Pen Pouches For Larger Pens

Craiglea

I'm looking for a leather pen pouch that will accommodate larger pens such as a Sailor Ebonite KOP as well as smaller pens too.

I want a separate compartment for pens, a flap that works with longer pens and ideally UK or European made. Happy to pay more for a quality product, in fact I'd prefer that ideally.

I’ve seen the Morgan Esq. pen cases but don’t know much about them. Personal recommendations from experience are really welcome.

Edited by Craiglea

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craiglea

• A Smug Dill

• sansenri

• Cdaig35

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

I use several different cases for larger pens.

I have the Saki P-661 that I keep my TWSBI Vac 700R which is a large pen, it has three pouches and could hold 6 pens: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saki-P-661-Traditional-Japanese-Fabric/dp/B005DPBDRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538134386&sr=8-1&keywords=saki+p661

I also use this pen from The Turners Workshop, they sell a range of cases (search on their site for cases): https://www2.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/brown-5-x-pen-leather-pen-roll-by-the-northumbrian-pen-co.html

If you have the pennies then look at the Pilot Pensemble; I keep my Pilot Custom 823 in it. But you would need to import from Japan (can be found on Amazon.co.uk for around £50.00).

Alternatively check out this review of pen cases, it covers quite a few different cases: https://theindianmarmaladecompany.com/2017/09/14/the-bumper-pen-case-review/

Hope this helps

Al

DiLoro cases work for me. Their two pen case will hold pens as large as a Stipula Gladiator or Homo Sapiens with ease and as small as an MB 144. They are well constructed with nice soft leather.

61lKgFEzs-L._SL1500_3a917372-d067-4b17-a

Thank you guys!

I really like the look of the Pilot Pensemble and the Nagasawa 3 Pen Sleeve but have the DiLORO in reserve too.

Edited by Craiglea

If you want quality and a bespoke case, contact member my63 here on FPN. I have several of his custom cases. He can make them to accommodate pens of most any size.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I use a Lamy black leather pouche. It is very convenient with a flap with a magnet slot. Bigger pens like my Omas 360, Waterman Edson and even Montblanc hommage to Homer can fit (the latter is the limit). It adapts itself to the size of the pen. Of course, when you put a girthy pen together with a slim one, the latter will not be wedged. But they cannot rattle against each other because of the separation between them, and they stay secure in the pouch.Lamy has 2-pens and 3-pens pouches for a very reasonable price.

Just a happy customer.

Orval

I am currently waiting on a case to come in from Galen leather. Although I cannot speak to its ability to hold large pens yet, I would like to throw out there that the products on their web site are reasonably priced and they appear very nice.

With my Pilot Custom 743 fountain pen (essentially the same size as the Pilot 823) I can use the $14.99 DiLorio single pen case in black full grain soft buffalo leather and red stitching. There are other colors and materials available. Here is the link to the page on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHVY1ZN

This case handles my Pilot 743 well. But a larger pen, especially larger in girth, may be too big. The buffalo leather is around 2.3 mm thick. The cow-hide versions of this case may use thinner material. If so, that would help to accommodate a larger pen. If I remember correctly the Sailor KOP is larger than the 743, but I do not have reliable dimensions handy. Perhaps you can compare the size of your KOP with the dimensions of my 743:

------------------------------------------------------
Pilot Custom 743 Fountain Pen w/FA Nib
Posted Length: 165.10 mm

Capped Length: 148.55 mm
Uncapped Length: 131.39 mm
Cap Length: 71.52 mm
Cap Band Width: 15.69 mm
Barrel Diameter: 12.49 mm
Section Diameter: 10.69 mm

Here are a couple of pictures linked from the Amazon page (where there are more):

81vedF0lACL._SL1500_.jpg

81XGixXiX5L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Drone

I have a manhattan portage 5 pen case that is insanely compact but will swallow all of my largest pens, from a 149 to a noodlers neponset, VAC700R, visconti homo sapiens, and my hand turned monster pen that I made when I was a fountain pen idiot. as long as you rotate the pens to the side the clips won't touch each other and it'll take 4 MASSIVE pens and one small one. I usually run 2 large pens max and 2 medium/smalls with my rotring 600/800 pencil in the small slot.

