• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• Wardok

• peterg

• milkb0at

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed myself this year, especially as I got to meet Tas. It made an interesting day out into a really enjoyable one.

I didn't buy very much (my budget was small this year) and in fact that only writing implement I've ended up with is a Lamy Scribble pencil that I bought... from Tas (it's a long story). It was a good day for cheap, decent notebooks, so I've loaded up on those.

The place was very crowded at times but there was a good mix of people, young and old. Last year felt like mostly vintage vendors (both in terms of proprietors and their wares) but this year had more modern stuff which suited my tastes better.

Let's hope the rumours of a March show turn out to be true.

Wow, Tas and eciton, you certainly got a couple of great bargains! Love the Archivi Storici - was that the piston fill version? And which Van Gogh did you get? I thought John at Write Here had a good show price, at more than double what you paid. I would have bought one but he didn't have the model I wanted - which did you get?

I did add to the sales of Pure Pens Cadwaladr Red, and KWZ Grey Plum, plus a free bottle of Diamine Wild Strawberry, then the madness started. Too many sellers were taking credit cards!

I knew I was going to look at Stefano Corsini's collaboration with Stipula, and I ended up getting a red with palladium trim to match its Tflex titanium nib.

I hadn't expected Cruzalt Pens to be there, and Paco had some great Delta bargains, especially on red Via Venetos. I was one of I think three people who snapped one up in five minutes. He also had a Krone Metaphor in a pretty blue and yellow acrylic and one of their old 18ct nibs, and to make the deal I succumbed to the lilac Decimo I've wanted for a long time.

Then I spotted a Caran D'Ache Leman Grand Bleu that just called to me. I walked past the stand a couple of times, went to get some food to try to restore sanity, but I knew I would regret leaving without that pen. Guillaume from Empire de L'Ecriture let me try it - that was it! If he hadn't taken credit cards I couldn't have done it, but hey ....

Also talked to John Twiss about a future commission, and had a really good time at the show, met a couple of people I hadn't expected to see and it seemed to be a really good, lively atmosphere. Roll on next year!

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I didn't buy anything - I have too many pens as it is - but it was wonderful to visit the show today. Highlights (apart from catching up with so many of the usual suspects) was trying the new Scribo pens. Yes, they may not be Omas, but I feel the old staff are creating something which may prove quite special...

Too many pens; too little writing.

I went for the early bird entrance to avoid the crowds AND to hit some of the vendors where there could be limited items. My purchases can be seen here, but were basically two from John Twiss (one made by him one under his TWICO store), one from ONOTO (one of their prototypes) and one from Martini Auctions - like Eciton, an Oversized Homo Sapiens, mine being a Bronze Age, however I did put down (and could not afford) the 2003 Graf von Faber Castel Pen of the Year they had (snake wood I believe).

I went along today and enjoyed catching up with a few people. I timed it badly and got there around 11.30 when it suddenly got very very busy. Quieter again over the lunch period but still difficult to get a really good look at everything.

I picked up a Visconti Ragtime in "titanic" celluloid and a blue Waterman Edson at good prices. A gold Aurora 88 from Carneil Pens was also irresistible!

Definitely more modern pens and non-uk based vendors this year.

It was a fabulous show, better than last year. I got in as an earlybird and scored some great deals, including a Visconti Van Gogh for £50.

I posted a writeup here:

https://ukfountainpens.com/2018/10/07/2018-london-writing-equipment-show-success/

Thank you for the write-up. yes it was a great pen show. I spent all day there ! People are so friendly and there are so many pens and accessories to look at, so many temptations to give in to ! Already looking forward to the Spring one. Any of you Londoners going to the monthly Saturday meet-ups of the London pen club ? I only just found out about it.

Attendance ranges from about 12 to 22 people. Some people bring pens/ ink along to sell and there can be the odd dealer but it is mostly a social, look and try my pen/ ink type of event.

So pleased for you and your daughter. Great haul and excellent write-up.

She's loving the Safari, although I had to swap out the 1.1 stub for a medium — she was struggling to write with it, and I assumed it was her technique, but actually the nib was duff! The six year old is always right :)

Last year felt like mostly vintage vendors (both in terms of proprietors and their wares) but this year had more modern stuff which suited my tastes better.

Seconded! I didn't notice at the time but now you mention it it really was a much better balance. Could've done with more paper, cases, other accessories, but I'm glad it was more modern stuff too.

And which Van Gogh did you get? I thought John at Write Here had a good show price, at more than double what you paid. I would have bought one but he didn't have the model I wanted - which did you get?

