My New Parker 15 Custom Pen

gammada

For some odd reason I've found myself liking the simple and plain lines of the Parker 15/ Jotter fountain pen family as of late. So after buying a couple of them, but not feeling entirely satisfied with the looks of any, I decided to create my own by combining the steel cap and clear section of the somewhat rare demostrator version, with the barrel of the Matte Black model.

The result as you can attest, it's quite striking! The weight is still on par with that of the flighter since both -barrel and cap, are metal but the looks are more of my liking than that of the current Jotter, which has a shiny finish. Also, the clear section looks way less cheap than the black one -that shows moulding lines.

What do you think?

post-115758-0-31922100-1538021443_thumb.jpg

post-115758-0-14389700-1538021458_thumb.jpg

post-115758-0-43192900-1538021478_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• mitto

• PaulS

• Grafeus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good. I have a few old UK made black lacquer version as well flighter P15s/Jotter FPs but don't have the clear demo version. Good little pens these are especially for school kids/biginners.

Khan M. Ilyas

Looks good. I have a few old UK made black lacquer version as well flighter P15s/Jotter FPs but don't have the clear demo version. Good little pens these are especially for school kids/biginners.

Also for EDC. If you get it stolen or lost, doesn't hurt as much as losing a vintage or more expensive pen. It's quite a smooth and juicy writer too. I want to see if I can fit the new Jotter nib/ ring to it.

I like pens in single colours but this does look good. How thick would you say the section is in mm?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I like pens in single colours but this does look good. How thick would you say the section is in mm?

It goes from around 10mm and tapers to 8mm. It's a small pen.

I think you'd really need to be in love with this model, to want one as an adult. The full plastic bodied examples are physically very light in weight, and do look cheap, and the flighters don't make for much additional heft, though they do give the appearance of higher quality. I'm not criticising a persons choice - I dare say a lot of folk would find some of my pens questionable - and this partial demonstrator version is interesting and lifts the looks a tad.

I've four flighters plus plastic examples in two different reds, plus a blue and a black, and in common with so many modern lower price bracket pens the nibs all appear to be medium nails - but of course they do the job they're made for, and it's true you could lose one and hardly notice the cost. I suspect much of my bigotry stems as much from the nib as any other aspect of the pen, and there is a similar issue with Frontiers, Sonnets and 45s, although no doubt someone will now jump in and refer to optional nibs that are less than ordinary.

Some little while back they popped up quite commonly in my searches in the wild, but for some reason their commonness seems to have turned to far less common.

As a pen "for school kids/beginners." they are perfect, but you'd never convince me to write with one - demonstrator or not, and I fail completely to see the allure. :)

I like the conversion, the demo section looks cool. I have a flighter 15 fp and a black rollerball and I think I prefer the look of the black pen. They are indeed quite small (both short and thin) and the nibs are pretty basic. But they are easy to carry, inexpensive, and plain to use in any work environment. School pens exert a nostalgia-kind of appeal to me and although the Jotter/15 is not my favourite school pen it certainly has its place and time.