lamy Safari with EF nib and unfortunately scratchy writing was pain in the neck !

Edited by mns68

Both Hero 981-1 and H703 looks beautiful ...what is your input about writing experience I always afraid of fussiness and skipping of course not to mention the scratchy behavior of many of EF nib ....I recently bought Lamy Safari with EF nib and unfortunately scratchy writing was pain in the neck !

The H703 has a wet writing 10k gold nib that writes a line similar to a Western fine. The nib also has some spring to it. The only reason someone might not like this pen is because it is so thin, only 8mm in diameter.

I just bought the Jinhao X450 M nib and 159 B nib in addition to Hero 1515 F nib ....i hope they will offer me a new writing experience

Edited by mns68

I've bought no.6 Jinhao nibs in M, F, XF, 0.5mm and 0.7mm, and all have turned out to be the same nib. It seems there's just the straight nib and the fude nib. On the plus side, I've got a lot of nibs to play with grinding.

I've bought no.6 Jinhao nibs in M, F, XF, 0.5mm and 0.7mm, and all have turned out to be the same nib. It seems there's just the straight nib and the fude nib. On the plus side, I've got a lot of nibs to play with grinding.

That's the trouble with so many of the Jinhao nibs because they don't actually have the nib size indicated on them. One sellers F is another's B haha. It seems like only some of the newer models like 992, 991, 156, etc. actually have an "F" on the nib.

I just bought the Jinhao X450 M nib and 159 B nib in addition to Hero 1515 F nib ....i hope they will offer me a new writing experience

at least I am getting one true F nib from Hero :D

Edited by mns68

at least I am getting one true F nib from Hero :D

Yes, Hero is pretty consistent with their sizes.

• 4 weeks later...

Few days ago I received the Jinhao X450.... I was very much impressed by manufacturing quality and I impressed more by writing quality ...the only drawback from my point of view was related to nib size that was more F than what supposed to be as M .... I compared it to Caran D'Ache 849 F Nib and I believe that they both did very well : no fussiness no skipping little variation and both were in the wetty side of writing , of course the Caran D Ache is remarkably lighter in weight but taller especially when it is boosted ...Caran d Ache is about 50$ ( without converter !! ) while the Jinhao is only 2$

This Jinhao is my first Chinese FP and I am truly happy to have it and I think I will go to collect more of them ...I expect to receive the other Jinhao 159 and Hero 1515 very soon

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mshakra/43818552830/in/dateposted-public/

Edited by mns68

if you are still looking for pen with similar or close design take a look at Hero 3013, i'm still waiting for mine so cannot tell you my experience with it but it's similar to x450/x750 in size and have a good reviews even so it have unbranded nib which can be changed

if you are still looking for pen with similar or close design take a look at Hero 3013, i'm still waiting for mine so cannot tell you my experience with it but it's similar to x450/x750 in size and have a good reviews even so it have unbranded nib which can be changed

I like to have one but with B nib ...I couldn't find one on eBay !

I like to have one but with B nib ...I couldn't find one on eBay !

i doubt there one Hero 3013 that comes with it but you can always install it on it, it should use #5 nib as i can see so there shouldn't be a problem to find one from china

look on ebay for Gothic Duckbill Parallel Nib it's gonna give you list of pens that use this more calligraphy and broader nibs, not economical to buy whole pen for the nib but there sometimes sellers who sell them separately under same deal, also look at Jinhao 871 there one deal right now in which they sell this nibs separately for like 1$. Not gonna provide any links cause they can expire easily, and as Bob somewhere on forum said "this forum already have too many dead links" as a new user myself thats search stuff here alot I totally can feel that ><

Hope that helps, maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong

Edited by Lomarion

... look on ebay for Gothic Duckbill Parallel Nib it's gonna give you list of pens that use this more calligraphy and broader nibs, not economical to buy whole pen for the nib ...

Search on AliExpress for parallel fountain pen and sort by price. There are a few shops there that sell the nibs separately for less than USD $0.25 each. I quite enjoy the 1.1mm, and I've tuned a 0.7mm that's shockingly good, and it's much more economical that way. (Edited to say I don't know whether or not these fit the 3013 specifically, I'm just pointing out the cheap way to get the nibs without a whole pen to throw out.)

Edited by JollyCynic

Search on AliExpress for parallel fountain pen and sort by price. There are a few shops there that sell the nibs separately for less than USD $0.25 each. I quite enjoy the 1.1mm, and I've tuned a 0.7mm that's shockingly good, and it's much more economical that way. (Edited to say I don't know whether or not these fit the 3013 specifically, I'm just pointing out the cheap way to get the nibs without a whole pen to throw out.)

I found these nibs of 1.0mm on eBay and I bought a couple of them for my Jinhao pens

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Original-Jinhao-6-Nib-For-Jinhao-X750-450/232988687847?var=532504519833

Edited by mns68