I did add to the sales of Pure Pens Cadwaladr Red, and KWZ Grey Plum, plus a free bottle of Diamine Wild Strawberry, then the madness started. Too many sellers were taking credit cards!

My Van Gogh is the Room at Arles — I would normally say I like blue pens best (after black) but this red and yellow just grabbed me. It's a stunner.

Your list of purchases is... extensive :). I could happily have bought two or three more but I had a junior witness who is terrible at lying. She'd never be able to cover for me. She'd have dropped me in it at home in a heartbeat!

Glad you and your daughter had a good time - nice write up too :thumbup:

Ta :)

Thank you for the write-up. yes it was a great pen show. I spent all day there ! People are so friendly and there are so many pens and accessories to look at, so many temptations to give in to ! Already looking forward to the Spring one. Any of you Londoners going to the monthly Saturday meet-ups of the London pen club ? I only just found out about it.

I've been to one of the London meetups so far, and one of the "South". Nice bunch and great to finally have a conversation about pens in person with people who actually understand and don't look at you as if you're crazy!

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

I spoke to Ian Williamson and he confirmed that there will be another London show at the same venue in March 2019 - he couldn't remember the exact date though.

Spoke to Steve Hull and suggested he didn't sit around at pen shows and waste time that might otherwise be spent on his Swan tome planned for the autumn 2019 pen show :D - joking of course, but good to have a brief chat with him.

Disappointed that the dealer who in previous years I've seen selling acres of spare caps, barrels and other parts wasn't to be found - especially as I'd taken half a dozen vintage pens along which all needed parts.

Not an easy place for the likes of me - needs self-discipline writ very large - otherwise the bank manager ends up paying for my pens - and he doesn't even get to see them!! Thought I did very well with the self-control though - didn't end up bankrupt - and came away with a couple of nice 51 Vacs. Probably my age showing, but after some time spent bending over looking at pens, I end up with backache - they will need to show their wares slightly higher :D

Glad the weather was good, and very welcome to hear of a repeat show at the Holiday Inn in March.

Disappointed that the dealer who in previous years I've seen selling acres of spare caps, barrels and other parts wasn't to be found - especially as I'd taken half a dozen vintage pens along which all needed parts.

Not an easy place for the likes of me - needs self-discipline writ very large - otherwise the bank manager ends up paying for my pens - and he doesn't even get to see them!! Thought I did very well with the self-control though - didn't end up bankrupt - and came away with a couple of nice 51 Vacs. Probably my age showing, but after some time spent bending over looking at pens, I end up with backache - they will need to show their wares slightly higher :D

Glad the weather was good, and very welcome to hear of a repeat show at the Holiday Inn in March.

I think he was at the other end of the main hall this year, just inside on the left.

My self discipline wasn't so good. I had to get additional funds from the cash machine but managed to come away with a few pens of passing interest

I find it very interesting to read of other people’s experiences at this years show. Unfortunately I was unable to attend though I was at last years show. I hope I can fit in a trip to next years show and glad to hear of show planned for March. Looking forward already!!

Spoke to Steve Hull and suggested he didn't sit around at pen shows and waste time that might otherwise be spent on his Swan tome planned for the autumn 2019 pen show :D - joking of course, but good to have a brief chat with him.

Steve had the first chapter there all ready and I have seen the words for another 3 so it is definitely coming.

I'm really enjoying my new Dinkie book - 50 years of the Dinkie 1922 to 1972 by Andy Russell - so I can wait a little longer for the Mabie Todd one. Good news is that there is a further book being contemplated after MT, a mere twinkle at this stage, but based on the pitch it may be my favourite of all.

I think he was at the other end of the main hall this year, just inside on the left.

My self discipline wasn't so good. I had to get additional funds from the cash machine but managed to come away with a few pens of passing interest

I think the seller with the piles of parts is Nigel Leonard who wasn't there this year but look at seller fatnibs on EBay if you want to track him down.

thanks for that - in that case I may enquire as to whether Nigel Leonard intends to be at the Holiday Inn in March - these spare part acquisitions are the sort of deals where I'd rather handle potential items to see if they fit/match etc.

quote ..................…. "but based on the pitch it may be my favourite of all. " :D I'd be pleased with Mentmore, though I suspect not.

I was talking about Mark Catley from Vintage Fountain Pens.

Nigel hasn't had a stall at the LPS for several years. I've heard rumors that he has emigrated to the West Country

• 1 year later...