The Vislon YKK zipper is smooth and tough as nails, the cordura fabric is very durable and the pouch has just enough padding and give to protect pens.

$25 and I've been using it for a couple years now every single day of the week. 4 pens and a pencil is kind of my goldilocks number too.

https://www.manhattanportage.com/catalog/product/view/id/469/s/clamshell-pen-case-1060/

It's made of Cordura fabric, so it isn't going to be super soft on the outside but the inner fabric is quite smooth and has resisted stretching. It's made in Taiwan but the stitching is excellent and again, has proven itself to be bulletproof.

Here's an absurd oversize load, left to right - Rotring 800, Mont Blanc 149, TWSBI VAC700R (very long), Conklin All American Old Glory, Visconti Homo Sapiens Maxi.

fpn_1538959258__20181007_173536.jpg

And notice that if you just insert them with the clip to the side, none of them will touch.

fpn_1538959422__20181007_173600.jpg

If you want to drop money, a visconti pen case is VERY nicely made. I had a 2 pen case until it was stolen.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the recommendations. I tried the Pilot Pensemble and the Nagasawa cases and have been really impressed with both. The materials are great and the workmanship is excellent. I escaped customs charges on one but had to pay for the other one!

I think I will use the Nagasawa as a daily case and the Pilot case for holidays and travel.

I have both the DiLoro single pen case (actually, ten of them, for the effective price of US$5 each) and the DiLoro double pen case (actually, eleven of them, with the first ten for the effective price of US$10 each). The difference in quality between those two types are like night and day.

The single pen case is not entirely rubbish, but a price of a single digit of US dollars is about right.

The double pen case is at least as good, and probably significantly better, than anything else of the sort I could buy for three or four times what I paid for it. It also comfortably houses my Platinum Izumo, which is my largest fountain pen by far, alongside any other pen I have. Only the brown and the red were in stock when I bought the first ten, so when the black one was in stock again, I happily paid the list price for it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 3 weeks later...

For sheer luxury I would probably look at a Montblanc or Visconti case...

but both Fedon and Wancher do make very nice pen holders, both of them quite large. The Wancher 3 pen holder easily holds 3 Parker centennials.

fpn_1527630475__p1110151-2.jpg

I'm looking for a leather pen pouch that will accommodate larger pens such as a Sailor Ebonite KOP as well as smaller pens too.

I want a separate compartment for pens, a flap that works with longer pens and ideally UK or European made. Happy to pay more for a quality product, in fact I'd prefer that ideally.

I’ve seen the Morgan Esq. pen cases but don’t know much about them. Personal recommendations from experience are really welcome.

Allegory leather pen wrap https://www.allegorygoods.com/all-products/writing-tool-wrap

I previously commented about awaiting a Galen Leather pen pouch order. I got the one that closes with a flap instead of a zipper pouch. It is perfect for pens that are medium/large but not oversize. For example, the Diplomat Aero has plenty of room. For oversize pens, it is definitely a squeeze. When I first got the pouch I left a M100 and a Visconti Homo Sapiens in for about a month to stretch it some. It is still a tight squeeze, but it is definitely useable.

but both Fedon and Wancher do make very nice pen holders, both of them quite large. The Wancher 3 pen holder easily holds 3 Parker centennials.

I used to use a Wancher 3-pen leather case to hold my three Rotring Initial fountain pens. It's large enough, but I certainly cannot recommend it for the leather quality or durability aspects.

fpn_1541988204__my_wancher_3-pen_case.jp

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

looks like you have abused it quite a bit... :D admittedly I take maniacal care of mine, but you have a point, it does depend on type of use.

For rougher use I use the rigid ones (second from left in my pic, is a Fedon).

l also like my Nock fabric pen holder quite a lot.

looks like you have abused it quite a bit... :D

Not particularly. The leather just started cracking and flaking all over the place after a couple of years. I usually had it inside my messenger bag taking it to work, and so the only thing that would have happened was bumping against papers and perhaps books. The laptop was too large for the pen case to do anything other than to slide across it flat inside the bag.

noted, I have a couple that are more than one year old, but still in good shape, will keep an eye on any self destroying symptoms... :)

in terms of ruggedness I also have a 6 place Frankling Christof which is really tough leather and do highly recommend in this respect,

not all pens fit though as the inside spaces are just slightly too tight for some of the very large pens.