Wing Sung 601A

NighthawkSix

This morning on Ebay I noticed the new Wing Sung 601A. It's interesting how they've now combined the Parker and Sheaffer pens. Of course I had to order one to try it out.

post-142512-0-98659900-1537976102_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• GreyPix

• bob_hayden

• NighthawkSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well I've noted that also, and order a piece, IMHO not a bad idea. After all the piston pump mechanism had proven itself already and utilizing that as a base for adapting all the other interesting past Wing Sung nibs looks to be a real nice idea. Great way to economize on a success I say and not to mention also there really is no more triumph nib in current production.

Edited by Mech-for-i

In my opinion ink windows are always helpful :thumbup:

You can get a regular 601 with ink windows. Just my personal preference but I think this nib is hideous - plus the MADE IN CHINA!!!! is super gauche. "MADE IN...anywhere" that prominent is just not my preference. To each his own. If you like it, knock yourself out.

A link to buy this pen?

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

I'd buy one, I love the nib and I don't give a fig for what's written on it if it writes well. I'm not spending a few dollars for something to put on my shelf and admire. But it gets my goat that they're always blooming fine nibs, aren't they? Is there no demand for something wider?

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I have nothing against homages.

Actually, I like them. A lot.

Gives me the possibility to use vintage pens without a care. And I am rough on my pens, I leave hem inked with iron gall, flush every blue moon, jot down something, leave uncapped and so on. It's a tool.

Was it a full Sheaffer homage (like the infamous Wing Sung 233) I'd be all over it, much like the controversial Wing Sung Balance.

But this is no homage. It's sort of a sacrilege.

Hmmm.... Would want a Wing Sung take on a Parker 45 but this looks quite interesting.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this one.

I'd buy one, I love the nib and I don't give a fig for what's written on it if it writes well. I'm not spending a few dollars for something to put on my shelf and admire. But it gets my goat that they're always blooming fine nibs, aren't they? Is there no demand for something wider?

Care to try to write proper Chinese on a say 6mm ruled notebook and you will understand why F is always preferred , not to mention those fine journal lined paper which demand even finer text .. a Medium nib likely would do still as good if one write cursive Latin based language but certainly stretching things a bit too far for writing any Chinese / Kenji / mixed ...

I have nothing against homages.

Actually, I like them. A lot.

Gives me the possibility to use vintage pens without a care. And I am rough on my pens, I leave hem inked with iron gall, flush every blue moon, jot down something, leave uncapped and so on. It's a tool.

Was it a full Sheaffer homage (like the infamous Wing Sung 233) I'd be all over it, much like the controversial Wing Sung Balance.

But this is no homage. It's sort of a sacrilege.

well actually not, cause this particular setup look exactly look a series of old vintage 50's and 60's old Lucky model including the ink windows , the difference now is that te old one actually use a vac fill mechanism ( and prone to fail )

Well you convinced me, I buy two, one of each . :) , together with 2 WS 601 with the new vacuum system and two old WS 233 (golden cap and Stainless Steel cap ) . :)

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Care to try to write proper Chinese on a say 6mm ruled notebook and you will understand why F is always preferred , not to mention those fine journal lined paper which demand even finer text .. a Medium nib likely would do still as good if one write cursive Latin based language but certainly stretching things a bit too far for writing any Chinese / Kenji / mixed ...

Yeah, I can understand that entirely, but there must be a fair number now of these pens that are sold outside China. If they offered M and B's, I would have thought they would sell many more.....?

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Yeah, I can understand that entirely, but there must be a fair number now of these pens that are sold outside China. If they offered M and B's, I would have thought they would sell many more.....?

A "fair number" isn't enough. It still doesn't justify why they should be making B nibs on a mass-production scale. There's a big chance of them losing money if they do choose to make B nibs because the market for B nibs isn't large enough in China and even outside of China, so they most likely won't sell more than they make.

That being said, I'm sure you can find M nibs. I know some of the Jinhao X750/X450 and the Wing Sung 6xx series come with them.

Thanks, (or) Hope that helped,

Rotring600user

I thought Chinese domestic market is humongous compared to anything they export. Just looking at the demographics.

Also, I have read it is mandatory to use fountain pens in official documents. This might explain how come Hero, among others, can produce so many models and inks and keep floating

• 2 weeks later...

After my experiences with the 618 and the 601 I have ordered one and waiting for its arrival.

I have also ordered a 233 as the nib on this pen looks the same and they do a fude nib for the 233 which may just fit the 601-A.

I have a bent nib fitted to my 601 and it is very, very good. So much so that my daughter has taken posession of it :( "Sigh!".

Never mind I'll just have to get another one :D.

This morning on Ebay I noticed the new Wing Sung 601A. It's interesting how they've now combined the Parker and Sheaffer pens. Of course I had to order one to try it out.

attachicon.gif s-l1600.jpg

I have just received this pen in the post today and all I can say is, "WOW!"

I ordered the Teal Blue which is nice enough but the nib is amazing for a fine/extra fine. There is even a little flex.

Did I mention how smooooooth the writing experience is?

No?

Well it is as smooth as a smooth thing writing smoothly. Even reverse writing where the line becomes extra, extra fine it is a smooth experience. Maybe I struck luck but based on the 601 and the 618 I have already this is just as good even a little better.

The pen in person looks waaaaaay better than the pictures suggest. I would even go so far as to say 'Handsome' and it looks different which is no bad thing. The combination of the Parker 5i body style with a wrap around nib just works.

The build quality is very good and the 'recoiling plunge piston' mechanism (that's what I'm going to call it from now on) works very smoothly and efficiently giving a full fill in three presses of the plunger button.

Did I say how smooth the nib is?

Never mind, just go and buy one and try for yourself.

Seller I got from on eBay was Art-Pen-Book-Dy (3550). I have bought from them before and have never had a problem. Prices very reasonable and service/communication excellent.

Edited by GreyPix

I had ordered a regular 601, but what I received today was the 601A. I don't like the looks of the nib at all, but I wasn't going to bother with the hassle of returning, so I decided to clean it and give it a try. Strange thing is that it came with an extra nib for the regular 601. I guess that will work in the 618 that I have.

I have to agree with GreyPix; this nib is very smooth. My experience is limited, but I have tried a few fine nibs, and none were as nice of a writing experience as this. Maybe the look of it will grow on me, but even if it doesn't, I'll probably get a lot of use out of it because I really like how it writes.

I had ordered a regular 601, but what I received today was the 601A. I don't like the looks of the nib at all, but I wasn't going to bother with the hassle of returning, so I decided to clean it and give it a try. Strange thing is that it came with an extra nib for the regular 601. I guess that will work in the 618 that I have.

I have to agree with GreyPix; this nib is very smooth. My experience is limited, but I have tried a few fine nibs, and none were as nice of a writing experience as this. Maybe the look of it will grow on me, but even if it doesn't, I'll probably get a lot of use out of it because I really like how it writes.

Yes, the look of this pen will be controversial which may lead to some interesting future discourse but I am glad to read it is not just I that has received a smooth writing fine/extra fine nib.

As I previously stated I particularly like the 'unusiual' look of this pen. It is...….. somewhat unique, but can understand why some may not like it.

One thing that can't be argued though (unless you get a 'dog') is the writing experience.

Being someone who prefers wet medium and broad nibs it is the first time I have ever seriously considered preferring a fine nib. It is a wet fine. I currently have the pen loaded with Diamine's Red Dragon and it is a good combination even allowing shading to be seen in the fine line laid down.

It will be interesting to read others experiences should they try the 601A out. I look forward to comments on the looks of the pen as well. That should be interesting. I doubt there will be any middle ground on that topic :D .