Baystate Blue Not So Blue

Adgj533

Well, there's your problem...

attachicon.gif 200w_d.gif

99.999% of the time I would agree with you, but in this specific case, they appeared (to my eye) to be the same on both different monitors. Both work and home laptops, standard settings, both higher end models, one HP, one Dell. So, I figured "Whelp, this is what it looks like!" and ordered it.

That said, to stress again, I don't mind it being different, but this seems to be a common occurrence with Noodlers' inks given some of the other threads here. I have several other bottles on the way, because I DO love how Noodler's inks look onscreen. I guess we'll see what's what!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wallylynn

• amberleadavis

• Quiet

• DasKaltblut

a more general comment if I may

It's very difficult to find a very blue blue (in this respect it does not surprise me that BSB look purplish, despite I do not use it, as I do not wish to use precautions it requires)

I'm fond of blue inks and hardly use any other colour ink

when looking for a blue that looks blue you almost always fall either into red blues or green blues

I tend to prefer the former,

the problem with green blues is that they look almost immediately green and not blue

(while red blues look at best purple but never red...)

I'm still on the quest of the most blue of blues, my current champion is Waterman Florida/Serenity

I do however enjoy reddish blues (most royal blues, and even purple leaning blues like most sapphires)

a tricky category is turquoise blues, many people here like them, but to me they still lean a bit too much on green

some dark blues look very blue

BSB is a nice shade of blue, but I use Asa Gao instead or Diamine Sapphire, Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire, still they all tend very slightly on purple-red
(personal opinion of course, so many factors influence how each of us sees a colour...)

they appeared (to my eye) to be the same on both different monitors

Of course they would. The issue is

1. your perception, not the monitors. If saw the dress was gold, you'd consistently see it that way on different monitor. Or consistently blue. Not blue on one and Gold on another.

2. Even if your perception was infallible, Photos cannot accurately portray bsb (or any other ink). You lose information taking the photo, you lose more recreating it.

That's fair. In any case, at the end of the day, BSB is more purple than blue. More concerning are comments I've seen here talking about variations from batch to batch. I guess it's good that I've got a full bottle and won't need any more for a very long time!

Of course they would. The issue is

1. your perception, not the monitors. If saw the dress was gold, you'd consistently see it that way on different monitor. Or consistently blue. Not blue on one and Gold on another.

2. Even if your perception was infallible, Photos cannot accurately portray bsb (or any other ink). You lose information taking the photo, you lose more recreating it.

That's fair. In any case, at the end of the day, BSB is more purple than blue. More concerning are comments I've seen here talking about variations from batch to batch. I guess it's good that I've got a full bottle and won't need any more for a very long time!

Except that BSB does not have variation issues. You should do the Blue sharpie test with an ink swab. if you see that as the same color, then the issue again here is your perception. You are percieving it as purple, when it is it's normal color (which is actually blue, whether you percieve it that way or not).

For a straight up heavily saturated primary blue, I rather like Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue. I'm going to have to get a bottle of Noodlers BSB though. Just to annoy the pedants if for no other reason. Yes, I consider Mr. Tardiff to be something of a kindred spirit :)

Super helpful, thanks. In a large ink collection where I have a lot of different blues, that all look like different shades of blue, BSB looking purple means my my perception's bad. Sure thing.

-_-

Except that BSB does not have variation issues. You should do the Blue sharpie test with an ink swab. if you see that as the same color, then the issue again here is your perception. You are percieving it as purple, when it is it's normal color (which is actually blue, whether you percieve it that way or not).

Edited by Quiet

Not quite. BSB does lean purple. Everyone in this thread says its purple. Every review I know of in the Ink Reviews section talks about it being quite dark and noticeably purple. The error in perception is seeing it to be a pure blue on a computer monitor.

There's also issue with the terminology. "Blue" is vague. "Purple" is vague. Blue jeans should be called indigo jeans because they're dyed from the indigo plant. If you think indigo jeans are blue, then BSB is no worse.

Not quite. BSB does lean purple. Everyone in this thread says its purple. Every review I know of in the Ink Reviews section talks about it being quite dark and noticeably purple. The error in perception is seeing it to be a pure blue on a computer monitor.

There's also issue with the terminology. "Blue" is vague. "Purple" is vague. Blue jeans should be called indigo jeans because they're dyed from the indigo plant. If you think indigo jeans are blue, then BSB is no worse.

Everyone in this thread did not say it was purple. There are many reviews of BSB that don't mention purple. Even one where someone made the effort to make a Pantone match, which is not a vague thing. His words: "The closest Pantone match I can find is somewhere around "Reflex Blue" or "PMS 2738"." Does it have more red in it than some other blues? Probably. That doesn't mean it crosses into the threshold of purple however. If anyone thinks Blue Sharpie, which is exactly matches, is purple, then that's their personal issue. They can write to Sanford and tell them they are wrong and vague. There is a reason that Blue Sharpie is labeled Blue, and this ink as Baystate Blue.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/54525-noodlers-baystate-blue-comprehensive-review/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/190609-baystate-blue/

Edited by DasKaltblut

Hey, all remember to be polite and not make unkind personal remarks.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY