Wing Sung 601A

NighthawkSix

Chinese technology has progressed so much. I thought no one would dare to expend enough energy to bring the Sheaffer triumph nib back to life, especially at this price point.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• GreyPix

• bob_hayden

• NighthawkSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The old Wing Sung made quite a few pens with that style of nib. I wonder if they dug up the old tooling?

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

I think for Chinese pens, they have released so much styles (inspired by other popular brands) in the past not known to me that I am afraid of saying whether their newer design are actually innovative or not.

The old Wing Sung made quite a few pens with that style of nib. I wonder if they dug up the old tooling?

They do not need to, the Mfr already state that the nib was NOS from Wing Sung ( the vintage one ) and its likely the feed too but I will judge that when mine arrives

You can get a regular 601 with ink windows. Just my personal preference but I think this nib is hideous - plus the MADE IN CHINA!!!! is super gauche. "MADE IN...anywhere" that prominent is just not my preference. To each his own. If you like it, knock yourself out.

Ahem... to correct your generalization, everything "Made In ____" is garish EXCEPT "Made in USA", which Parker managed to pull off for almost a century.

Ahem... to correct your generalization, everything "Made In ____" is garish EXCEPT "Made in USA", which Parker managed to pull off for almost a century.

By extension I guess any nib that had anything remotely saying " made in XXX " and any branding can be said to be garish anyway .. I suppose that's why even on their 18K nib Jowo simply stamped on it 18K 750, and then grind EF, F, M, B or whatever ... that certainly made me chuckle; I've had so many of those vintage nib that I must say are even more garish in their stamping than just a simple " Made in XXX " and yes many of them are made in USA indeed

A lot of country are proud of their national products. If you go to Vietnam, you will find a lot of stores with signs outside that read "Made in Vietnam". Obviously, Vietnam is a poor country with products not up to international standards but people are proud of their work from limited access to advanced tools. The same is true for Thailand, the Philippines, Japan and a lot of countries in Europe and the West. I think ONLY Chinese people carry this shame complex when it comes to "Made in China". I don´t understand the reason though because their products are quite good, with some of them represent the best value for the money. That said, I do like vintage American pens because there´s a "Made in USA" on many parts of the pens, from the nib to the sections. There is no question that the people at Parker and Sheaffer had a lot of pride making these great products. National pride is very important for the development of quality goods.

It's in my "to try" box, along with 15 other pens. It arrived 2 weeks ago but I'd only managed to test out 6-7 pens over the weekend, 601A needs to wait in line :D.

Has anyone else tried this pen out yet apart from 'Vanacres' and myself?

It's in my "to try" box, along with 15 other pens. It arrived 2 weeks ago but I'd only managed to test out 6-7 pens over the weekend, 601A needs to wait in line :D.

I know where your coming from.

I just received 5 Wing Sung 3003's and 4 x 3008's.

The 3003's are going to be experimented on as I try to form my own fude nibs.

The 3008's, of which I now only have 2 left (my wife and daughter have snaffled one each :rolleyes: ) are for ink testing.

I've dip tested all of them and all the nibs seem to be excellent and smooth writers. Either I have been extraordinarily lucky with my Chinese pen purchases (15 so far), or, the quality control issues are being addressed as I have had none of the issues with my pens that I have read others have had. Hm!

But I digress.

I now have to guard my 601A as my daughter snaffled my original 601 and wont give it back and has been eyeing this one up.

Anyways, hope you have as much luck with the 601A's nib and writing experience as I have when you do manage to get around to trying yours out.

I plan to buy a couple more 601A's just as soon as they extend the colour range beyond the current choice of teal(ish) blue and 'poopy' brown.

I know where your coming from.

I just received 5 Wing Sung 3003's and 4 x 3008's.

The 3003's are going to be experimented on as I try to form my own fude nibs.

The 3008's, of which I now only have 2 left (my wife and daughter have snaffled one each :rolleyes: ) are for ink testing.

I've dip tested all of them and all the nibs seem to be excellent and smooth writers. Either I have been extraordinarily lucky with my Chinese pen purchases (15 so far), or, the quality control issues are being addressed as I have had none of the issues with my pens that I have read others have had. Hm!

But I digress.

I now have to guard my 601A as my daughter snaffled my original 601 and wont give it back and has been eyeing this one up.

Anyways, hope you have as much luck with the 601A's nib and writing experience as I have when you do manage to get around to trying yours out.

I plan to buy a couple more 601A's just as soon as they extend the colour range beyond the current choice of teal(ish) blue and 'poopy' brown.

Here's the content of my "to try" box, on the left are pens that I tested over the weekend. You can see the 601A has some good competitions on the right :D.

BHQ11hZ.jpg?1

I received my WS 601A last week and have put it through the paces for the past couple of days. I find that it writes a little wetter than my regular 601 and has a smooth nib right out of the box.

I'll be honest, with my 601 I sometimes had a hard time getting the nib lined up correctly on the paper because I couldn't see it with the hood. With the 601A, I don't have that problem because you can clearly see the nib orientation.

I'm really enjoying this new pen.

Here's the content of my "to try" box, on the left are pens that I tested over the weekend. You can see the 601A has some good competitions on the right :D.

BHQ11hZ.jpg?1

:yikes: GOOD GRIEF! I look forward to reading your views on all these. It will save me having to dodge my wife's wrath in purchasing them all myself :lol: .

I received my WS 601A last week and have put it through the paces for the past couple of days. I find that it writes a little wetter than my regular 601 and has a smooth nib right out of the box.

I'll be honest, with my 601 I sometimes had a hard time getting the nib lined up correctly on the paper because I couldn't see it with the hood. With the 601A, I don't have that problem because you can clearly see the nib orientation.

I'm really enjoying this new pen.

An interesting point.

I don't tend to 'roll' my pens either way so didn't really think about the alignment with paper issue that can occur with these hooded nibs.

My wife on the other hand has had to re-adjust her hand's orientation when using the 601 and 618.

That is a distinct advantage of the 601A's nib as you say.

I have noted also that due to the length of the nib on the 601A there is a little bit of flex. I wonder how this would be improved if they went wild and used titanium or a softer gold in place of the steel?

Edited by GreyPix

• 3 weeks later...

My reactions to a video about the 601a:

Nice colours!

Good proportions.

Ink window!

Piston with a spring!

That is one interesting looking nib, and not hooded.

Wait, that nib reminds me of something... Oh a Sheaffer!

Well, might as well get a Sheaffer?

Wait, I don't even like Sheaffers.

Plus there's the everlasting shame of buying the copy of something, or in this case, the copy of another 5 or 6 pens. Fountain Pens Anonymous meeting "... and I use a Wing Something in secret" gasps of horror, duel with pistols at dawn with the Pelikan distributor.

I'd love to know what the chinese characters say, perhaps something like that's right dogs, MADE IN CHAAINA!

Oh well, moving on. Maybe a 601b with an upturned nib? :D

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

That are my 2 Wing Sung 601 A , one with a ink window and one without the ink window and together with 2 Wing Sung 233 one with a steel cap and a steel nib and one with an aluminum golden plated cap and a two tone nib .

hOhfHwf.jpg

rbhwRL6.jpg

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Very interesting. I hadn't stumbled onto the WS 233 yet. I'm partial to Sheaffers and think I'll give one of these a try. Thanks for the tip.

The Wing Sung 233 was one of my first fountain pens and wrote really well out of the box. Unfortunately the snap cap became loose, and it eventually got a bad leak from the section so I threw it out. More recently (a few years back) I got another AS 233 but the nib was misaligned. What I found was that the nib was a softer metal that made it difficult to properly align the tines. If these are the same nibs, be careful not to mistake the softness of the metal for flexibility, or you may spring the nib. The pen should be a firm fine. I hope to buy one eventually but for the time being I've sworn off sub $20 pens.

Amazing this thread showed up a couple days ago. Last night, my 601 began to leak. I must take it out of commission. And replace it with something.....