Kyonooto Hisoku

visvamitra

Kyonooto inks are made by or for Takeda Jimuki company and are available in two lines: Kyo No Oto and Kyo-Iro. Kyo no Oto inks are said to be traditional japanese colors that has been used since heian era (roughly 1000 years ago),and expressing a tinges that have been nurtured in long history and profound culture for long time.

I'm a huge fan of both lines and wanted to try two new inks as soon as I learned about them. Unfortunately, the cost of shipment from company's Rakuten shop is bonkers so I canceled my ordered. Happily, one of FPNers - MythicalUnicorn sent me a nice batch of ink samples to try. Hisoku was one of them. Thank you Daniel.

fpn_1537298302__hisoku_is.jpg

Hisoku can be described as a light steel blue with shading. It's averagely saturated and with average flow. The color, though, appeals to me. I think it looks cool.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1537298311__hisoku_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1537298325__hisoku_ox_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1537298338__hisoku_ox_4.jpg

Oxford, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1537298354__hisoku_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1537298397__hisoku_ox_2.jpg

No name calendar paper, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1537298416__hisoku_c_1.jpg

fpn_1537298436__hisoku_c_2.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1537298451__hisoku_tr_1.jpg

fpn_1537298475__hisoku_tr_2.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1537298488__hisoku_h2o.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• Tas

• dapprman

• Karmachanic

Oh goodness, it looks too light to be readable to me! I'd definitely try a sample first,since the murky tone is very appealing, it has a soothing, calming aura.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Great review, I just bought this ink, although it might take a while to get to me; jetpens had it at a decent price (no affiliation!). It looks very subtle, but then the shading is very interesting... So I'm thinking it might do well in a wet pen (?).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks once again for a very nice review.

The color seems too "watery" or washed out for my taste, but just on the rigt shide of blue-grey, bordering on teal for me.

I have absolutely no love for teal, but love blue-black and blue-grey inks.

Keep ´em coming.

I like the colour of the ink, but personally I found it to be extremely dry and I had flow problems in most the pens I tried it in, including traditional wet ones like OMAS 360 with a broad nib. Having said that it did work in my Pilot Custom 823, but that's a daily use pen and I can't say the same about the ink.

Available in the UK at Bureau Direct, Journal Shop and Hamilton Pen. 40ml bottles. Two of them are on my wish list.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Available in the UK at Bureau Direct, Journal Shop and Hamilton Pen. 40ml bottles. Two of them are on my wish list.

Keep an eye out for sales at The Journal Shop - have bought TAG Kyo inks there at half price before.

I love this one, but like Lgsoltek, I am amazed that Visvamitra thinks a teal is cool. I seem to recall one near-teal described as unicorn barf.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

This ink's color really reminds me of seeing Japanese ukiyo prints in person: No, it's not cobalt blue of the ocean, but rather murky greenish blue sometimes used for lakes and streams. I already have enough teal inks to last me years, but this one really intrigues me.

Thank you for the excellent review.

My guess is that this ink is way too light to be legible in fine and medium flow nibs. Dry fine nibs are excluded. Even in the broad nib in the review, it is light and watered down.

I will pass this ink.

Finally got it, it's very pale, but as noted, very calm too. I'm going to keep it in a Sonnet and a Vista for a couple of days, to see which one gets along better with it. Perhaps a very wet and flexy nib might bring out darker shading, but I like it even in its super light form.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 3 years later...
On 9/18/2018 at 8:41 PM, Tas said:

Once again, kindness making our world go around 🤗

Looks lovely. Doppelgänger for Herbin Vert de Gris?

Nope. I finally bought a bottle on a whim at the Royal Academy's gift store. It's more vivid and alive than Vert de Gris yet somehow remaining soft and muted. If Hisoku went for a bike ride through London on a wet grey November day then it'd end up looking like Vert de Gris.

I'm really enjoying mine and looking forward to pairing it with a nice orange in the very near future.

I love Hisoku, I keep it in two M205, one of which I foolishly sanded but luckily it works for this ink.

spacer.png

B. Russell