It Had To Happen, Parker 75 Advice

senzen

Where do you get the silver cloth in the UK, please?

H Samuel (on many UK high streets) sell one for (approx) £5.

(Been a few years since I bought, so prices may have risen accordingly)

pseudo88: Hope the 75 arrives in nice condition. As some others have mentioned, I'd go for just using the pen, straight away - and then do any repairs or servicing, as required. If it has been in constant use, it may be fine 'out of the box'. If standing unused for years, a simple flush may do it.

When I first started repairing and servicing (my own) pens, I went through a phase of dismantling everything I bought, before using it. I probably wasted 75% of my time! Now (as long as ink flows through it) I give pens an extended usage test, before doing anything. Surprisingly, the simple act of continuous writing gets many pens back on their feet

Enjoy.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• pajaro

• Erik Dalton

• Boz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi! I've been using a 75 for some time now, I have a fine 14K gold nib and find it is very smooth, medium in terms of wetness. I have been using Noodler's Air Corps blue black, but recently am trying out Diamine. Currently using Twilight or 1864 Anniversary Blue-Black! The Diamine is not as prone to nib creep as the Noodler's is, but the pen writes well with anything I've tried in it. To clean, I just pull the nib/feed from the section and soak both in cool water. I've never had a problem with it, and I find the pen is not prone to drying out if capped. Hope you enjoy. I write a lot, and my 75 is my favorite daily writer. I use cartridges that I refill with a syringe, so I can use any bottled ink. My pen did come with a converter, but I prefer to fill my cartridges. Good luck!

Hi! I've been using a 75 for some time now, I have a fine 14K gold nib and find it is very smooth, medium in terms of wetness. I have been using Noodler's Air Corps blue black, but recently am trying out Diamine. Currently using Twilight or 1864 Anniversary Blue-Black! The Diamine is not as prone to nib creep as the Noodler's is, but the pen writes well with anything I've tried in it. To clean, I just pull the nib/feed from the section and soak both in cool water. I've never had a problem with it, and I find the pen is not prone to drying out if capped. Hope you enjoy. I write a lot, and my 75 is my favorite daily writer. I use cartridges that I refill with a syringe, so I can use any bottled ink. My pen did come with a converter, but I prefer to fill my cartridges. Good luck!

Thanks, great info!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I was thinking I wouldn't buy any more 75s since I have them in hundreds and not in dozens :). But last night I couldn't resist buying an early production (0 marked numbered feed) USA made Sterling Silver Keepsake finish in very good condition and for a very good price.

The 75 actually is the only C/C Parker that I like.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks everyone, finally got it! It was very easy to clean, the nib is smooth and it's comfortable to hold, which is what mattered to me. It's in good condition, only when looking at it up close can I notice some... Clouding of the surface? Can't think of the proper term.

I was slightly taken aback by how light it is, the cap in particular feels a little... Chintzy? But when I cap the pen it feels very satisfying. It got me thinking how we are used to certain aspects, like expecting some heft in luxury goods, independently of whether that actually denotes quality. You can see here other notions of luxury, that Le Man 100 looks and feels massive in comparison, the Sonnet also has more heft to it.

fpn_1537981939__75_et_al.jpg

Now trying it with Jacques Herbin Bleu Austral, right from the beginning there seem to be zero starting or skipping issues, which is awesome, and this pen and ink seem to make sense to me, even if that's completely irrational.

On a side note, I got a new Schmidt k5 converter for it, but it didn't fit; just swapped a Parker converter I had in a Muji, problem solved; and that K5 does fit the Muji perfectly... Weird.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Very nice pen collection. Beautiful P-75 pinstripe. So glad you were able to get your pen writing the way you like it to. 👍 Enjoy.

Very nice pen collection. Beautiful P-75 pinstripe. So glad you were able to get your pen writing the way you like it to. Enjoy.

Thanks! The more I use it the more I like it. The nib is something special, I've already tried a few inks, seems to be doing wonders for Sailor Souten, let's see if it lasts, I mean with respect to evaporation.

B. Russell

Would this 75 be considered vintage, or is it not old enough?

B. Russell

In my opinion, every Parker 75 in vintage. It's not like the word antique that sometimes has a year range attached to it (except with cars).

In my opinion, every Parker 75 in vintage. It's not like the word antique that sometimes has a year range attached to it (except with cars).

Thanks! Given that this little hobby eventually took me to 25 pens, I think I need to pause and ponder before stepping into possibly even deeper waters... Or quick sand :D .

The 75 keeps growing on me, Souten keeps consistently coming out as a medium blue, which in my book is high praise: doesn't evaporate, unlike its descendant Sonnets, smooth nib, easy maintenance, classic good looks, the clutch inside the cap makes for quick and satisfying capping... The 75 has a lot going for it.

B. Russell

Thanks! Given that this little hobby eventually took me to 25 pens, I think I need to pause and ponder before stepping into possibly even deeper waters... Or quick sand :D .

The 75 keeps growing on me, Souten keeps consistently coming out as a medium blue, which in my book is high praise: doesn't evaporate, unlike its descendant Sonnets, smooth nib, easy maintenance, classic good looks, the clutch inside the cap makes for quick and satisfying capping... The 75 has a lot going for it.

About fifty years after first wanting a Parker 75 Sterling Cisele I finally got one in EF. It is a pretty good pen. Worth the $85. You probably already have some pens that are as good. Still, it is an interesting piece of the Parker story. Worth trying one of the 75s.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 year later...

After a very long time of trying and failing to get hold of a Ciselé at a reasonable price, finally managed it. Fine nib, again perfectly smooth, this time made in the US, sold in Japan, in pretty good shape, the cap snaps in place well, works fine and gets along great with Ama Iro.

20032409022524960416705201.jpg

The only odd bit is that I see faint undulations in the section, only perceptible against the light, doesn't seem to affect the functioning. I just need to get hold of more Parker converters, the one I had is really stiff.

B. Russell

I find that a polished P75 in Cisele finish with the conical nib in good condition is, under good lighting and positioning, the most attractive pen in photographs.

Many professional photographers have displayed their perfectly crafted photos of numerous other pens but, to me, none come close to the P75.