Kyo No Oto No. 1 Nurebairo

jandrese

Let's cut to the chase. This ink is so beautiful and interesting I want badly to love it and use it all the time. A rich deep black with amazing purple/metallic/bronze sheen. It's not black, it's dark blue, which is all the more beguiling. It helps my adoration. that my wife has asian hair that is exactly like this color, raven black.

Problem is that this ink is a problem child. It dries in the nib faster than lightening and on some paper never dries. I'm left handed too making drying issue worse. When it dries it says put, which is great for a super saturated ink that sheens like this one, but dang. It works more or less in a wet writing pen like my Pilot 823 Amber with broad nib. The ability to seal the pen up also helps.

I tried diluting the ink but as you can see below at 50% or 1:1 the magic is gone. Currently, I'm trying 10% or 9:1 with a tiny drop of glycerin. Jury is still out but even the dilution being 90% ink it seems the magic is mostly gone albeit it seems to behave in the pen, and on the paper, better.

I wan to conquer this ink. Oh, nurebairo, why won't you love me as much as I love you?

44757389952_172242bae6_k.jpg

43896989785_3729c9f75c_k.jpg

Paper chromatography. Yeah, not waterproof at all. And not black.

43896990095_454e720e4f_b.jpg

Maybe it isn't all blue... There seems to be a little tan or yellow fringe.

43896989855_471cb474e4_m.jpg

43896990515_818626be63_h.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• visvamitra

Whaaa?

Im so sorry for you. Mine has been an angel.

Pens Ive used it in, Edison Hudson Ef, Namiki Falcon SF. Pilot 912 PO. All dreamlike.

I hope you conquer it, I can see how much you like it. : )

Sorry to hear about your difficulties! Nurebairo hasn't had any issues like what you're describing for me. The only time it's dried on a nib has been in a Jinhao with a not-so-tight slip cap (everything dried in that pen because it didn't seal, and I threw it away eventually). Everything else has been fine. Off the top of my head, I can remember it going into a Namisu Nova (M), FC-02 (MCI), Nemosine Singularity (B), Pilot Elite (F), Pilot Falcon (SF), Pilot Parallel (the orange one... 2.4mm?), FC-31 (B), and FC-27 (Needlepoint).

This ink is one of my favorite "black" inks (as you say, it's not truly black). The written line is intensely dark, the sheen is beautiful, and the hidden blue makes it even cooler for me. Really hope you find a good pen to pair with it so you can enjoy it fully!

Whaaa?

Im so sorry for you. Mine has been an angel.

Pens Ive used it in, Edison Hudson Ef, Namiki Falcon SF. Pilot 912 PO. All dreamlike.

I hope you conquer it, I can see how much you like it. : )

That's good to hear. I did buy two more bottles so maybe I'll try those. Perhaps there are batch differences. There is a blogger with the same experience as me though so who knows.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties! Nurebairo hasn't had any issues like what you're describing for me. The only time it's dried on a nib has been in a Jinhao with a not-so-tight slip cap (everything dried in that pen because it didn't seal, and I threw it away eventually). Everything else has been fine. Off the top of my head, I can remember it going into a Namisu Nova (M), FC-02 (MCI), Nemosine Singularity ( B), Pilot Elite (F), Pilot Falcon (SF), Pilot Parallel (the orange one... 2.4mm?), FC-31 ( B), and FC-27 (Needlepoint).

This ink is one of my favorite "black" inks (as you say, it's not truly black). The written line is intensely dark, the sheen is beautiful, and the hidden blue makes it even cooler for me. Really hope you find a good pen to pair with it so you can enjoy it fully!

Ok, that makes two folks with opposite experience. I need to investigate further. I have tried three or four pens, but I've 150 more I can try.

Yikes! I thought the vintage Skrip V-Black I have dried slowly on the page....

Thanks for the review. And the heads up. If I try this one I will *definitely* see about getting a sample first.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Agreed with you on this ink -- it's intriguing. Haven't had these drying issues. Mostly use it on sugar cane paper.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have had problems with this ink drying in the pen over the course of even a couple hours while capped. The ink is very interesting while wet, but I think I'll have to find a different nuanced "black" ink to use for work.

Thanks for the review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Looks like tough beans fer me. An "almost black" but with a good hint or two of purple and/or other goodies makes an ink a fave of mine... but if it dries out in the nib before it reaches the paper... then all I can say is "Game ball!".

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I use it in an FPR Himalaya with a stub nib that just pours ink...a very wet writer. I love it in that pen. I tried it in a fine nib, drier pen and hated it...pale and not smooth writing.

Edited by dvalliere

• 2 months later...

I seems that I've domesticated Nurebairo. I've gotten very good results with 2% v/v Kodak Photo-Flo 200. No more drying in the nib super fast or stingy ink flow. Performance on paper is also better i.e. it dries faster and provides more lux experience. The only downside is a diminished amount of sheen, but it's still present and correct. Crossing fingers it works in all pens.

I do like that it is a really black black.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 11 months later...

Update: I can use this king of black inks full strength in my Delta Maasai LE with broad nib. No drying out and luscious ink flow. It's dreamy.

Update: I can use this king of black inks full strength in my Delta Maasai LE with broad nib. No drying out and luscious ink flow. It's dreamy.

:bunny01: